• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sell me on the RPGA

Thorntangle

First Post
Emiricol said:
Is it still the case that you have to actually GO to a Con to get your DM certificate (or whatever it was). I recall I gave up on RPGA mainly because there's no RPGA events near me, so I couldn't get the certs, so I couldn't start RPGA events near me... bleh.

I hope that's changed.
It's changed. Now you just need to take the online herald-level test. Multiple choice, open book, repeatable until you pass.

rpace

First Post
I joined the RPGA for Living Greyhawk and, to a much lesser extent, Living City. Both went through some radical changes that soured me on them, but LG is still quite popular.

I was thinking the RPGA was pretty much done for as far as I was concerned -- I decided to concentrate more on home game stuff and started reading a pile of gaming books -- one had a real nice RuneQuest/Glorantha, Empire of the Petal Throne feel with other nifty elements coming in from all sides; elves as eternal warriors, dwarves as a cursed race, lizardmen as exiles in the world of man, gnomes as the disfigured offspring of humans and dwarves. Can't forget the divine-touched Vals or the Infernal-blooded Dark-Kin.

It turned out this D20 book I bought for the cover, Codex Arcanis, was also an RPGA campaign -- I never looked at the last page of the book!

Living Arcanis turned out to be the RPGA campaign for me. The gaming environment is richer, deadlier and greyer than any of the other Living Campaigns. My trip to this past GenCon was made to really just play the three rounds of LA events -- especially the conclusion to the second year story arc.

Since the campaign began, both Green Ronin's Freeport and Atlas' Nyambe have found their place in LA.

The campaign management has been both dynamic and approachable. Rules changes have been made with an eye to both campaign longevity and player enjoyment.

Reports from Winter Fantasy and GenCon peg LA as the second largest RPGA campaign after Living Greyhawk -- a position its earned, in my opinion.

~Richard
(BTW -- I liked the campaign so much I started doing some work for the company -- if only for the perks of seeing some material before other LA players :D )

Remove ads