Shapechanger threat - were-x's and X-weres etc.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Ok resumed working on this one too and modelling after boalisk. I also just noticed that Minsc and Boos seems to have been removed from dndbeyond so the wolfwere seems to have been de-canonised again.....

I think slowed is actually the most playable effect from the war dance - though a bit too much like the wolfwere's song. Is that a problem?

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I think slowed is actually the most playable effect from the war dance - though a bit too much like the wolfwere's song. Is that a problem?

Hmm, the target moving slowly doesn't sound much like the transfixing mesmerism the folklore version of a mongoose's war dance inflicts on its victim though. The target can still take actions after all.

Maybe have it more like hold person, with the target getting a save each round and have the effect automatically broken if another creatures takes an action against them (including a fellow adventures slapping them out of their stupor)?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
ok so updated mongoosewere to this:

Attachments

• mongoosewere2.jpg
    mongoosewere2.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 51

Cleon

Legend
ok so updated mongoosewere to this:

Okay, let's work through this in order.

Presumably it should have "mongoose" instead of rat in the "can't speak in rat form" of Languages.

Foes of Serpentkind is worded a trifle confusingly. Maybe:

Foes of Serpentkind. The mongoosewere gains advantage on melee attacks against serpentkind and scores a Critical Hit if it scores a 19 or 20. The mongoosewere has advantage on saving throws against attacks from serpentkind. Serpentkind includes snakes, nagas, yuan-ti and similar creatures.​

Hmm, aren't mongooses adept at dodging serpent's attacks rather than hitting them? Shouldn't it be something like:

Foes of Serpentkind. The mongoosewere scores a Critical Hit if it on a 19 or 20 when making a melee attack against a serpentkind creature and serpentkind creatures have disadvantage on melee attacks against the mongoosewere. The mongoosewere have advantage on saving throws against attacks from serpentkind. Serpentkind includes snakes, nagas, yuan-ti and similar creatures.​

Mongooses aren't actually resistant to snake venom though, that's a myth, so I'd be tempted to cut the "advantage on saving throws against attacks" sentence. That said, there's nothing wrong with a fantastic mongoose creature having abilities folklore credit it with, I'd suggest maybe make it advantage on saves versus serpent venom though, not every serpent attack.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Mongooses aren't actually resistant to snake venom though, that's a myth, so I'd be tempted to cut the "advantage on saving throws against attacks" sentence. That said, there's nothing wrong with a fantastic mongoose creature having abilities folklore credit it with, I'd suggest maybe make it advantage on saves versus serpent venom though, not every serpent attack.
Ah I think I'd prefer to leave out altogether. making it resistant to venom when it is a myth anyway seems......icky.

Remove ads