• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Search function - WORK

ameinild

First Post
We pay for the search function to work - it must work! I get the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /www/enworld.org/production/htdocs/forum/search.php on line 1156

Make it work, please, or make a refund for the time it's not working!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's working fine for me... is it still doing it? Anyone else having problems? Maybe it was just a momentary glitch.

ameinild

First Post
Still doing it, and done it a week ago also.. It worked when I signed up originally... There must have been a software update that messed up some stuff? No matter what, I don't expect the php script to return a fatal error - that means the script has an error somewhere... And I get the exact same error message each time, so please look into it...

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, I'm afraid I can't replicate the error, and have no idea why that's happening for you. So I've refunded you as requested and switched off your Community Supporter Account.

As it's Sunday morning, I can't look into it any more right now (gotta walk the dog!), but if I manage to figure anything out during the week I'll post here and you can decide if you want to repurchase or not. My hopes aren't high on finding the error, though, unless I can replicate it somehow.

ameinild

First Post
Well it's a little problematic that I can't test it myself right now, maybe using another browser - I'd much rather pay for a supporter account and it worked. Can you enable the search function for me, just for the time you're investigating this? Maybe I could help troubleshoot the problem then...
Also I really can't understand I could be the only person on the planet for whom the php script doesn't work - php is entirely server-side, so I can't really see how it could behave differently, unless there are other technologies mixed in...

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
No matter what, I don't expect the php script to return a fatal error - that means the script has an error somewhere... And I get the exact same error message each time, so please look into it...

I have been unable to reproduce any error in search, either.

If you get the exact same error each time, and nobody else does, then your end of things is part of the equation - either your configuration, or some odd interaction between your config and the search code, or something about your data connection... We are going to need more information from you to diagnose this.

What browser and operating system are you using? Were you running your search from the dropdown box or the advance search page? Were you searching the messageboards or the blogs?

ameinild

First Post
Yes please allow me to provide more info! Problem is, as I mentioned in the previous post, my search ability just got disabled, so I can't really test different things until I get it back again. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.17 on Windows XP. The error appeared both on search from the dropdown box, and on advanced search. I tried only to search the forum, haven't tested blog search, but I can try if you'd allow me to... What I don't get is, the search function DID work when I signed up for support account, it's only recently it didn't work.
I can also add that I have Fiber to the Home connection, static IP, an FTP server and web server running at home, both using PHP at my end. Of course it's not the same, but I haven't encountered any problems with connection, scripting or anything else.
Should this maybe be taken to the bug thread??? Afaic, it's a bug, but of course it's up to you how to handle it in the best way...

Last edited:

ameinild

First Post
Seems it works for everybody else... A little too strange if you ask me. Search on every other forum I've been to works, and that's lot's of other places! I've never ever seen this php error before.

cougent

First Post
It is also working for me from whatever level I am.

What parameters did you use in your search that failed? I know you probably tried several; and it should not matter in the first place; but it can't hurt to duplicate exactly.

Remove ads