• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow Monk without Shadow Step?

Snapdragyn

Explorer
Because there is no teleportation in my homebrew world, I need a substitute ability for the Way of Shadow monk at 6th level. For Eldritch Knight's Arcane Charge (also a teleport effect) I just did a bonus 30' straight-line movement instead - but that seems pointless when monks can dash as a bonus action anyway. Any suggestions?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sounds like a shadow of his former self...

Do you want it to b a combat or non-combat ability? Or something usable anytime?

One more obvious possibility is a "shadow self"- a shadow-like projection of himself that can perform certain actions.

Last edited:

Snapdragyn

Explorer
I suppose I'm open to a few ideas. I had at first thought 'hmm, dash + hide', but then remembered the next ability gave invis anyway & monks already get bonus dash.

Dragongrief

Explorer
Because there is no teleportation in my homebrew world, I need a substitute ability for the Way of Shadow monk at 6th level. For Eldritch Knight's Arcane Charge (also a teleport effect) I just did a bonus 30' straight-line movement instead - but that seems pointless when monks can dash as a bonus action anyway. Any suggestions?

Just re-flavor a bit and require line of effect.
*Arcane Charge becomes an ultra-hasted run - so fast that it can barely be seen, but there still has to be a path (even if that path goes through hostile creatures).
*For Shadow Step, the monk literally "becomes the shadow", moving along surfaces until they reach their destination.

Paraxis

Explorer
You are removing a modified at-will ability that resembles a 2nd level spell, misty step. Replace it with a modified at-will ability that resembles a 2nd level spell, I suggest Invisibility that only works in the shadows. It gives in combat and out of combat utility, ends up mostly granting advantage on an attack like the shadow step does, and allows for easy mobility sort of like shadow step does.

Plus being invisible in shadows sounds like something a shadow monk would be good at.

Snapdragyn

Explorer
You are removing a modified at-will ability that resembles a 2nd level spell, misty step. Replace it with a modified at-will ability that resembles a 2nd level spell, I suggest Invisibility that only works in the shadows. It gives in combat and out of combat utility, ends up mostly granting advantage on an attack like the shadow step does, and allows for easy mobility sort of like shadow step does.

Plus being invisible in shadows sounds like something a shadow monk would be good at.

This is what I did at first. Then I saw the 11th level Way of Shadow ability - which is this already.

I'm now debating between some sort of custom 'use bonus action to gain advantage on next attack in dim light or darkness' (to duplicate IMO the most beneficial part of the existing power - extra movement rarely being a concern for a monk), or a False Life ability that only works in dim light or darkness.

Remove ads