• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Servants of the Twilight King (full for now)

rbingham2000

Explorer
Looks like I'm bowing out. The Rat will have to try his luck in another game. But rest assured that I will be checking out the game as it progresses.

Blue_Genie

First Post
The Other Librarian said:
Sounds good. Don't forget when picking spells that you can choose from any spell list, at an equvalent level, provided the schools are allowed.

Do you mean I can chose from any arcane spell list, or literally ANY (Cleric, Druid, Blackclad, etc) spell list?

Blue

Kangaxx

First Post
A 9 Int won't work well with a sage, so I'll be going with the thug/battle sorc. I have a few questions to help flesh out his background:

Does the imperial bloodline have social significance? Is there a difference in appearance?

How covert is The Hand of Twilight? For example, might I want to have another job as a sort of cover identity?

How would recruitment work? I'm imagining it similar to a spy network, where they spot useful people and 'tap' them.

How freely is weaponry carried in the city? Would it be common to see people with a sword and shield walking around?

And the last thing is a more mechanical question; would I be able to start with a mithril buckler, possibly +1? This character is going to need all the AC he can get, and it'd be nice not to get a spell failure chance at the same time.

Edit: Remembered another question; if a spell is at different levels on different spell lists, can we take the lower one, or do we take the one off the sorc/wiz list? Hold person is the most obvious example.

Last edited:

Blue_Genie said:
Do you mean I can chose from any arcane spell list, or literally ANY (Cleric, Druid, Blackclad, etc) spell list?

Blue

Yup. Within the limits of schools and # of spells known. There are no divine spells, they are all considered arcane. At any rate cleric and druid base lists should be fine. If it's not from a base list, just run it by me.

rbingham2000 said:
Looks like I'm bowing out. The Rat will have to try his luck in another game. But rest assured that I will be checking out the game as it progresses.
Thanks for the interest . Do hang around, on the offchance we need someone to fill in. :)

Kangaxx said:
Does the imperial bloodline have social significance? Is there a difference in appearance?

How covert is The Hand of Twilight? For example, might I want to have another job as a sort of cover identity?

How would recruitment work? I'm imagining it similar to a spy network, where they spot useful people and 'tap' them.

How freely is weaponry carried in the city? Would it be common to see people with a sword and shield walking around?

And the last thing is a more mechanical question; would I be able to start with a mithril buckler, possibly +1? This character is going to need all the AC he can get, and it'd be nice not to get a spell failure chance at the same time.

The imperial bloodline is a different "strain" of humanity. There is no change in physical appearance, and has become somewhat diluted with time. People who carry the bloodline are either related to the ruling families (legitimate heirs), or bastard progeny.

The hand of twilight is very covert, not known to the general public at least. A cover job may be appropriate, depends on the character. Yes, thats pretty much how recruitment works.

It is not uncommon to see weaponry carried around, but not by all classes. The nobility carry swords around, but not usually armor. Professional soldiers will often carry a weapon in the city, and the City Watch is armed and armored. The general rabble, however will only carry weapos that can be concealed; a dagger for example. A shield strapped to the back wouldn't be unusual, but one carried ready might, discounting the city watch.

The +1 buckler should be fine.

If a spell is already on the wiz/sorc list, use that level. Good point! ;)

Blue_Genie

First Post
TOL: How do you want to handle knowledge of cantrips? According to standard D&D a Wiz1 knows all of them. Does your rule mean he knows all 0-level Bard, Cleric, and Druid spells as well, as long as they don't appear on the Sor/Wiz spell list at another level?

Blue

Blue_Genie

First Post
TOL: I wonder if you are familiar with the spells found in Dragon #323, namely Detect Attitude, Detect Guilt, Detect Heresy, and Detect Violence. They are designed for campaigns where Detect Evil spells do not exist. Thought that might be of interest to you.

Blue_Genie said:
TOL: How do you want to handle knowledge of cantrips? According to standard D&D a Wiz1 knows all of them. Does your rule mean he knows all 0-level Bard, Cleric, and Druid spells as well, as long as they don't appear on the Sor/Wiz spell list at another level?

Blue

Yeah, as long as the school matches.

Blue_Genie said:
TOL: I wonder if you are familiar with the spells found in Dragon #323, namely Detect Attitude, Detect Guilt, Detect Heresy, and Detect Violence. They are designed for campaigns where Detect Evil spells do not exist. Thought that might be of interest to you.

I don't have a copy of that... if you want one, send me the spell description. Also note that detect evil does work, now, however, it detects someones level of taint.

Remove ads