Sex at the Table

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
How, if at all, do you incorporate sex in your RPG games? Do love, lust, romance, and other adult interactions have a place in your games? How do you feel about sex in RPGs as a player? As a GM? Is sex between PCs better or worse than sex between PCs and NPCs, or sex between NPCS? If sex does appear in your games, to what degree? When does the camera cut away? Do you use some sort of mechanics for sex?

Sex doesn't require love/romance, and vice versa.

PC in my games are allowed to pursue whatever emotional relationships they want. They don't usually pursue romantic ones, but it has happened a couple of time.

My Session Zero includes a note that I will quickly fade to black on sex. It isn't something my groups generally want to refer to anyway.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Its just part of back story. When listing PC actions during downtime, players who are so inclined note that they spent X on ladies of negotiable affection (or whatever period/setting term is appropriate).

We're all adults, so its not even a small part of the campaign.

Marriage crops up in feudal campaigns, but its not a big issue.
What about PC-PC romance in the field? Ever happen?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Sex doesn't require love/romance, and vice versa.

PC in my games are allowed to pursue whatever emotional relationships they want.
I have to ask: are they really; and if so, to what extent?

I ask this because in-character emotional relationships of the negative kind can - if people are playing their characters true - quickly lead to PvP, which I seem to recall you don't approve of. (and if my memory is wrong on this, please ignore this post and move along to the next :) )

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have to ask: are they really; and if so, to what extent?

I ask this because in-character emotional relationships of the negative kind can - if people are playing their characters true - quickly lead to PvP, which I seem to recall you don't approve of. (and if my memory is wrong on this, please ignore this post and move along to the next :) )

I do not outright forbid PvP play. However, in Session Zero, I ask folks to please make characters that in general, want to get along and work with others. So, we start with characters that have a bias against ever wanting to get into PvP play.

But, character dynamics change over time. So, from there, for either romantic or PvP play, I require player consent. At my table, I will not have a PC stabbed in the back, or macked on, by another PC without the players involved agreeing to the dynamic.

So, yes, if the players want to do it, they can. They just need to agree upon it beforehand.

TheSword

Legend
Spinning out of the BG3 thread...

How, if at all, do you incorporate sex in your RPG games? Do love, lust, romance, and other adult interactions have a place in your games? How do you feel about sex in RPGs as a player? As a GM? Is sex between PCs better or worse than sex between PCs and NPCs, or sex between NPCS? If sex does appear in your games, to what degree? When does the camera cut away? Do you use some sort of mechanics for sex?

Also, big note here: this is about consensual sex -- consensual both at the table between participants, and in the fiction of the world.
Were you surprised by the responses so far or was it broadly what you expected?

Reynard

Legend
Were you surprised by the responses so far or was it broadly what you expected?
Nothing too surprising, but I think the discussion benefits from step removed from explicit visual sex in the video game. "Fade to black" seems the primary method of dealing with "the act" but its seems lots of people still at least acknowledge sex as a thing that happens between people in the fiction of their games.

TheSword

Legend
Nothing too surprising, but I think the discussion benefits from step removed from explicit visual sex in the video game. "Fade to black" seems the primary method of dealing with "the act" but its seems lots of people still at least acknowledge sex as a thing that happens between people in the fiction of their games.
Eros and Thanatos

cranberry

Adventurer
In the seven years that my group played 5E (typically weekly), sex was involved twice, and it was just mentioned in general terms with the scene "fading to black" before it progressed beyond PG.

I run a very Adult Unrated game....so this comes up often. I list shows like Oz, Rome, Spartcus, Westworld, Black Sails or Banshee as my "type" of game.

In general, it comes up as often as it does in the "real" world. I role play NPCs full of emotions...and they include lust, romance and such.

A typical adventure where the characters are say, slaying a dragon, such things don't come up much. But urban type adventures....or say drow slaver adventures.......

I've used the Infamous Netbook of Sex from the Time before Time...plus Naughty dice, Erotic Arcana, The Book of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and the Book of Erotic Fantasy when "chruncy" stuff is needed.

Remove ads