• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Serenity DVD [SPOILERS]

zepherus

Explorer
Bow Response

For clarification, all I was trying to say was that to believe Inara was any less an asset to the team because she chose to use something other than a gun seems a little short-sighted.

People tend to use whatever they are the most trained in, and feel the most comfortable with. If she had not trained with a gun and tried to use one, then she would be useless...or worse.

As far as the efficiency of "bow versus gun" goes, I believe in my "neck of the woods", more white-tailed deer are harvested during bow season than during gun season. Anyone can fire a gun, and with some degree of luck, can hit something. With Inara potentially firing into a group that includes her friends, her chances of hitting a comrade would have been as good as hitting the reavers. So, she chose to use something she was trained in, and felt comfortable with, while still being able to carry out her objective...killing the enemy.

In the right hands, almost anything can be used as a lethal weapon, if you know how to use it as such.

Later!

Zeph

Vocenoctum

First Post
zepherus said:
As far as the efficiency of "bow versus gun" goes, I believe in my "neck of the woods", more white-tailed deer are harvested during bow season than during gun season.
For the record, most of the states have a seperate season for bows than for rifles, sometimes different seasons for black powder or shotgun. Basically the rifle is too efficient, so they put further restrictions on it.

Dark Jezter

First Post
zepherus said:
For clarification, all I was trying to say was that to believe Inara was any less an asset to the team because she chose to use something other than a gun seems a little short-sighted.

And I'm saying exactly that: Inara was less an asset to the team because she chose a bow instead of a gun. :)

People tend to use whatever they are the most trained in, and feel the most comfortable with. If she had not trained with a gun and tried to use one, then she would be useless...or worse.

As far as the efficiency of "bow versus gun" goes, I believe in my "neck of the woods", more white-tailed deer are harvested during bow season than during gun season. Anyone can fire a gun, and with some degree of luck, can hit something. With Inara potentially firing into a group that includes her friends, her chances of hitting a comrade would have been as good as hitting the reavers. So, she chose to use something she was trained in, and felt comfortable with, while still being able to carry out her objective...killing the enemy.

You seem to be contradicting yourself there: First you state that if Inara hadn't been trained to use a gun she'd be useless, but then you state that anybody can use a gun and hit something.

In the right hands, almost anything can be used as a lethal weapon, if you know how to use it as such.

True. But in a life or death firefight, I think I'll take a gun over a pair of nail clippers (or a bow). ;)

Bill Muench

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
Maybe he's a japanophile? I'll bet that as soon as the events in Serenity were over he went home and ate pocky while watching magical girl anime. ;)

Okay, that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Captain Tagon

First Post
Hijinks said:
Hmm. I never said "shoot a gun well," i.e. be "good" with a gun. Oh well. You took what you wanted from it. *shrug* I do believe guns are thug weapons compared to bows or knives. That's my personal opinion. Kindly respect it.

Guns are thug weapons but knives aren't?

Peterson

First Post
Roudi said:
"Find that kid who's taking a dirt nap with Baby Jesus, we need a hood ornament."

Best. Outake. EVAR.

I don't know, Roudi. Personally, my favorite was:

Inara: Told ya to hold on.

Mal (from the floor): I'm fine.

Oh. You said Outtakes, not Deleted Scenes. Okay then....

Same scene. After Mal picks up the "grenade" he threw, he stumbles into the nearby tree - looking all manner of clumsy. I thought that was just genius, even if it was on accident.

You know what - never mind. The whole movie (and special features) was just....gorram shiny.

Peterson

Last edited:

Falkus

Explorer
And I'm saying exactly that: Inara was less an asset to the team because she chose a bow instead of a gun.

Kindly explain why using a weapon you haven't been trained with would make you more of an asset than using one you have been trained with? Except in certain specific circumstances, it's the user, not the weapon, that determines efficiency in combat.

Remove ads