Setting up a computer as DVR and cable box

DonTadow

First Post
GlassJaw said:
Exactly, copyrights.

If the end-user is allowed to download all recorded content to their PC, the service provider will be held libel for copyrights. If they pay licensing fees, they want to pass that cost to the consumer.

Of course there is no model for this currently. If there is, you are essentially looking at a la carte programming, where the consumer chooses (and pays for) only the shows they want.
Tivo does this? \

I can burn and download most of my cables content with the exception of original shows on the hbo and showtime.

As explained to me, Tivo pays aflat fee to allow consumers to burn and download specific shows on basic cable and network. They pay an additional cost to the pay channels, but certain original programming can not be downloaded.

This model does exist.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
GlassJaw said:
You might want to take a look at Vista though. It has a lot of this stuff built-in. Microsoft had some pretty wild stuff running at CES. I asked one of the Microsoft reps about how cable companies will look at this and didn't really get a straight answer. Heh.

Note here is that you'll need the Home Premium or Ultimate edition of Vista for most of the Media Center functionality. Home Basic and the Business editions don't get that stuff (though the Business editions do pick up a lot of the Tablet edition stuff).

Remove ads