• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Serenity RPG: Thoughts?

Macbeth

First Post
Well, since I haven't seen any discussion of the Serenity RPG, I figured I'd start a thread for discussion. I found a copy at Barnes and Noble while picking up Magic of Incarnum, and so far I' suitabely impressed: great production values, simple but decent rules, and a writing style that really fits the setting.

So who else has the book? What do other people think of it? Anybody actually used it yet?

(And if there is already a Serenity RPG thread, just point me over to it and we can close this one.)

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
It is my understanding that it is also missing an index and a character sheet. While I love the idea of a Serenity rpg (and in general, I dislike just about all licensed rpgs), those two issues are a problem for me.

Character sheet is available on serenityrpg.com.

Personally, I automatically bought this (as long as it was halfway decent) -- just like I buy every Mongoose B5 book. I want more on the setting, and the TV networks aren't giving it to me.

I'm not sure how it would play out, as I haven't really played any system that uses dice instead of fixed stats. The book seems to cover enough info that a GM familiar with the setting could get a game going pretty quickly.

3vil 0tto

First Post
My RPG group and I just played our first session of it last night. Notably, it's the first non-D&D rpg I've ever played.

As for character creation, I liked how that went, as I was able to quickly come up with a concept and implement it without much trouble. It was very simple to create a character with the skills I wanted (Gunfighting/Negotiating skills), and extremely fun to play.

For those who don't know and are curious, Serenity uses d3-d12, and has no roll modifiers to speak of, it just involves rolling multiple dice (i.e. to hit, I roll my agility stat, which I spent 8 points in to have a d8, and my skill with whatever weapon, which I have d10 in shotgun, rifle, and pistol, and I can deal damage equal to how much I beat the targets defense roll (comprised of agility and armor, I believe) plus however much I roll for weapon damage.

The book itself is very nicely done, with everything well organized and easy to find. My only problem with the book is that it tries to condense the setting into a few pages and succeeds; there just isn't much there. Still, this can always be overcome by a creative GM.

Overall, I had a blast making my character and playing this game, and I haven't seen Serenity (yet) or even all of Firefly. I recommend it to fans of the series, but not to anyone who's just looking for another sci-fi rpg. It's a wonerful and well thought up setting, but too light to support the imagination of anyone who hasn't seen the show/movie.

I like it, though I suspect any fan of the series would. I've not had a chance to run it yet, but I'm going to do a one-shot at the DC/MD/VA Gameday at the end of October (three slots still open -- sign up now!). I was planning on posting a review after I've had some hands on.

It's just enough rules to let people who are inclined to have fun in that world do so. It's not for players that are going to get hung up on gunplay rules or the like.

Honestly, quibbling about the lack of a character sheet is just petty. For one thing, their are few enough stats and such to worry about that you can get buy with just writing stuff down. For another, I've not cut a sheet out of a book since the advent of the computer. Trivial to make one of your own if you can't find one on-line.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Currently, as much as I love Firefly, and watched the movie (which was "good"), I've not gotten this yet.

I'd like MORE information about the setting than I have now, and I'm not sure the book includes that. I'm not into it for another system, so I'd be buying the book entirely for the background data.

I might just let this lie.

--fje

HeapThaumaturgist said:
Currently, as much as I love Firefly, and watched the movie (which was "good"), I've not gotten this yet.

I'd like MORE information about the setting than I have now, and I'm not sure the book includes that. I'm not into it for another system, so I'd be buying the book entirely for the background data.

I might just let this lie.

--fje

Yah, very little on the setting. They hint at a forthcoming 'verse book. Although, you gotta love anything with an English->Chinese swearing dictionary as an appendix.

shaylon

First Post
I just got this in the mail yesterday. I've read the first bit and like the writing style. I'm not sure I will ever get to play this but I will support this line if I enjoy the book.

I am disappointed to hear that there isn't a character sheet available in the book. Guess I'll have to hit the site.

-Shay

swrushing

First Post
i have had it since DragonCon and my campaign is in chargen stage right now.

its a fairly simple system designed to play light and fast and quick and its definitely not for the "want everything to be its own predefined rule" crowd. You wont find detailed encumbrance rules or detailed star maps and planetary orbital cycles and that type of hard fact stuff and the main reasons is it an RPG designed to be more character driven and story driven and definitely Gm driven.

"Ships travel at the speed of plot"

Good amount of setting though very bare bones. Apparently more info may come later.

Quick and rather good detailed chargen, traits very much in keeping with the show's style and flavor.

all in all, a good buy IMO.

and, yeah, a character sheet for this game should take minutes to draw up in word, not too much longer for me than the download would have taken.

Remove ads