D&D 5E Shadow Sorcerer + Warcaster + Polearm Master + Eye of Darkness = Is It insane?

It was never broken leg, because you control the warhorse.
The Steed doesn't need darkvision, because you control it and you can see on Darkness.
You’re playing the Sorcerer, so not your call. The DM decided, quite reasonably, that a warhorse dashing blindly in the dark would likely injure themselves. The DM probably also should have called for a couple of Animal Handling rolls (which I’m also guessing your character would have trouble with).

You are now restrained below the horse. With an 18 Dex, 16 Con and 16 Cha, I’m going to guess your Str is 8 and you aren’t trained in Ath. At a -1, you aren’t getting out from under that horse anytime soon (DC 13). Even if you hadn’t already blown 5 of your Sorcery points, Magical Guidance is unlikely to be much help.

Your continued existence depends solely on whether you have enough Shield spells to survive until your party successfully defeats the encounter.

Hohige

Explorer
You’re playing the Sorcerer, so not your call. The DM decided, quite reasonably, that a warhorse dashing blindly in the dark would likely injure themselves. The DM probably also should have called for a couple of Animal Handling rolls (which I’m also guessing your character would have trouble with).

You are now restrained below the horse. With an 18 Dex, 16 Con and 16 Cha, I’m going to guess your Str is 8 and you aren’t trained in Ath. At a -1, you aren’t getting out from under that horse anytime soon (DC 13). Even if you hadn’t already blown 5 of your Sorcery points, Magical Guidance is unlikely to be much help.

Your continued existence depends solely on whether you have enough Shield spells to survive until your party successfully defeats the encounter.

The rules is clear, you control a controlled mounts, you control, if you see through darkness, It will follow your command.
The Warhorse isn't dashing blindly in the dark, because it's controled by the sorcerer that can see though the darkness. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The rules is clear, you control a controlled mounts, you control, if you see through darkness, It will follow your command.
The Warhorse isn't dashing blindly in the dark, because it's controled by the sorcerer that can see though the darkness. :rolleyes:

Check out pg. 178 of the PHB.

ECMO3

Hero
You are wrong. From the PHB page 178: "You also make a Wisdom (Animal Handling) check to control your mount when you attempt a risky maneuver."

So it is a matter of whether or not the DM thinks taking the dash action and galloping blinded at full speed is a "risky maneuver". I would opine that most DMs would consider this risky.

While I am at it, the rules are also clear that you don't get advantage using scorching ray on a prone enemy that can't see you, but you have conveniently ignored that many times on this thread.

Hohige

Explorer
You are wrong. From the PHB page 178: "You also make a Wisdom (Animal Handling) check to control your mount when you attempt a risky maneuver."
"risky maneuver."

Jumping a river?

I think I'm not clear in saying that there is no risky maneuver as the Shadow Sorcerer has full vision and control it.
Why would the Shadow Sorcerer put Steeds in any risky maneuver since he can fully see everything around him?

"So it is a matter of whether or not the DM thinks taking the dash action and galloping blinded at full speed is a "risky maneuver". I would opine that most DMs would consider this risky."

I strongly disagree.

If It is an independent mount... I couldn't agree more. It's a Risky Maneuver.

But, It's a controlled mount that is controlled by a creature with >full vision<, It isn't risky maneuver, not even close.

"While I am at it, the rules are also clear that you don't get advantage using scorching ray on a prone enemy that can't see you, but you have conveniently ignored that many times on this thread."

I didn't answer because the answer is objective, the Shadow Sorcerer can attack effectively in many ways, it doesn't depend exclusively on a single combo. Remember, this is a Standard Sorcerer, not just a melee character with a sword.

The prone creature will be devoured by the Hound, the entire melee party will have advantage and you can simply cast a Saving throw spell that the enemy will have a disadvantage (the hound) or simply send a fireball or any spell other than a direct attack. Prone means you are in serious trouble.

That's why I say this is the best build tier 1 and tier 2, high ac, immunity against "you must see" effects, high mobility and best in everything you do.
Melee, excellent or the best.
Metamagic and disadvantage to the enemy. OK?
Reliable and strong ranged damage? OK
A lot of damage and burst? OK

No matter the occasion, this build has many possible ways to resolve it, it's not just a melee with a sword in hand, its a full caster with metamagic and the hound.

With high cha and magical guidance, it's easily the party face :p:unsure:

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
But, It's a controlled mount that is controlled by a creature with >full vision<, It isn't risky maneuver, not even close.
I think you underestimate the degree of control required to control a mount running in total darkness. You are directing the mount's direction and speed, but the mount itself decides where to place each foot as it runs. You do not control each footstep the mount takes. If you see the ground ahead is uneven terrain, how do you impart this to the mount?

Imagine being blindfolded with an unblindfolded friend beside you, guiding you as you run. How long do you think it would take before you fell?

Hohige

Explorer
I think you underestimate the degree of control required to control a mount running in total darkness. You are directing the mount's direction and speed, but the mount itself decides where to place each foot as it runs. You do not control each footstep the mount takes. If you see the ground ahead is uneven terrain, how do you impart this to the mount?

Imagine being blindfolded with an unblindfolded friend beside you, guiding you as you run. How long do you think it would take before you fell?

Well, in every way Warhorse-trained mounts are prepared for this, they follow the rider's commands pretty well. I suggest Shadow Sorcerers train it using darkness in their downtime.
The trained mounts follow the rider's commands pretty well. However, It certainly isn't a risky maneuver.

Right, by RAW totally how the rules work. Also totally not how actual horses work.

My guess is that between all the DMs who would oppose it on principle, and all the ones who would strike upon a real world limitation of horses to punish this Sorcerer from using the same set of powergaming tactics over and over again, this horse would eventually end up with broken legs or whatever at a majority of tables where the lack of horse darkvision occurred to someone.
Bear in mind that this is the same DM who ruled that wielding a polearm allows you to cast spells at people coming near you.

Its a little weird, but there is no movement penalty for being blinded in the rules.

"So it is a matter of whether or not the DM thinks taking the dash action and galloping blinded at full speed is a "risky maneuver". I would opine that most DMs would consider this risky."

I strongly disagree.

If It is an independent mount... I couldn't agree more. It's a Risky Maneuver.

I think that you're missing what they're getting at.
Think of it like this: go with a friend to a typical D&D environment: a forest, cluttered house or off a hiking track.
Put a blindfold on so you cannot see anything: not even the ground or where you are putting your feet.
Run at full tilt while your friend guides you by shouting "Left!" or "Right!" at you.

You'll be fine! You're being controlled by a creature with >full vision<, It isn't risky maneuver, not even close.

Remove ads