• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shackled City: What's a good Class for it?

Warren Okuma

First Post
Scott_Holst said:
Hi-

Well, use an NPC claric, and if he is evil, make the players pay for their healing. It would be I think out of character for an evil claric to give stuff away for free.

And perhaps once the players are tired of paying for their healing and sharing their loot, the evil claric has to appease his god ya know, then maybe one of your players might step up to the plate to be a claric.

Scott
And if the evil cleric wants a share as well, kill him and take his stuff. It's only fair.

This is true in any campaign: the only thing better than a cleric in the party is two clerics in the party.

Clerics are customizable enough that you can specialize for different roles and still appear different, but not be, exactly.

Warren Okuma

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
This is true in any campaign: the only thing better than a cleric in the party is two clerics in the party.

Clerics are customizable enough that you can specialize for different roles and still appear different, but not be, exactly.
Absolutely. And remember you are polytheists, not monotheists.

Rechan

Adventurer
Scott_Holst said:
From your OP, I thought you were the DM, my bad :eek:
Odd. I said my character died.

The Cleric Class just doesn't Do it for me, I guess. :)

The two classes I'm looking at that seem sexy, at the moment, are Dragon Shaman or Dread Necromancer.

Dragon Shaman 1 / Marshal 2 / Warlock 1 / Bard X. Ultimate buffer guy. You just kinda hang out, and people around you become more awesome.

Dragon Shaman Auras: Fast Healing, Damage, and Charisma skill booster.
Marshal Auras: Motivate Dexterity (Minor), Damage Reduction (Major).
Warlock Invocation: Beguiling Influence.

Pimp out your Charisma, focus on Diplomancy (at level 5, it's quite reasonable to have a +30). If you can go through another level of Marshal, you can get a second aura for out of combat (Motivate Charisma). Remember, Marshal and Dragon Shaman auras both work on you as well as your allies.

-TRRW
fakeedit: Also, Cleric. I'd say Radiant Cheesewheel of Pelor, but as the rest of the group is Evil-ish, straight up Cleric with the Death and Repose (SRD) domains. You've chosen to follow this group of adventurers around because your deity informed you they were one of the largest causes of Death on this plane of existence. Help them carry out your deity's divine will.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
There are very few PC classes that won't be useful in Shackled City. Druid is probably one of the weaker choices due to the relatively paucity of wilderness adventuring but they have other benefits that make up for most of it.

The dragon shaman in my SC campaign has found the vigor, energy shield, and senses auras particularly useful.

Rechan

Adventurer
billd91 said:
There are very few PC classes that won't be useful in Shackled City. Druid is probably one of the weaker choices due to the relatively paucity of wilderness adventuring but they have other benefits that make up for most of it.
Heh. The other guy was playing a druid. That whole "No wilderness" frustrated him to no end. Also, the fact that he couldn't find unworked stone to use his spells on was annoying. :)

The dragon shaman in my SC campaign has found the vigor, energy shield, and senses auras particularly useful.
I'm looking at them and I think the Vigor, + to Damage and DR I'll nab first, and then the Energy and Senses one.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Rechan said:
I'm looking at them and I think the Vigor, + to Damage and DR I'll nab first, and then the Energy and Senses one.

Don't underestimate the senses one. The bonuses have been very helpful to for the lower leveled party. It's one of the choices whose impact will become less significant over time due to rising skill bonuses. My players decided to make maximum use of it now, at the lower end of the level spectrum.

Job

First Post
I've been DM'ing a Shackled City campaign for over 2 years now, and my players could not have done as well without filling the standard party classes: healer, tank, arcane caster, and trapfinder. With abundant and appropriate magic items (or a lenient DM), a team could probably work around the absence of a trapfinder or arcane caster, but a healer and a tank are essential IMO.

BTW, our team's druid has managed to pull them out of trouble on numerous occasions with his summoning capabilities, not to mention backup healing. I wouldn't overlook the druid's potential.

In our campaign, we have the following race/classes:
- Barbarian
- Halfling Paladin
- Dwarven Cleric
- Elven Rogue/Shadowdancer
- Half elf Sorceror
- Human Druid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job.

Phlebas

First Post
I'm playing SC at the moment - only one fatality so far (and thats because the warlock decided to take one last pot shot when the rest of us ran away retreated in good order)

just for reference our party is

Fighter
Cleric of st cuthbert
Warlock
Halfling Wizard conjurer (me!)
Urban Ranger

so far we've only noticed the lack of trap-finding a few times, and my summoner now has a bag of tricks to deal with that. having said that we're going through wands of cure lights like they're going out of fashion so another cleric would be our choice - possibly cleric / thief if we wanted the best of both worlds.

(btw - to agree with some of what has been said above, in another campaign we have a std cleric (Strength & Destruction), and a cloistered cleric (fire & magic). very very different feel to the characters)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads