Shapechanger threat - were-x's and X-weres etc.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Right, my campaign took a turn and I need to prioritise this critter - another of Graz'zt's fiendish creations...especially for yuan ti....Might need to make an "alpha" but I hate that term...

all input much appreciated and will be prioritised post-haste. Note that Wolfweres have entered canon too..(in my campaign, which has COld Iron as a Thing - they'll all be silvier immune and hittable by cold iron)

Attachments

• mongoosewere.PNG
    mongoosewere.PNG
    460.1 KB · Views: 89

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
In essence - many ages ago in a warm clime was a large savage Yuan Ti empire that subjucated and dominated its region - tehre were some nearby halfling and gnome settlements. Enter graz'zt and grants a Dark Wish to the mongeese....BAM...mongoosewere..and them, the small humanoids and yuan ti are drawn into a new Ravenloft Domain of cuteness...and danger....
Forget mongooses, what you need are some werehoney badgers.
hehehe - are they snake-focussed as well....? Must read...

Cleon

Legend
Shouldn't its type be monstrosity rather than humanoid, as it's a beast that turns into a man like a Wolfwere, not vice-versa like a Werewolf.

Speaking of which, what canonical 5E Wolfwere are you referring to? I found one from a Necromancer Games adventure, Afabu the Wolfwere but that may not be canon as it's a 3rd-party source.

Not 100% about the Small size, it seems weird that they're smaller than Wererats since a rat is a lot smaller than a mongoose! Then again, the official Wererat stats are for human wererats, so a gnome wererat could be smaller.

Presumably that's what you're going for, but if Mongooseweres only transform into gnomes or halflings it shouldn't have "human" in the subtypes! For that matter, it should only have "(shapechanger) if it's a monstrosity.

Oh, and there's a stray "Rat Form" in the Actions.

Cleon

Legend
Speaking of which, what canonical 5E Wolfwere are you referring to? I found one from a Necromancer Games adventure, Afabu the Wolfwere but that may not be canon as it's a 3rd-party source.

Question solved! The official Wolfwere is in Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy (2021).

Unfortunately I don't have that book at the moment so have no idea how they converted the beastie to 5E.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Okay - I have Minsc and Boos. For educational purposes here is the page:

the page before it has an alpha - at least they have "iron" rather than "silver"...but this jars with jackalwere now in canon which is silver...sigh

Attachments

• wolfwere.pdf
    730.6 KB · Views: 141

Cleon

Legend
Okay - I have Minsc and Boos. For educational purposes here is the page:

the page before it has an alpha - at least they have "iron" rather than "silver"...but this jars with jackalwere now in canon which is silver...sigh

Okay, so going by that the type should be Size humanoid (beast, shapechanger) for the Mongoosewere.

For the size, I'm fine listing them as Small as in the rough draft.

A 5E Lycanthrope/Therianthrope's listed size is the humanoid form's size, so the Mongoosewere could become Medium when in its monstrous giant mustelid form(s) like a Werebear can shapechange from Medium humanoid (human, shapechanger) into a Large hybrid or bear form.

Or its "giant mongoose" form could be Medium and its hybrid form be Small?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Ok - just noticed wolfwere and jackalwere are both listed as humanoids...but monstrosity is more apt..might be worth flinging it on Jeremy Crawford's twitter feed :LOL:

My idea is they are small-ish - and that they commonly adopt humanoid forms of cute children, gnomes or hobbits - given the base form is the animal, leaning to leaving as "small to medium" in box and giving them d8. Am aiming at a creature that (in a group) can be kill yuan ti if in a pack.

Musing on special ability - speech in human form can act as suggestion (per short rest? recharge on a 6?)

Cleon

Legend
Ok - just noticed wolfwere and jackalwere are both listed as humanoids...but monstrosity is more apt..might be worth flinging it on Jeremy Crawford's twitter feed :LOL:

My idea is they are small-ish - and that they commonly adopt humanoid forms of cute children, gnomes or hobbits - given the base form is the animal, leaning to leaving as "small to medium" in box and giving them d8. Am aiming at a creature that (in a group) can be kill yuan ti if in a pack.

Musing on special ability - speech in human form can act as suggestion (per short rest? recharge on a 6?)

Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected.

If they're typed as Small humanoid (or Small monstrosity) they need to have d6 hit dice. You can just adjust the number of HD and CON to achieve a desired Hit Point value.

For a Special Ability, how about a Mesmerizing Dance that mesmerises or confuses a target, like the Weasel War Dance?

Remove ads