Sex at the Table

mythago

Hero
What it feels like, to me, is you saying that attempting to bring up sex at the table will result in violence at the table by someone. Your explanation not only further implies this, it suggests that the violence is in response to unwanted advances.

I'm going to skip the tedious 'imply vs. infer' and observe that you've got your back up so far that I don't think productive discourse on this topic is likely, but I'll point to 'bleed' and the discussions about consent/handling subjects like sex in the LARP community as a good reference.

Reynard

Legend
I think love, romance, and generational characters are interesting in an RPG, and they add to its longevity, so I include them, but I also am not a fan of keeping anything like romance front and center. We play it by ear but that generally means these are moments where, to avoid awkwardness, a PC dating an NPC isn't going to be played out, it will probably be off camera or done as a distant third person POV (a totally subjective thing but I just don't feel comfortable roleplaying that). What I am more interested in is things like marriage and offspring and the characters establishing roots in the setting. So stuff like marriages and the characters having children often come up.
Way back when, Aaron Allston's Strike Force introduced me to the idea of "blue booking" to deal with that stuff. Essentially, it is co-Jounraling with the GM for stuff that happens off stage (like love, office rivalries and other stuff common in the supers genre). I now use DIscord for that stuff. I create a private server for the campaign and every PC gets a private channel only they and I can see. It works great and allows you to manage those kinds of experience one stepped remove, which often makes it easier for everyone involved.

Reynard

Legend
I'm going to skip the tedious 'imply vs. infer' and observe that you've got your back up so far that I don't think productive discourse on this topic is likely, but I'll point to 'bleed' and the discussions about consent/handling subjects like sex in the LARP community as a good reference.
I mean, if you think it is impossible to handle well, that's what you think. I was just taken aback by the way you phrased it (which i explained in detail in post 59 above). Have a nice day.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Sex, romance, brothels etc are always a component in my campaigns, since I and my players see it as a natural part of our roleplaying and social pillar-heavy playstyle. Though usually we draw a curtain after kisses, cuddling and seduction, we don't feel the need to be graphical about the act.

Usually. This spring one of my long-time players surprised the table with very graphical metaphores of how his male character, at that moment skillfully disguised as the serving maid Jenny, orally pleasured a very evil bodyguard as a necessary distraction. It did succeed and the party managed to murder the target gang boss by poisoning his food, but the players deed and description made the whole table explode in tears of laughter.

Remove ads