Selan- A SE Asian campaign (Critical rebuilding)

questing gm

First Post
Its me again !

Great to see all these new updates and have been keeping up with them ! Hai Aikuchi !

The moment i read the previous post, i immediately thought of the floating markets of Bangkok. I had seen pictures of Bangkok in a sort of like Venice-nesque (though haven't been there before).

Since it is a river delta, houses could most likely need to be build on stilts while boats and/or longboats are the main transportations and can also be accomadation for the poorer folks.

I'm sure if you did a little search for images for the floating markets Bangkok, you would find exactly what i mean...(except the boats for house, though longboats overloded with goods for sell is some of the common sights in Bangkok.) :heh:

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Cheers Questing, good to have you back.

Glad you like the ideas coming up, I've had some spirits inspiring me from time to time. :D

I like the idea of a stilt city, though I can't help thinking of an old town I did based on one the ages in Myst (the PC game) back in the day. Of course, that would require giant trees as well. Maybe not. haha

Bangkok, eh? Cool. I have some maps of Siam from the 19th century, which is cool, maybe make a blend of the two.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Thanks, WayneLigon!

I recall seeing it in an advertisement in a Dragon magazine quite some time ago. It looks very good, and cheap, too!

May have to place an order at my gaming store.

Aikuchi

Transient
oer. .

its kinda funny. Because my city prides itslef on being the melting pot for 3 major ethnic groups as well as other smaller imnorities and it was ... both a city capitol was a trade center when it was first constructed back in colonial days along a RIVER MUD DELTA!

Coincidence ? :D

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
With university starting up, haven't had a lot of time to write up material, but am in the middle of writing and adapting regional feats for the Coalition of Selan, and nearby areas, and will post within the week.

Unfortunately, I've hit a bit of a brick wall in class development right now, and will get back to them once inspiration hits me again.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Regional Feats, Part 1: Coalition

First post of the regional feats. This covers the Selanese Protectorates only, right now, with other regions following later. Will add in the regions each feat belongs to if requested. I've added Regional skills and feats to the Protectorate entries upthread.

Regional Feats
You may only select regional feats as a first level character. You may only have one regional feat.

Born in the Saddle (regional)
You have trained extensively in defensive riding techniques.
Benefit: You can take 10 on ride checks, even if rushed or threatened. If you or your mount fails a reflex save while mounted, you can attempt a Ride check to succeed on the saving throw. The save is successful if your Ride check is equal to or greater than the spell’s save DC. You can attempt to do this once per round for either yourself or your mount. If both you and your mount fail a Reflex save against the same effect, your Ride check applies to both your save and your mount’s save.

Cosmopolitan (Regional)
You’ve been lied to more times than you can count. This history has made you intimately familiar with the deceit, guile, and double-speak of city folk.
Region: Selan Jalaja or Parjanha.
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on Bluff, Gather Information, and Sense Motive checks.

Chitesh Inquisitor (regional)
Your training with the magistrates of Chitesh makes you harder to fool.
Benefit: You gain a +3 bonus on Sense motive checks, and on Spot checks to detect false documents made with the Forgery skill, and to see through Disguises. Additionally, you are permitted to travel freely within the Coalition.

Cosmopolitan (Regional)
You’ve been lied to more times than you can count. This history has made you intimately familiar with the deceit, guile, and double-speak of city folk.
Region: Selan Jalaja or Parjanha.
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on Bluff, Gather Information, and Sense Motive checks.

Dharmesh Imperial Guard (regional)
You have performed your duty in the Imperial Guard of Dharmesh, and are familiar with a wide variety of weaponry.
Benefit: You are proficient in all martial weapons.

Discipline (regional)
Your people are admired for their single-minded devotion and clarity of purpose. You are difficult to distract by spell or blow.
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on Will saves, and a +2 bonus on Concentration checks.

Great Intellect (regional)
You are gifted with a keen intellect, and can use your reason in unusual situations.
Benefit: You may use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Wisdom modifier when making Heal, Sense motive, Spot, or Survival checks. You may also use your Intelligence modifier instead of Wisdom when making a Will saving throw.

Great Teamwork (regional)
Your people stress solidarity and teamwork.
Benefit: You can more easily flank opponents with your allies. When determining whether an opponent is flanked, as long as you are adjacent to the opponent, you can treat your position as though you were standing in any other square adjacent to both your own position and your opponent’s.

Haima Defender (regional)
You’ve been trained to repel certain special techniques during your military service.
Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus on Strength checks to resist being bull rushed or overrun. If you make an attack of opportunity against a creature trampling you, you do not take a -4 penalty. If you attempt a Reflex save to avoid a trample attack, you gain a +4 bonus on that saving throw.
If you are mounted, your mount gains all these bonuses as well.

Haima War Smith (Regional)
Your people are well trained in the crafts of war, and know how to make durable items.
Benefit: When you use the Craft skill to create a masterwork item of war, such as a weapon, armour, or shield, it gains an additional 2 points of hardness and 10 hit points.

Horselore (regional)
You’re good with horses.
Benefit: You gain a +3 bonus on Ride checks when riding a horse and Handle Animal checks when dealing with horses. All horses have an initial attitude of friendly toward you

Mercantile Background (regional) –under revision-
You come from a wealthy family with numerous contacts in the trading costers and crafting guilds within the Coalition. You can get a good deal on nearly anything you buy or sell.
Benefit: When you sell goods, you get 75% of the listed price instead of 50%. Once per month you can buy any single item for 75% of the offered price. Additionally, you also receive an extra (???gp) to spend as you see fit at character creation.

Mind over Body (regional) –under revision-
The Ascetics and mystics of your homeland have learned to overcome the frailties of the body with the unyielding power of the mind.
Benefit: At 1st level, you may use your Intelligence or Charisma modifier (your choice) to determine bonus hit points (for all ensuing levels you revert to your Constitution modifier). You gain+1 hit point every time you learn a metamagic feat. If you can cast arcane spells, you gain a +1 insight bonus to AC.

Naga Blooded (regional)
The taint of the Naga is present in your blood. No outward signs give away your heritage, but you are something more (or less) than human.
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on Fortitude saves against Poison, and gain a +2 bonus on initiative checks. You start with 1 point of Taint, and suffer a -2 penalty on fortitude saves against Taint.

Resist Taint (regional)
Your resolve against the enemy makes you resistant to the Taint of the Naga.
Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus on saving throws to resist acquiring Taint, against Taint-related Kaiu Ainu spells, and the supernatural abilities of Tainted creatures.

Satvinder Corsair (regional)
You feel at home on the waves, and are no stranger to sea chases, or blood on the decks.
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on Balance and Profession (Sailor) checks. You ignore any hampered movement for fighting on pitching or slippery decks, and gain a +1 dodge bonus during any fight that takes place on or in a boat or ship.

Satvinder Militiaman (regional)
You have trained with the Militia of Selan Satvinder and are familiar with their tactics.
Benefit: You are proficient with the Scimitar, Shortbow, Composite Shortbow, and all spears. You may use your Dexterity bonus in place of Strength when using a Scimitar or Shortspear.

Satvinder Naga Hunter (Regional)
You know how to fight your enemies, the hated Naga.
Benefit: You gain Spirit (Naga) as a favoured enemy. This functions exactly as the ranger class feature, except it is only effective on Naga.
Special: If you gain favoured enemy from another source, such ranger levels, the bonuses stack.

Soul of the Mountain (regional)
You know how to make the most of terrain-inspired advantages when fighting in mountainous terrain.
Benefit: When fighting in mountainous terrain, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC.

Strong Soul (regional)
Your spirit is strongly tethered to the middle realm.
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on Fortitude and Will saves. This bonus increases to +3 against death and negative energy effects.

Tireless (regional)
You don’t know the meaning of the word quit.
Region: Putraya, People of the Whale
Benefit: You reduce the effects of exhaustion and fatigue by one step. You cannot become exhausted; if you are exposed to an effect or condition that would make you exhausted (such as the spell waves of exhaustion), you become fatigued instead. If an effect or condition (such as the end of barbarian rage) would make you fatigued, you suffer no penalty at all.

Tongue of the Naga (regional)
You possess the silver tongue attributed to the ancient Naga paragons.
Benefit: You only take a -5 penalty if you attempt a Diplomacy check as a full-round action. You gain a +2 bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy checks.

Well Read (regional)
Your readings have granted you extensive general knowledge about a wide range of affairs.
Benefit: All knowledge skills are considered class skills for you. You may make all Knowledge checks untrained even if the DC is 10 or higher.

Withstand (regional)
You have undergone training that enables you to resist extraordinary effects.
Benefit: Once per day you may make a Concentration check in place of a saving throw at the DC of the original save +5. If the Concentration check succeeds, you suffer no effect. If it fails, you are treated as if you had succeeded the saving throw normally.

Last edited:

lacedaemon

First Post
Sound of Azure said:
OK!

Here's the initial bare as bones campaign diary! :)

Races-

Definitely
Humans (various denominations and regions)
This is a very human-centric campaign, mainly in order to keep other creatures mysterious.

Out: Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Halfling, Half-Orc.
No, just no. I'm lazy, and don't want to create a rationale for having them there (at least, as PCs).

What about Homo floresiensis

the extinct small human relatives found in asia they could be halflings not that I recommend them as a player race but encounters would be fine

Remove ads