Season 4 Curse of Strahd and Adventurers League

Coredump

Explorer
There is one 5-hour (the intro), seven 2-hour, six 4-hour and the Epic is 4 hours this time (instead of the previous 3).

Well... that was very fast and informative. :)

So lets push my luck... the AMA discussed some LGS only content, separate from 'expeditions' and separate from the hardback. Is that happening for Season 4? (I heard Season 4 was going to use content from the hardback, as in the past seasons.)

So lets push my luck... the AMA discussed some LGS only content, separate from 'expeditions' and separate from the hardback. Is that happening for Season 4? (I heard Season 4 was going to use content from the hardback, as in the past seasons.)

The rules/delivery for the Launch event is being done the new way, but the material for this season is from the Hardback (though I'm not specifying what that is or what part of it.) Future Launch Events will not always use material from the releasing book. Sometimes it will be totally unique.

Cascade

First Post
There is one 5-hour (the intro), seven 2-hour, six 4-hour and the Epic is 4 hours this time (instead of the previous 3).

awesome...looking forward to it. I'm an old Ravenloft fan.

We'll see by mid season how the "continuous aspect" works out. For new players just getting in it may be a problem but we can also add pre-season 4 stuff.

Is the intro for only level 1 then? (got lots of DM credit for a new character).

awesome...looking forward to it. I'm an old Ravenloft fan.

We'll see by mid season how the "continuous aspect" works out. For new players just getting in it may be a problem but we can also add pre-season 4 stuff.

Is the intro for only level 1 then? (got lots of DM credit for a new character).

Its 1-2 like previous seasons.

CBattles6

First Post
In a vacuum, this is a pretty neat concept.

But the idea that this is the "new" version of Expeditions is just silly. It actually has much more in common with Encounters—the only difference is that we have to purchase all the adventures separately. This is no longer a "drop-in, drop-out," "convention-style" experience. In fact, I imagine that these new adventures will be more difficult for conventions to run as well.

As someone who has organized a weekly, dedicated Expeditions group since day 1, these changes are really disappointing. The players in my group like Expeditions because it's a more casual, flexible experience. If real life gets in the way, no problem—they're not required to come every week. If they want to play one week and DM the next, that's perfectly fine as well. Not only are my players and DMs now being expected to pay for the adventures, they're all but guaranteed a lesser experience if they can't make it every week. So, basically, the things they didn't like about Encounters.

I understand that you guys have to make certain changes to keep DDAL viable, but let's at least call a spade a spade—this is a re-design of the entire program, plain and simple. Which is fine!—I'm sure some people will be more interested in this iteration. But I'm becoming increasingly concerned that these changes are the beginning of the end for my group.

Raddu

Explorer
In a vacuum, this is a pretty neat concept.

But the idea that this is the "new" version of Expeditions is just silly
I understand that you guys have to make certain changes to keep DDAL viable, but let's at least call a spade a spade—this is a re-design of the entire program, plain and simple. Which is fine!—I'm sure some people will be more interested in this iteration. But I'm becoming increasingly concerned that these changes are the beginning of the end for my group.

It is a new foray into a tighter story for the D&D Adventurers League adventures. The previous encounters were one long story, this is still a series of separate adventures, but they're tied more closely together than we have in the past. I doubt we'll still with this tight of a storyline in the future, it just made sense for this season.

I wouldn't say that. This is a one-shot mini-campaign that we've been planning for about 1.5 years. The things that happen in season 4 still affect the over all Moonsea meta-plot, but after this season, we will likely go back to the more traditional style, though we'll be taking feedback as well. You shouldn't expect however that every season will always be the same. That's that only thing I can tell you for certain is not going to be true.

warfteiner

First Post
This has all been a long time coming - like Greg mentioned, we've known for about a year and a half and it's AWESOME that we can finally talk about it!

I've been really pleased with the work from our adventure designers so far on season 4, and I'm thinking that you'll all be keen on the final narrative - it is *definitely* worthwhile to play these adventures sequentially. It's just odd timing for the rollout of this series and the announcement of Encounters/ Expeditions... totally wasn't planned (seriously, it wasn't).

As always, we will need your feedback. Once you've played the adventures let us know your thoughts on adventures, themes, overall season structure, and designers - it's how we grow.

CBattles6

First Post
I wouldn't say that. This is a one-shot mini-campaign that we've been planning for about 1.5 years. The things that happen in season 4 still affect the over all Moonsea meta-plot, but after this season, we will likely go back to the more traditional style, though we'll be taking feedback as well. You shouldn't expect however that every season will always be the same. That's that only thing I can tell you for certain is not going to be true.
I'll take you at your word regarding the future, but the fact is that to this point, every season has been essentially the same. The issue, at least for me, is that all these changes are taking place at the same time. As an organizer, I'm being asked both to evaluate a new iteration of the program and to pay for it. I have to decide, without much to go on, whether or not this will all be ultimately worthwhile for my group.

And for a rank-and-file player, who doesn't take the time to follow forums and AMAs and these discussions, the message is "We're doing something different, and it's not how you've been playing for the past 18 months, and there's a cost involved." That many of the players in my group are balking at these developments isn't terribly surprising.

Remove ads