Shackled City: A Gestalt Campaign (PG-13/R)

Ghostknight

First Post
jeremy_dnd said:
* * *​

The crowds did not surprise him, but Hershan felt jostled and almost claustrophobic as untold numbers of people passed him in the streets. He made his way down the inner bowl of the city, passing shops, homes, and temples. Eventually he found his way to the Tipped Tankard Tavern, which sounded more promising than th Drunken Morkoth which he had passed earlier in the day. He entered the building, large windows filtering in hazy light.

A large half-orc with a dirty apron and wet rag stood behind the bar, keeping a lazy eye on the occupants of the tavern. The barkeep caught Hershan's eye and with a slight smile gave him a small nod.

* * *​

Hershan pushed his way to the bar and ordered a mug of mulled ale and a bowl of stew. He toko a seat at the corner of the bar, watching the patrons, while he ate the hot food and drank his ale.

Definitely better than back at the cloister, he thought, still I need to find something to prove myself, wandering around this place may be educational but it does not seem to be leading anywhere.

Sighing he wondered what is next step should be, around him life continued, while his life seemed to be in a hiatus, on hold pending some stroke of fate.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
* * *​

Vargo said:
"And what do you know of me, sirrah? You seem to have the advantage of me..." Telenor said uncertainly to the mysterious figure.

"Less than you think," came the reply, and Telenor thought he detected a hint of humor. The sound of rocks rolling within a steel drum just might have been a chuckle from the cloaked figure.
.....​

Telenor had to ask around to find out where to find the smithy. Unsurprisingly, it was located on Magma Avenue, nearer the outer rim of Cauldron than the circles he kept, and the reason he had not immediately recognized the name. That high up the nobles tended their gardens and wealthy merchants spent their gold. He found the open-air building with little trouble, with a middle-aged dwarf scribbling in a book, his forge cold for now. Telenor assumed this must be Gurnezarn.

OOC: By the way, what font color are you using for Telenor? Thanks!

* * *​

OOC: AC increases to 15 with the +4 armor bonus

He took a brief moment to place the location of the call for help and heard some cursing and the sounds of a scuffle. After casting the spell and feeling the runes form a protective barrier for his skin, he dashed down the street and turned into a dark alley.

What Polaris saw enraged him. Three figures with strange markings on their faces kicked a fourth figure huddled on the ground. One of the attackers lifted the victim by the hood of his cloak and thrust him against a wall as another growled, "Stay away from the orphanage, you got that?"

OOC: Initiative order: 14 victim, 13 Polaris, 8 attackers

The young man winced, cringing away from his attackers, and his eyes made contact with Polaris. He pleaded without words for help.

* * *​

rangerjohn said:
"What know you of me and what draws me wraith?"

"I know more of what I know not of you," came the cryptic reply, "though I have an intuition for what may have drawn you nigh, but that is not my knowledge to tell."
.....​

After two temples, an inn, and one strange shop called "Weer's Elixers," James discovered the location of Gurnezarn's smithy. As the sun began to set behind the city wall, James circled the road that would swing him around to the east side of the city. The streets were emptying with the coming of night, and as he and Snow walked along the cobblestone streets, he noticed his companion had paused with pricked ears.

After a moment, he heard it, too. A cry for help, somewhere in an alley up ahead.

OOC: Can I ask you, too, what font color are you using for James? Thanks!

* * *​

Hershan's gaze fell upon a squat figure sitting at a corner table with a mug of its own. Hershan could not make out the patron's features, could not even tell its race, but he got the distinct impression that from within the dark cowl, eyes stared back at him. The figure rose, and approached.

"In your future, great deeds await," it whispered to Hershan without introduction, "You possess that which few comprehend, and the strength to harness it. Dangers lurk beneath our feet, and although you do not yet know them, the people of Cauldron will need you. Meet me tonight, at the Gurnezarn smithy."

The dark figure lifted one gloved hand in farewell. Without a whispered word or arcane gesture, it blurred and faded from sight.

* * *​

Last edited:

Vargo

First Post
jeremy_dnd said:
OOC: By the way, what font color are you using for Telenor? Thanks!

Well, here I am - best to make sure I'm not being set up before sticking my nose in it.

Instead of walking straight into the smithy, Telenor cased out the surrounding blocks, looking for those who did not belong, those who lingered too long, and those who might be looking for him.

OOC:I'm using lime as the color. FYI, you can find out the tags somebody used in a post by "Reply"ing to the post. (I'm not some ENWorld board genius - I just figured it out myself. :D)

Erekose13

Explorer
Polaris Nemarin, elven paladin

jeremy_dnd said:
He took a brief moment to place the location of the call for help and heard some cursing and the sounds of a scuffle. After casting the spell and feeling the runes form a protective barrier for his skin, he dashed down the street and turned into a dark alley.

What Polaris saw enraged him. Three figures with strange markings on their faces kicked a fourth figure huddled on the ground. One of the attackers lifted the victim by the hood of his cloak and thrust him against a wall as another growled, "Stay away from the orphanage, you got that?"

"Drop your weapons and surrender brigands!" Polaris yelled as he prayed once again to Pelor for a divine shield to protect him from the three enemies he faced. A bright clear white rune appeared to hover infront of him, it faded after a few moments but the afterglow remained in place. He then moved in with his sword drawn, attempting to place himself near the fallen man.

These foul brigands shall pay for daring to harm an innocent citizen. I only pray that Pelor's protections will grant me what I need to defeat these poor odds. Polaris thought to himself as he sized up his odds, he was obviously out numbered.

OOC: Cast shield, then move 30' into the alley trying as much as possible to get between the brigands and the fallen man.

rangerjohn

Explorer
James calls on nature to protect him and Snow, and then makes his way towards the cry. " Come Snow let us see what we may see"

OOC: mage armor with share spells class ability. AC 16 and 18 respectictvely.
OOC: Color is magenta.

Last edited:

Ghostknight

First Post
jeremy_dnd said:
* * *​

Hershan's gaze fell upon a squat figure sitting at a corner table with a mug of its own. Hershan could not make out the patron's features, could not even tell its race, but he got the distinct impression that from within the dark cowl, eyes stared back at him. The figure rose, and approached.

"In your future, great deeds await," it whispered to Hershan without introduction, "You possess that which few comprehend, and the strength to harness it. Dangers lurk beneath our feet, and although you do not yet know them, the people of Cauldron will need you. Meet me tonight, at the Gurnezarn smithy."

The dark figure lifted one gloved hand in farewell. Without a whispered word or arcane gesture, it blurred and faded from sight.

* * *​

Watching as the figure dissapeared before he could question him, Hershan jumped to his feet while neatly not spilling his drink. Turning around he scanned the tavern for any sign of the man. Not seeing any he turned to the barkeeper. Blurting out questions inhis haste to get answers.

Who, what was that? You ever seen him before? Do you know where this Gurnezarn smithy is?

I hope to find this person, he seems to know something about me that I need to know. Maybe this is direction fate is pushing me in!

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
* * *​

Telenor saw no one and nothing out of the ordinary. The streets carried people from one destination to another in the afternoon light, and the smith was the only one in his shop.

Nightfall was not for some hours yet.
.....​

As the light began to fade and night drew its cowl over the city, the mysterious stranger still had not arrived. Telenor paced in front of the smithy. The proprietor had long since left his shop, locked and secrured, and no others had arrived since. He began to wonder why he was wasting his time here when he heard the sound of someone calling for help, from some great distance. He could not pinpoint the exact location, but he could tell its general direction.

* * *​

Erekose13 said:
"Drop your weapons and surrender brigands!"

OOC: AC increases to 19 with the +4 shield bonus

One of the brigands jerked his head around, noticing Polaris. "Bugger off!" he yelled, letting the young man slump to the ground. With a brief nod to his comrades, the three drew their weapons, short swords that gleamed in the dying light. "This business has nothing to do with you!" he called out again as the three backed away, further down into the alley.

Polaris reached the fallen man, and realized he was little more than a boy, dressed in a cleric's vestments. The boy groaned, and his swollen eyelids flcikered. "Thank you," he said, attempting to rise, "I think I'm okay."

The young man shook his head. "And, please, allow me to return the favor." With head bowed, the youth seemed to be whispering... a prayer? Upon its completion, he rested his hand on Polaris' arm and he felt a latent strength well from within, and his confidence grew.

"For Justice," the youth said.

OOC: Polaris reached the fallen boy, and the three attackers are still backing away, swords aloft. The alley is at a 15 degree slope, downward from Polaris. The cleric cast guidance upon Polaris.

* * *​

OOC: AC increases to 16 for James and 18 for Snow with the +4 armor bonus

With Snow at his side, the two made their way to the alley from which the cry originated. The alley sloped upward , and three men with swords raised had their backs to James and Snow. Another man was slumped against a wall further up the alley, and a fifth, an elf, hunched over him.

"This business has nothing to do with you!" called out one of the men with swords. The three, no more than ten feet away and unaware of his presence, backed their way toward James.

OOC: Initiative order: 17 James and Snow, 14 cleric victim, 13 Polaris, 8 attackers

rangerjohn, remember that I would prefer that everyone keep their posts in the same style: third person, past tense. Thanks.

* * *​

Hershan's chair fell behind him as he jumped to his feet and searched the crowd.

Ghostknight said:
"Who, what was that? You ever seen him before? Do you know where this Gurnezarn smithy is?"

The half-orc at the bar was nonplussed.

"You mean the Shadow?" he asked, cleaning a glass with his rag. "I don't rightly know who, and definitely not what, but he comes in here from time to time. He doesn't pester, doesn't bother. But he doesn't drink, neither."

The barkeep paused, bringing a meaty hand to his square jaw. "Come to think of it, I can't be entirely sure if he is actually a he. As for the Gurnezarn smithy, it's on the east side of town, on the upper side. You shouldn't have no trouble finding it. The Shadow has never brought no harm to no one."

* * *​

rangerjohn

Explorer
jeremy_dnd said:
* * *​

* * *​

OOC: AC increases to 16 for James and 18 for Snow with the +4 armor bonus

With Snow at his side, the two made their way to the alley from which the cry originated. The alley sloped upward , and three men with swords raised had their backs to James and Snow. Another man was slumped against a wall further up the alley, and a fifth, an elf, hunched over him.

"This business has nothing to do with you!" called out one of the men with swords. The three, no more than ten feet away and unaware of his presence, backed their way toward James.

OOC: Initiative order: 17 James and Snow, 14 cleric victim, 13 Polaris, 8 attackers

rangerjohn, remember that I would prefer that everyone keep their posts in the same style: third person, past tense. Thanks.

* * *​
OOC: Past tense makes things kind of messy, I have to assume success.

For instance, James and Snow moved quickly, Snow tripped one of the assailants and then pounced on his chest, her teeth at his throat. Meanwhile James poked another in the back with his spear, and said "when you attack the young and weak, we make it our business."

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
jeremy_dnd said:
"For Justice," the youth said.

Polaris felt much more confident having reached the fallen boy. He thought to himself, Maybe it wont be as difficult as I had first thought, this hero business is looking easier and easier at each turn. Feeling braver, Polaris charged the villains as he called out, "For Justice!", his sword raised ready to bring it down on the nearest brigand.

Vargo

First Post
jeremy_dnd said:
The proprietor had long since left his shop, locked and secrured, and no others had arrived since. He began to wonder why he was wasting his time here when he heard the sound of someone calling for help, from some great distance. He could not pinpoint the exact location, but he could tell its general direction.

Telenor wondered if perhaps something had happened to his contact, and quickly cast Mage Armor on himself before running over to investigate the trouble.

Remove ads