Sell me on Traveller

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
If you have a player whose really likes to create the character they've envisoned in their head, then Traveller might not be their game. Even the type of planet you grew up on is rolled randomly. You can try to push your character down a certain path in regards to education and career, but at any time one die roll can radically alter your character's trajectory. I haven't played yet, but made several characters just to get the hang of it and got some wild results.

1. I ended up with a psychic.
  2. I tried to push a character into engineering, and was somewhat successful, but he ended up with a 3 in the melee (knife) skill and a 4 in Steward. In this context, a steward attends to the needs of passengers on the ship. With a 4, my character was a space butler on par with Jarvis or Alfred.
  3. I ended up with a convict in his 70s by the time I rolled to get out of prison.
  4. A high ranking retired military officer with his own scout ship. I just kept rolling promotion after promotion.
As a Ref I usually prepare my players for chargen in a few ways. First, I tell them not to get caught up on a single career path. Just because you go into the Navy, but wash out and join the Scouts doesn't make you multi-class. What you really need to envision the career paths as skill and life story delivery systems. If you want to be a pilot, engineer, scientist, weapon expert, etc... there are many ways to get those skills. Look ahead and gather a list of the best careers to get those things. The second thing I tell folks is how to allocate their stats. Look at the survival and advancement of your ideal career path. Make sure your best scores align with what you need to succeed. This wont prevent a wash out, but will up your odds of staying where you want to be.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Pulled the trigger on the Bundle and decided to give Chargen a roll myself! I started rolling stats and placed them in order; I would say that I rolled quite well! (11, 11, 6, 6, 9, 7)

Background
Dafnea Shaw had a charmed childhood. Raised in an upper-middle class family (Soc 7) in a exurban enclave where her natural athletic talent led her to excel as a star Pyramid player (Str 11, Dex 11). Her talents so far surpassed her peers that she found she didn't ever have to push herself very hard (End 6). Her skill allowed her to get into the best secondary school (Edu 9) without being particularly academically inclined (Int 6).
Background Skills: Athletics (0), Carouse (0), Electronics (0), Flying (0)

University
At university Dafnea studied Dance in order to keep her limber for sports. She also took a few courses on sports medicine. Against all odds, she found much greater success academically at university, ultimately graduating with honors. She and her teammates become best friends forever.
Skills Gained: Art-Performer (2), Medic (1)
Stats Changed: Edu +2
Allies: 3 (former athletes)

Sports Term 1
After graduation Dafnea joins the professional leagues. She finds success and improves her skills, gaining a reputation for easily faking out opponents. During her rookie term she also played a role in bringing down a disgraced politician from her home-world, who ended up embroiled in a sexual harassment scandal. Dafnea proved to be a key witness in both the court of public opinion and the politician's trial. She is ultimately promoted to be a starter on her team.
Skills Gained: Athletics-Dexterity (1), Deception (1), Drive (0), Persuade (0), Steward (0)
Stats Changed: Dex +1
Profession: Entertainer (1)
Enemy: Disgraced politician: Jardan Kold

Sports Term 2
Dafnea found herself embracing her role in the public spotlight, becoming a diplomat for women in sports. She excels further in her career, becoming a bona fide star and leading her team to a championship. Along the way she becomes a godmother to two of her university friends' newborn son.
Skills Gained: Diplomat (0)
Profession: Entertainer (2)

Sports Term 3
Dafnea spends more and more time in the spotlight for role off the pitch than on it. A series of on-pitch protests leads to the sports journalist community turning against her and drumming her out of the league. Any loss to social standing she lost with the sports community was made up for in other corners, however, and she was able to save up a small nest egg
Skills Gained: Advocate (0)
Muster Benefits: Soc+1(counters Soc-1 from Mishap), Cr50000

Courier Term 1
After drumming out of Pyramid, Dafnea continues in her role as an activist, putting her old medic skills to good use and smuggling necessary first aid supplies to those in need. A misadventure with an alien species disillusions her and pushes her further away from the fringes of society.
Skills Gained: Pilot (0), Medic (2), Vacc Suit (0)
Stats Changed: Soc -1
Profession: Courier (1)

Courier Term 2
Dafnea finds life in the outer reaches of space growing more difficult... and more dangerous. During her tenure she comes across a group of attacked settlers, and is able to successfully care for them and treat them. She makes sure to keep in touch with them. Her age is starting to catch up with her, however, and she finds herself losing muscle mass. Unsure what to do with herself, she begins to embark on the next stage of her life
Skills Gained: Gun Combat (0)
Stats Changed: Str -1, Edu +1
Profession: Courier (2)
Muster Benefits: Edu+1, Ship Share, Weapon-Stunner (TL12)

Final Stats
Str 10 (+1)
Dex 12 (+2)
End 6 (0)
Int 6 (0)
Edu 12 (+2)
Soc 6 (0)

Final Skills
Art (Performer) 2
Medic 2
Athletics (Dexterity) 1
Deception 1
Advocate 0
Diplomat 0
Carouse 0
Electronics 0
Flying 0
Gun Combat 0
Pilot 0
Vacc Suit 0

This was seriously a fun experience! I'm looking forward to trying to get a group into this.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Pulled the trigger on the Bundle and decided to give Chargen a roll myself! I started rolling stats and placed them in order; I would say that I rolled quite well! (11, 11, 6, 6, 9, 7)

Background
Dafnea Shaw had a charmed childhood. Raised in an upper-middle class family (Soc 7) in a exurban enclave where her natural athletic talent led her to excel as a star Pyramid player (Str 11, Dex 11). Her talents so far surpassed her peers that she found she didn't ever have to push herself very hard (End 6). Her skill allowed her to get into the best secondary school (Edu 9) without being particularly academically inclined (Int 6).

University
At university Dafnea studied Dance in order to keep her limber for sports. She also took a few courses on sports medicine. Against all odds, she found much greater success academically at university, ultimately graduating with honors. She and her teammates become best friends forever.

Sports Term 1
After graduation Dafnea joins the professional leagues. She finds success and improves her skills, gaining a reputation for easily faking out opponents. During her rookie term she also played a role in bringing down a disgraced politician from her home-world, who ended up embroiled in a sexual harassment scandal. Dafnea proved to be a key witness in both the court of public opinion and the politician's trial. She is ultimately promoted to be a starter on her team.
Skills Gained: Athletics-Dexterity (1), Deception (1), Drive (0), Persuade (0), Steward (0)

Sports Term 2
Dafnea found herself embracing her role in the public spotlight, becoming a diplomat for women in sports. She excels further in her career, becoming a bona fide star and leading her team to a championship. Along the way she becomes a godmother to two of her university friends' newborn son.

Sports Term 3
Dafnea spends more and more time in the spotlight for role off the pitch than on it. A series of on-pitch protests leads to the sports journalist community turning against her and drumming her out of the league. Any loss to social standing she lost with the sports community was made up for in other corners, however, and she was able to save up a small nest egg

Courier Term 1
After drumming out of Pyramid, Dafnea continues in her role as an activist, putting her old medic skills to good use and smuggling necessary first aid supplies to those in need. A misadventure with an alien species disillusions her and pushes her further away from the fringes of society.

Courier Term 2
Dafnea finds life in the outer reaches of space growing more difficult... and more dangerous. During her tenure she comes across a group of attacked settlers, and is able to successfully care for them and treat them. She makes sure to keep in touch with them. Her age is starting to catch up with her, however, and she finds herself losing muscle mass. Unsure what to do with herself, she begins to embark on the next stage of her life

Final Stats
Str 10 (+1)
Dex 12 (+2)
End 6 (0)
Int 6 (0)
Edu 12 (+2)
Soc 6 (0)

Final Skills
Art (Performer) 2
Medic 2
Athletics (Dexterity) 1
Deception 1
Advocate 0
Diplomat 0
Carouse 0
Electronics 0
Flying 0
Gun Combat 0
Pilot 0
Vacc Suit 0

This was seriously a fun experience! I'm looking forward to trying to get a group into this.
Traveller chargen is definitely a highlight! Welcome to spacelanes Traveller.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Background

University

Sports Term 1

Sports Term 2

Sports Term 3

Courier Term 1

Courier Term 2

Final Stats
Str 10 (+1)
Dex 12 (+2)
End 6 (0)
Int 6 (0)
Edu 12 (+2)
Soc 6 (0)

Final Skills
Art (Performer) 2
Medic 2
Athletics (Dexterity) 1
Deception 1
Advocate 0
Diplomat 0
Carouse 0
Electronics 0
Flying 0
Gun Combat 0
Pilot 0
Vacc Suit 0

Fun part about making test characters? Now you got some NPCs.

aramis erak

Legend
I've certainly heard about Traveller, but apart from the whole "you can die during character creation" thing I know next to nothing about it, and I doubt that's a part of the current game. There's a pretty great Humble Bundle going right now with the 2022 update rules. What's the game like? Why should I buy this Bundle?

Most editions use 2d6 for attributes, prior history as a minigame to generate characters procedurally, and, except CT, death in Char Gen is the optional rule; CT-81/TTB/ST short term & out is an optional rule to replace death. Many CT-77 purists take it as a personal attack to point out that no later editions mandate it.

OTU Editions:
CT-77, CT-81, TTB, ST: classic Traveller - 3 little black books (77 & 81) or one large black book (TTB The Traveller Book) or 2 thin large black books and one coverless book (ST Starter Traveller) for cores; over 40 more little black nooks not in the core (Bks 0 & 4-8, Sups 1-13, Adv 0-13, DA 1-6, 3 Special Suplements - pushing it to 41, tho SS1 is a prototype for part of Bk 7), 6 boardgames... The differences between 77 and 81 core rules are few, and can make for some heated arguments amongst the grogs. Oh, and there were also some larger books Official setting only vaguely hinted at in the '77 core, obliquely referenced in '81, explicitly discussed in TTB, and Obliquely referenced in ST.
Damage directly reduces attributes temporaritly. The most important 77/81 differences are in weapon damages (77 is Nd+M, while 81 is Nd), the option for short term and out instead of dying (77 lacks this; 81 has it), and whether or not the power plant has to be matched to the higher of Jump Drive or Maneuver drive, or just Maneuver drive (77 is PP>= MD, 81 is PP >= higher of MD or PP). There are also minor differences in healing, world gen, scale, and certain skills specific details. Also note: CT Bk5 has two versions; '79 and '80. Char gen isn't different enought to be noteworthy, but the ship systems are rather different.

Note: The OTU was not intended to be when Marc wrote '77. But, by '79, fan demand was pressuring GDW, and GDW's OTU slowly forms via the adventuees and later some of the supplements.

MT: MegaTraveller - unified task system is 2d6 + AssetA + AssetB for N+ by difficulty (3/7/11/15/19); assets are attribute/5 (rd) or skill level, or computer model number. The OTU is deeply discussed across the line, even as the place is tearing itself apart during the second civil war.
Damage is a very low number of hit points, and weapon damages roughly equal CT numbers of damage dice. AFTER combat, or when KO'd, convert them to attribute damage, 1 hit doing 1d damage to atts.
Ships and Vehicles use a unified design system for everything but boats (not covered) and aircraft (in a supp); boats, ornithopters, and autogyros got added in magazine articles later.

T:TNE: A very bizarre computer virus (capable of impressing its unique circuitry into Imperial computers via a radio connection... I consider it psionic in nature, because my verisimilitude won't stretch that far any other way). Setting is basically the post-apocalypse corps of the OTU of CT/MT. Mechanics are a 1d20 <= DiffMod × (Att+SKill). You can't kill an NPC by the rules with a single shot of a .22 pistol unless they're bound and disabled so that you can justify the Coup de gras rule; you'll need to double-tap...
PC's damage to specific locations. NPCs damage to single track.
Compatible with Twilight 2000 2e and 2.2e, Dark Conspiracy 1e and 2e, and Cadilacs and dinosaurs. Minor differences in character gen foer T2K and DC (they give flat rate skills per term, while TTNE reduces skills per term with increasing age); major from C&D, which uses point build.
While the att scale is, like CT/MT/T4/T5/MgT, 1-15, the generation of them is 1 point lower in TTNE/T2k/DC/C&D.
Unified technical architecture (FFS Fire, Fusion, and Steel) used, similar to MT, but producing different ratings and undoing some of MT's changes.

Mark Miller's Traveller aka T4: set at the dawn of the OTU's 3rd Imperium, but for various reasons, it was not a great choice setting wise. Mechanics are Xd6 <= (Att+Skill). Damage to atts just like CT. The T4 FF&S is an expansion of MT's with different game ratings generated. Many more skill levels per unit time than prior.

T5, Traveller⁵, Traveller₅ or Traveller Fifth Edition: Marc's pet project for the last 15 years. Totally a toolkit mentality.
Task system is Xd6 <= Att + Skill + Knowledge + (Equip & SituationMods).

MgT, RTT, Mongoose Traveller: Some major differences in the methods in character gen; death in CGen is an option which is rewarded if used... It's got a different 2d6+DiffMod +AttMod+SKill + SituationalMods unified task mechanic. Damage is to attributes in the manner of CT-77, complete with modifiers, but also adding amount by which you hit to the total damage, and making armor reduce damage rather than reduce hit chance. Mongoose was trying to kill the OTU. Marc disapproved... A line of not horrible 3I setting books followed
MgT2 rejiggers the skills and the ship building. It also adds advantage/disadvantage.

OTU but not 2d6 for attributes:
GT GURPS Traveller: The Third Imperium as a GURPS 3E setting. Set in the same timeframe as the Rebellion, but the Rebellion and its Civil War not happening. Many things defined in it leaked into canon, but the line editor was making changes that he'd not been able to get Marc to approve of at GDW... like All Marines wear Battle Dress (Traveller's Term for Power Armor) as their field duty uniform... In many ways, this is the edition that most cramps the GM's ability to take or leave the OTU...

HT Traveller For Hero Yes, this is an adaptation for 4th/5th edition Hero System. Usable easily with 6th. Covers much of the timeline's interesting bits really quite well.

T20 Traveller's Handbook A d20 system adaptation of the OTU and the corebook tropes from CT/MT. Yes, my name is in every copy... If you like d20 system, you might like it, or not. Damage is dual lifeblood and stamina. Lifeblood damage is reduced by armor, stamina isn't. If Lifeblood is <0, you're dying. If Stamina is <0, you're unconscious. It is possible to have a grizzled SgMaj in Ballistic cloth armor be a round or two from dead (Curr LB <= -1×MaxLB) due to automatic loss while unstable... but still be functional because his Stamina's still >0. Meanwhile, 19yo gang banger in a tee-shirt ties from a good hit from a large caliber pistol, as it drops both to -1 or so...
Ship creation expands HG-81...

Not OTU, but Related mechnically
2300: Traveller: 2300 and 2300AD: This is a different setting, but it's officially linked to the Twilight 2000 setting - tho' not the same timeline. Mechanics are similar to CT, but it uses a 1-20 attribute scale, the same task mechanics as MegaTraveller, except swap a d10 for the 2d6. Combat and damage work differently, too. T2300 is the 1st ed; 2300AD is the 2nd ed.

2320AD is a T20 setting book for 2300 AD's setting using the T20 mechanics.

Mongoose;s Traveller 2300 AD is a MgT setting book, done by the guy who did 2320AD.

Babylon 5 - There was a short lived B5 Traveller setting book for MgT1

Judge Dredd Traveller - Mongoose also ported Judge Dredd to MgT1. I hat to say it, but it's not even as good as their d20 Judge Dredd.

T2K Twilight 2000: the amount of in-studio cross-fertilization makes for some interesting bedfellows. T2K 1e was percentiles, 2e was 1d10 <= Diffmod× skill, while 2.2 was 1d20 <= DiffMod ×(Att+Skill).. Third ed was a funky engine. 4th is Year Zero Engine, but with optional Traveller/T2k2 lifepath char gen.

Dark Conspiracy is the same game engine as T2K2.x. So also Cadilacs and Dinosaurs.

Space 1889 is a reduction in complexity from CT/MT, similar in concept, but much faster and without the random for the life path. Characters have one or two "careers" and suitable skills. Has 3 different skill roll systems. Great setting - it's licensed to PEG for Savage Worlds: Red Sands.

Cepheus Engine: This is the MgT1e SRD adjusted to be more like Classic Traveller. It has a dozen very well supported lines... and it can be used just fine with MgT materials.

Note: I am one of the admin staff of the official Traveller boards at TravellerRPG.com. I used to run the place as a fief. I could, go on for many more pages, but won't...

aramis erak

Legend
The character burner is pretty amazing, especially when you consider how early in RPG development the concept was developed.
Agreed... but it is really grounded in Frank's En Garde! rules for character creation and advancement, which was 2 years earlier... which is even more amazing, considering it's still in print, and has been continuously since '75. Currently, Margam-Evans.
Mongoose Traveller is amazingly well written and put together.
Disagree. Strongly.
It's not horrible, but MGT1e retained a number of clunky bits from CT-77 which had been made much smother in CT-81, because the primary author hadn't been given access to CT-81.¹ CT 81 made certain all damages were in whole dice, because that makes the allocation to attributes easier, and makes characters a hair less crunchy. The inclusion of up-or-out by the linking of promotion and retention to one die roll is novel within the Traveller lines. It's also explicitly wrong for the OTU, where many an old NPC is of relatively low rank. (Which is the major Britishism in the GDW editions.) Meanwhile, MgT puts in Up-or-out (an Americanism) while making the enlisted ranks more reminiscent of the UK's...
Note also: Ranks for the OTU are canonical in rules as well as setting, as they're part of the mercenary unit operations system in CT Bk 4 Mercenary.

Given the time crunch Gareth was under, and certain issues otherwise present, it's not horrible. But it's not amazing. And don't get me started on Mr. Steele... Or the rest of MGT Mercenary... Jealous of GW much?²

¹: Yes, Gareth and I discussed this. While I was providing some help on trade goods. I verified that Marc had sent them a CD-ROM of CT. And that Gareth hadn't gotten access to it at that point.
²: it's very interesting to note that just prior to GDW/Marc Miller cancelling almost all the 3PP licenses in 1984, Games Workshop was launching Warhammer Fantasy Battles and advertizing their upcoming Traveller minis rules... then, when the license terminated, suddenly, they launched WH 40K... an imperium, space marines in power armor, comm only at the speed of ships... given that GW had held a license to produce local print runs of CT, and to produce their own 3PP supplements for the OTU...and wrote at least one of the official numbered adventures... 40K appears to be their local Traveller universe... with some bits from other 3PPs'... Now, I don't know if they ever printed local UK runs of CT-81... which if they did, would make the basing of MgT off '77 more understandable...

Orius

Legend
I popped into this thread to see how quickly I'd get to a "die during character creation" comment and it was brought up in the first post! Not disappointed. ;)

I've been looking at the free CT material that's been offered over at DriveThru and played around a bit some random character generation. The very first character I rolled died during his second term, so that certainly feels authentic.

MGibster

Legend
I still haven't played and it's probably because I'm a bit flummoxed about how to pitch to to my players.

Players: "What will we be doing?"
Me: "I guess it depends on what kind of characters you roll."

Remove ads