Sex at the Table

Ulfgeir

Hero
In my group, characters have relationships and romances. How often depends a bit on which game we are playing. We usually fade to black though for the explicit acts.

Ondath

Hero
I run most of my (non-convention) games with the assumption that the game has a PG13 rating. Not the current, sexless Marvel-era PG13 but the 80s and 90s stuff that wasn't afraid of alluding to more risqué content, but didn't go for on-screen titillation. My players have spent some nights going on dates with close NPCs, or just everyone going to a temple of Hanali Celanil and benefetting from the Temple's "services" of consensual companionship. But I always fade to black, perhaps implying some things just a tiny bit right before, but nothing more.

If I were to have a player who disliked this kind of stuff at the table, I'd have no problem assuming that everything sexual happens offscreen (with no implications) for that specific campaign. I also had players romancing each other (with sex being more than heavily implied) several times: Once had two players who were also into each other, and they started dating around the time their characters did. The other had my partner's character date her best friend's character, and everyone at the table approached that topic responsibly.

I dislike the "sex should not be involved in any table whatsoever" puritanism most of the time, since I think it denies a fundamental facet of our existence. I specifically added gender and sexuality tables to my NPC generators to make sure that the NPC roster is a diverse cast, even if the players aren't always told about it. I also tend to research a bit about things that I don't know (such as how to roleplay a nonbinary/trans character well as a cis man), but I also don't bother about it that much, since my games are for close friends. But if I were to run a more public game, I think I'd at least ask my queer friends about how I intend to portray some characters to make sure I did not misrepresent them. If the game becomes completely sterile in terms of sex and gender, I think we miss out on all these aspects that can make the game's world and story so much richer.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Romance and love have been brought up in our games from time to time, and on occasion sex might be mentioned. But I don't care about sex nor need it in my games to make it feel mature or entertaining, and most of my group doesn't really care to add that to the games either. Though when it does come up, I trust my current group greatly as we have been playing for quite some time and as such I will indulge a bit when it comes to adding such elements to our campaigns (romance and love specifically, not typically sex). Currently we have a character trying to court a dragon goddess, and it's been quite a off the walls and hilarious endeavor that we all have not been taking too seriously.

However, I tend to squirm away from the topic of sex in games when I'm around new people I don't know, or when I don't feel comfortable or safe at a given moment due to very personal reasons and events from my past. So I'm more inclined to not bother with such topics personally even in safe spaces.

In no way do I care to shame or belittle those that enjoy adding such topics to their tables, as my issues with the topic are my own, and if I was to join a table and later find out they indulge in those topics in a way I'm uncomfortable with I will simply accept that this table or game isn't for me and politely leave. I'd only hope to not be shamed if return, which unfortunately is something I have also had to deal with in the past.

Also, all humans are unappealing fleshy meat sacks and none of that is anything to write home about honestly. 😉

Remove ads