Season 4 Curse of Strahd and Adventurers League

Ainulindalion

First Post
Well, this just completely mucked up my first draft of a convention plan for mid-April. I hope you guys post the release schedule in the next day or two so I can actually work with some details.

*deletes planned Tier 3 Season 4 double length module*

*deletes most of the rest of his planning as well*

I hate you all. Keep up the good work.

Well, this just completely mucked up my first draft of a convention plan for mid-April. I hope you guys post the release schedule in the next day or two so I can actually work with some details.

Yup, should be posted soon. 4-1 is 5 hrs and 4-2 and 4-3 are both 2 hours (as they are posted on multiple con websites)

Both adventures are designed to be played in 2 hours with information (and material) to expand them to 4 hours if the DM/Table/convention desires.

That makes it up to you as an organizer. At the local con I am running the spring, I have them each set for a 4 hour block.

Cascade

First Post
Whats the release date(s) for the first 3 season 4 mods?

We have a Con in mid March that we're also working on schedules for...

Steve_MND

First Post
That's why we encourage a new 1st-level character and once you start playing this series, you cannot play anything else with that PC until you find a way out of the demiplane. That makes it basically self-contained and separate for the for the season; sort of a mini-campaign.

No, I get that. I just feel that is not a good idea (IMHO) to try and add something along those lines -- with the whole Ravenloft/demiplane/trapped etc. -- in an already existing continuous open-format drop-in type of Organized Play campaign like AL currently is. It follows from the same arguments and concerns several of us had when the idea of Ravenloft was first brought up a month or two ago. I like the idea of a self-contained storyline, etc., but I don't like the idea of it being something that existing players can operate within. Had it been it's own, separate, self-contained bit, and not a 'season' with the gothic horror being shoehorned into the existing campaign, I would have been much less apprehensive about it.

Like I said, I'll hold off final judgement until I see the full Season 4 guidebook, etc., but I still have my concerns over the need to 'shoehorn' elements each season (such as 'madness' in Season 3, which I feel did not work properly at all) into the main campaign storyline here. A strict, tightly-constrained storyline -- while I love the idea -- does not work well with the sort of campaign AL is supposed to be -- by which I mean a 'hey, drop in when you can, don't worry about playing mods out of order, or if you can't make a session, etc.').

I love the idea of a tightly-connected storyline like this. In fact, I'd love to see more of these, but as a completely self-contained, standalone side offering of sort, and not as part of the main AL continuity. Gonna be messy for a lot of players, DMs and stores alike. For a lot of players with existing characters, Season 4 is just going to mean the AL campaign is 'on pause' for them until Season 5. Gonna be hard for a lot of players to come back from six-month absence.

Last edited:

with the sort of campaign AL is supposed to be

I would note that this statement in particular is something that we'll stretch many times over upcoming seasons. We plan to try lots of new things, evolve and change, so to say AL is suppose to be a specific thing and always that, well, that's going to be hard. We want to offer lots of ways to play.

Mirtek

Hero
I still can't see the need for this restrictive rule. Sure, playing this way may lead to the most enjoyment, but I rather have less enjoyment than not playing at all.

I mean the fact that there need crutches build in to deal with the side-effects of this special rule should show that it's not a good idea.

What's wrong with "For optimal enjoyment of this season it's strongly recommended that you play them in order and don't play non-S4-mods inbetween, but if you're fine with having a less great time then knock yourself out"?
We want to offer lots of ways to play.
But why must they occasionaly become less inclusive?

What is really gained by forcing it instead of merely strongly recommending it?

CBattles6

First Post
What's wrong with "For optimal enjoyment of this season it's strongly recommended that you play them in order and don't play non-S4-mods inbetween, but if you're fine with having a less great time then knock yourself out"?
To be fair, I don't read it as a requirement. Here's what the announcement says:

For maximum enjoyment of this season the intent is that you start 4-1 Suits of the Mist with a 1st-level character, then play 4-2, the 4-3, and so on following in order until your character is 8th-level at the end of the fourteen part series.

I would characterize that as more "strongly recommending" than "forcing."

Remove ads