Sell me on Traveller

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I've certainly heard about Traveller, but apart from the whole "you can die during character creation" thing I know next to nothing about it, and I doubt that's a part of the current game. There's a pretty great Humble Bundle going right now with the 2022 update rules. What's the game like? Why should I buy this Bundle?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Traveller is my favorite sci-fi RPG. The highlights for me are the random chargen story creation method, flat character progression, hard(er) sci-fi. Easy to learn and play.

That bundle includes alot of supplements and adventure material. The Pirates of Drinax campaign is a space empire building sandbox.

Awhile back I started a series of threads on Traveller:
chargen
Setting
Editions

Seth Skorkowski has made a ton of Traveller videos kind the ones posted that are informative and entertaining.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've certainly heard about Traveller, but apart from the whole "you can die during character creation" thing I know next to nothing about it, and I doubt that's a part of the current game. There's a pretty great Humble Bundle going right now with the 2022 update rules. What's the game like? Why should I buy this Bundle?
The portion of the game that led to potential for death during rolling is still part of the game, and still a big part of the draw IMO. The life path random rolling can quickly create a unique personality with a distinct history and set of experiences. The current ruleset includes more narrative events as part of the tablea, the original rules leave it more to the imagination.

In practice, it is a very simple game: roll 2d6 for everything (modern rules give 3d6 and drop lowest for advantage and drop highest for disadvantage). Rolling an 8 is usually a success, but the DM can assign an array of DCs, but the 2d6 math makes even a +1 to a Skill a big deal. A +3 makes you a Wunderkind.

I think there are some free quickstart rules out: I would suggest taking those and rolling up a couple characters (very quick process) to see what sorts of characters you can get from it.

If it gives a good idea of the kind of Sci-Fi and characters the system encourages, Firefly/Serenity were based on a Travller campaign Joss Whedon ran in College.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One major consideration of the game that makes it very distinct from. D&D style assumptions: there are no "Levels" or "Experience" really involved (I think the current rules might allpw.for slow, eventual training?). The point of the game isn't to go from zero to hero and become more poeerful: into keep paying the bills to keep the lights on and the engines running to Travel the 'Verse...or whatever goals the group and GM want to make. That's actually one reason the original rules had the "death" outlet" to discourage people from shooting for hyperexperienced Superheros out the gates, there are tradeoffs for aging and starting with an older character with lots of Akill rather than a younger character with more limited Skills but more robust attributes.

For example, one player might roll up an ex-Marine with a handful of weapon and vehicle Skills, bit with great attributes (let's call this character "Jayne"), while another player might roll up an ex-spy turned religious leader with achy joints and attributes, but a lot of Skills, knowledge, and odd contacts (let's call this character "Shepard").

It's not really "balanced" as such...but neither us life. A diverse bunch of characters will need to.habe different specialties to cover each other, as a crew (family?).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Also, this is not necessarily representative of Monngoose Games modern treatment, but the full original game is totally free right now:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I've certainly heard about Traveller, but apart from the whole "you can die during character creation" thing I know next to nothing about it, and I doubt that's a part of the current game.
It's an optional rule in the most recent edition, I think.
What's the game like?
Traveller is a 2d6+mod vs TN system. It's normally a very quick and easy to run/play game. You can bolt on a lot of extra stuff to make it heavier rules. The more recent Mongoose editions do this. Some people like them, others not so much.

Traveller, regardless of edition, is generally a gritty space game. You're playing basically normal humans out in space with all the dangers that come with that.

There are generally few aliens, though they do exist. So this isn't like Star Wars or Star Trek.

The closest analog in recent years is Expanse or Firefly. The default setting is slightly more tech advanced than either franchise. Though it's not really a space western unless you want to push that onto the setting.

There are several modes you can play in: explorer, trader, military, etc.

Most version of Traveller dig deep into the simulation of being in space, logistics, supplies, etc. Tracking how much fuel and food and cargo capacity you have is a big part of the game for some people.

Traveller games tend to be very into the gear fetish side of things. Multiple big books of ships, weapons, vehicles, etc.
Why should I buy this Bundle?
Because it helps charity.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Traveller was the fuel of my childhood imagination, and I still love to play. in the 70s and 80s, the LBBs (little black books, first three of which are free, above) gave a life-path, non-level rpg that let you and your friends boogie around space in a space ship that was constantly in debt. It's wonderful. There is a robust universe-building system through random rolls, and various expansions/supplements as the game developed. Books 4-7, for example, allow richer development of Military/Navy/Scout/Merchant characters (lifepaths go by year instead of by four-year). Later editions changed the system, some closer and some further away from the original books, but honestly, the feel comes from the early books.

The worlds that are randomly generated do not share a technology -- the tech differential between worlds gives characters motivation to further trade (either by helping the (tech) poor, or turning a profit; or both) or explore (I've had a campagn where everyone was a low-tech individual suddenly exploring space, with no relevant skills).. Adventures write themselves, if you want it and can extrapolate a world from a doxen given fact about it (it's a low tech world supporting thousands, but no breathable atmosphere; how does that come to be?)

There's a bunch of adventures available, if you want them; all old-school but not dungeon crawls. If you want the feel of traveller, then I'd play the old books. Use the setting (that emerged and coalesced, with The Imperium, which itself becomes a constant as the mechanics change), or don't -- it won't matter. Your PCs are trying to survive as a merchant or an ex-scout, or whatever. Space combat greatly favours military ships; it's marvellous for teaching players to struggle and try to make it.

If you want a more modern system, there are other options for you (both official and unofficial). The mongoose system is the best of the official ones, and that's what's in the bundle. But I tink you can play Classic traveller without it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
For fun I rolled a Traveller Mongoose 2E character tonight. Thought I'd walk it through here so you can see how chargen looks. I love how it develops your stats and skills but also generates a backstory you can fill in. I will put the career term in italics so you can see what path the Traveller took. I will put events that occurred in bold. Each career the Traveller learns skills in the line of duty. Events are things of special note that can have both good and bad fortune for the Traveller.

This character went from 18 to 38 years old. Spent 4 years at university, and then the next 16 as a thief. The end result is how the character begins the game. (If doing this as a group exercise, you can link events so that the Travellers can buld in stories on how they know each other.)

Gretchen Ross grew up in a stifling urban environment. Parents not wealthy and struggling to make it. 18 years old.
(Background skills; Survival 0, Streetwise 0, Athletics 0)

Beginning stats:
Str 8 (0)
Dex 11 (1)
End 7 (0)
Int 9 (1)
Edu 6 (0)
Soc 5 (-1)

Ross showed she had smarts and initiative and got a scholarship to go to the university. However, her past didn't prepare her for this experience and she was unable to graduate. 22 years old.
(Uni skills; Advocate 0, Electronics computers 1 gained; +1 to Edu)
Event: Taking advantage of youth, Ross partied as much as she studied. Gained Carouse 1 skill

After failing out of university, Ross caught up with some folks from her youth. She decided to try her hand at thievery. 26 years old.
(Rogue skills: Deception 0, Recon 0, Gun Combat 0, Stealth 0; Advanced to rank 2 gained Stealth 1)
Event:
Crime lord takes Ross under his wing as a potential protégé. Gain Tactics Military 1 skill and Ally

Ross continues her life as a thief but trouble will soon find her, 30 years old.
Rogue Skills: Gambler 1; - 1 benefit roll
Event: Ross is arrested and charged with a crime. She gives up some of her loot to hire a lawyer to get her out of the charges. Gains a contact, but also losses a career benefit.

Ross remains working as a high end thief. Fortunes have changed. 34 years old.
Rogue skills: Melee unarmed 1, Streetwise 1
Event: Ross is involved in the planning of an impressive heist. Gain mechanic 1

Ross is in over her head. Things get heavy, hot, and Ross is looking for any way out. (Final career term) 38 years old.
Rogue skills: Recon 1, Streetwise 2
Event: Ross goes deep into the criminal underworld for months. gains melee blade 1

Muster out and final stats and benefits:
Str 8
Dex 12
End 8
Int 10
Edu 7
Soc 5

Benefits:
Armour, Weapon, +1 INT, +1 Dex, 50,000 credits

Final skill package:
Athletics 0
Advocate 0
Carouse 1
Deception 0
Electronics 0
Electronics 1 computers
Gambler 1
Gun combat 0
Gun combat 1 Energy
Mechanic 1
Melee 1 unarmed
Melee 1 Blade
Recon 1
Stealth 1
Streetwise 2
Survival 0
Tactics Military 1

Once the game starts you apply your skills and abilities in game play. For example, Ross decides to stealth past a security guard in the hangar of a spaceport. She rolls 2D6 +2 (Stealth skill adds 1 and Dex mod adds 1) Target DC is 8.

Remove ads