• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Set spear vs all charging foes???

Elvinis75

First Post
Hey if I set my longspear can I do double damage versus all people that charge me that round? Is there a place in the book that says so one way or another?

Elvinis75 said:
Hey if I set my longspear can I do double damage versus all people that charge me that round? Is there a place in the book that says so one way or another?

You have to use the Ready action to set a spear vs. a charge.

When you ready an action, you can only ready a standard action.

Attacking one individual is a standard action.

So you could set only against one person charging you.

However, you could take Attacks of Opportunity against as many of them as you want (up to your Dexterity bonus) if you take the Combat Reflexes feat.

So the first person who charged you would get attacked twice - once with the readied action to set vs. a charge for double damage, and once with an AoO for normal damage - and everyone else would get attacked once.

Last edited:

Elvinis75

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
You have to use the Ready action to set a spear vs. a charge.

When you ready an action, you can only ready a standard action.

Attacking one individual is a standard action.

So you could set only against one person charging you.

However, you could take Attacks of Opportunities against as many of them as you want (up to your Dexterity bonus) if you take the Combat Reflexes feat.

So the first person who charged you would get attacked twice - once with the readied action to set vs. a charge for double damage, and once with an AoO for normal damage - and everyone else would get attacked once.

Thanks for the help :)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
So the first person who charged you would get attacked twice - once with the readied action to set vs. a charge for double damage, and once with an AoO for normal damage
Assuming the person charging is not wielding a reach weapon (such as a mounted fighter with a lance). In which case you'd just get the one attack at double damage, because the fighter wouldn't provoke an AoO.

Lord Pendragon said:
Assuming the person charging is not wielding a reach weapon (such as a mounted fighter with a lance). In which case you'd just get the one attack at double damage, because the fighter wouldn't provoke an AoO.

And assuming they aren't tumbling (depending on how your DM rules on tumbling during a charge), have cover, etc. :)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
And assuming they aren't tumbling (depending on how your DM rules on tumbling during a charge), have cover, etc. :)
True. I only mentioned the lance because, IME, that's one of the more common times you're going to set your spear vs. a charge. :)

Mr. Dog

First Post
The Arms and Equipment guide has an item called steadfast boots. With them, you can't be tripped, and you're always considered to be set against a charge.

Pure gold.

Scion

First Post
while I hate to just ban something outright, those particular boots qualify for the, 'why? why?????' category imo ;) How many different feats/builds/spells/powers/whatever does something have to kill at one time before 6k gp just isnt a high enough price? lol

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...

Don't forget the Hold the Line feat for yet another AoO on the charger.

-Hyp.

Mr. Dog

First Post
I had a DM tell me that he was house-ruling the steadfast boots to be an item that required a standard action to activate, and that while they were active, you were considered to be flat-footed and denied your dex, even with uncanny dodge.

Oh, and you couldn't move, not even a 5' step. :uhoh:

*rolls eyes*

Sure, they rock and all, but how many DM's use trip or charge all the time?

I sure don't.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads