• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shades and darkness

valeren

First Post
Good day! I have a situation with my gaming group regarding something our 5th level shade warlock did. The situation is that the warlock invoked darkness (creating a 20' radius area of shadowy illumination as stated by the spell). He then wishes to control the light as per his Shade abilities (dimming it a bit further by 50%). Any thoughts on how this should be treated?

Thanks

Mike

werk

First Post
valeren said:
The situation is that the warlock invoked darkness (creating a 20' radius area of shadowy illumination as stated by the spell). He then wishes to control the light as per his Shade abilities (dimming it a bit further by 50%). Any thoughts on how this should be treated?

Shades appear in what 3.5e book? (i need to know where to reference.) FR?

Thanks,

werk

First Post
A little slow...

The Shade entry in races of faerun gives some mechanics on how to handle their Control Light ability.

He can decrease light by 10% per level.
for creatures dependent on light to see, decrease their range of vision the same.
for each 25% decrease, everyone gains a +1 circ bonus to hide.

Since there are really only three light settings in 3.5, bright, shadowy, dark, I'd rule that shadowy is 50% dark, so he decreased the light in the AoE to 100%=dark, and outside the AoE up to 100' to 50%=shadowy.

Remove ads