Season 9 Adventure changes

FarBeyondC

Explorer
Er, maybe I'm missing something. But it seems to be designed to prevent "season hopping". Now your character is tied to a specific season and can't get rewards from other seasons.

How do the rules...not prevent that?

The rules prevent "season hopping", which affects story awards (some of which are nice) and acquisition of untradeable items from the seasons. However, all other items are still available to off-season characters through trading or DM Quests, so people will still game the system for those.

I think he means that players will still be able to game the system.

That you mightn't game it in this special way doesn't outweigh the disadvantages.

But that's just a guess.

It's a good, correct guess.

jasper

Rotten DM
Most story awards do beep jack. At least for the DDAL ones. Two have you retire your pc. Others allows some minor benefit. Hey I gets a free bee for life. Limited to down town Slapout Alabama. Hey 10% merchant discount for the Tower of London, Only. Of, the cult of Alabama American Football hate me I get disadvantage, too bad I going to Florida Chult next adventure. Some give you advantage or disadvantage on social situations against a specific race, gee the Fey hate me. I was going to kill that pixie any way.
They will just buy magic from the evergreen list, or that seasons list. And then travel with their whopping stick to season 9.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Story awards may have greater effect in Season 9.

Without having to worry about your characters also having them in Season 10, you can increase some pay-offs.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Update based on Lysa's explanation in Adventurers Wanted:

* You choose a season when you create your character
* Content from Seasons 1-8 count as one (mega) season
* Content from Seasons 9+ are individual seasons

So for a new character, you could create a "pre-Season 9" character or a "Season 9" character. And eventually, Season 10...

Cheers!

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
If you have no interest in AL, I have good news for you: your games are totally unaffected!

What about those of us who do have interest in AL? I run games at my FLGS and I'd really love to run AL because it increases the available pool of players (many players only want to do AL). But I currently run "homebrew" because AL just keep making the special rules more and more and more burdensome, which is a problem for my regular players.

What about those of us who do have interest in AL? I run games at my FLGS and I'd really love to run AL because it increases the available pool of players (many players only want to do AL). But I currently run "homebrew" because AL just keep making the special rules more and more and more burdensome, which is a problem for my regular players.

If I was a DM running at an FLGS (which I used to do, but don't anymore) I would take the easiest approach for me; run an AL legal adventure but allow non AL legal characters. "Play want you want. If you want to play AL legal, then do so, but I don't care and will not be 'checking the validity' of your characters.'

I thought the 'new' AL was supposed to be about bringing new players into the game, not making some exclusive club with lots of secret/complicated rules.

jasper

Rotten DM
Seasonality
As we move forward we’d like to offer cool and unique play opportunities for each story. Sometimes this may take the form of variant character creation guidelines, some it might involve specialized magical items as treasure, and sometimes it might include unique play opportunities.
(But dad, you said PC creation was limited to 27 point buy or standard array from PHB 13. So is each season going forward going to me I got have learn a new creation method? Daddy you joking in Season 8 you locked behind the story wall all the interesting magic items. You call them Story items. And went back said some of the stuff you gave were now story items. You made to turn them in for treasure points. I remember “Unique” from when stationed in West Berlin. I still think that word is being used in place of something that will get beeped.)
To facilitate this manner that provides equal opportunity to everyone, starting in September 2019, we’re going to be asking players to create a new character at the beginning of each season.
(Dad, this is looking like a demand.)
Your nee characters will be able to play ALL the content from the new season, ( Like I do now Daddy with DDAL0x season modules and the hard cover) they may play any CCC content ( We already do that), and they may participate in Dreams of the Red Wizards non-seasonal campaign (cool new content). In all such play, your character will rewards … normally. (Dad. We already do that!).
Story Awards
While you can certainly play that character in an adventure from an older season, (them is the rules daddyo) the character may not gain access to story rewards or magic items unlocks from those earlier seasons. (Wait a minute Father is a major rule change to rule change you started doing last September). They can only gain story rewards and magic item unlocks from the season which they built. (Daddy this being mean. You are forcing me to start over and only follow your new story. Or no magic for me.)
Likewise, story rewards received during a given season can only be utilized when playing content from that season, (Most story awards don’t carry over, or only have a minor effect after the season) and if our character has a story based magic item we will provide an alternate version to use in adventures that are not part of the season your character was built to play in. (Cool daddy I get a cool magic item only to have depowered when you say so). This includes CCC (oops daddy that is hinting some CCC maybe become locked to a season) and Dreams of the Red Wizards adventure content. (Dreams. This sounds like bad dreams.)
FAQ. (Okay I tired of retyping the article).
Why are we doing this?
(New players need a level field. But daddy if they are new they low level. And if Merric has already played in Season 09-01 and got the magic item unlock; then Ned Newby is going to unpowered playing with him in Season09-02 module.)
(D&D is not an MMO. So we are going season things instead releasing new campaign areas. Um Daddy it would be a MMO. Each season would require a new pc. Or me just grinding through for the Story. Psst. Daddy I have read better books than the modules story lines).
What a benefit to me? (This season it is a rare race unlocked if you start at the beginning. Offer not good for your old pcs).
If you play a (new) tiefling in season 9 (you get wings) (Wait minute I thought winged pcs were a no no unless they had magical wings.) If you play a (new) aasimar (You get wings. AND extra bonus break the AL PHB +1 rules)
Can I bring in Ragnar the Red my 11th level barbarian? YES. But he is now first level with nothing. (But daddy AL said you can’t rebuild after tier 1.)
Ok enough me hacking at this idea. I being doing AL since July of 2016 and Dming since September of 2016. You now saying people must start over with a new pc every season. Or face a penalty. The new pc will face a penalty for playing outside the season. When a new season rolls over, my last season pc is now like my other pcs.
Daddy let me explain some things which are happening at my local shop. I am the only DM who is dming Season 8, all the others have bailed. Others have started doing homebrew. Others have left to play Magic. Some of the players running in my Mad Mage campaign are taking no progression.
Daddy let me explain some things you did not do correctly for Season 8. You wait to the last two weeks before dropping some the rule changes. You drop changes for a couple of months and did not allow people to grandfather in the changes (especially the renown). The documentation for this is scattered over three plus documents and DMG. You promise magic item unlock cards for each of the adventures, this still have not happen. You took away block text, and left me figuring out how to run the module. I takes me read the adventure three times to know what to tell the pcs, and what information is secret. You released 19 DDAL adventures, which run from Tier 1 to Tier 4. Seven of these are Tier 1, so I could have level up to Tier 2 twice. Six are Tier 2. And three each for the other tiers. Just running these modules I would not get to tier 4. I would have to supplement with farming certain dungeon levels in Dungeon of the Mad Mage.
Please can you tell the real reason of why these additional changes are happening? Without the nice marketing language.

Nagol

Unimportant
Update based on Lysa's explanation in Adventurers Wanted:

* You choose a season when you create your character
* Content from Seasons 1-8 count as one (mega) season
* Content from Seasons 9+ are individual seasons

So for a new character, you could create a "pre-Season 9" character or a "Season 9" character. And eventually, Season 10...

Cheers!

That update reassures me somewhat. I have time to play 2-3 times per season. I skipped two of the last 3 because of the (for me) draconian season rules (get locked in Ravenloft! Adventure with only 25% of your hp and stay dead if you die!). The league would be completely unavailable if it required 1 character per season and I had to hunt around for an adventure worth playing on those few occasions where I am available. At least with all 8 of the early seasons in one lump, I can probably find someone running something compatible.

Remove ads