• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shards of Memory--Act I: The Boundless Void

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Yotsu Yuriko, Female Larakese Martial Artist

[sblock=Galley, easily observable]*Yuriko calmly finished her meal as the others spoke.*

[sblock=Larakese]
Diedrik said:
"Heh, a coldbox. This ship has some nice features," he says, pondering on what kind of things he could put in it for fun, "Yotsu-san, when you're ready we can make our security assessment of the ship."
"Hai, Deidrik-san," Yuriko replied, "I can be ready in just a few moments."[/sblock]
*Yuriko rose from her seat . . . where actually she didn't look very comfortable, and gathered her utensils and bowls. Moving to the sink, she cleaned and disposed of what she should, careful to ration water. Once she had cleaned everything such that, other than the missing food, there was no trace that she been there to break her fast.*[/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Galley, Easily Observable, Eldish]"Well, I guess I'd better get going to the room with the helm to see if I can be of any help. Bye everyone," Vanessa says cheerfully, wiping the the sides of her lips near her cheeks with a napkin before rising and taking her dishes to the sink, "I must say, washing my own dishes is kind of fun. The servants would always do it for me back home."[/SBLOCK]

Festy_Dog

First Post
[sblock=Galley, easily observable][sblock=Larakese]
Keia said:
"Hai, Deidrik-san," Yuriko replied, "I can be ready in just a few moments."

"Don't feel hurried on my account Yotsu-san," Diedrik said, but didn't push her to stay seated.[/sblock]

Diedrik cleaned his plate shortly after Yuriko.

[sblock=Eldish]
Rystil Arden said:
"Well, I guess I'd better get going to the room with the helm to see if I can be of any help. Bye everyone," Vanessa says cheerfully, wiping the the sides of her lips near her cheeks with a napkin before rising and taking her dishes to the sink, "I must say, washing my own dishes is kind of fun. The servants would always do it for me back home."

"Yeah," Diedrik agreed nostalgicly, before getting to the point, "Vanessa, could I have a minute of your time before you leave?"[/sblock]

He turned to say something to Yuriko as he dried his plate and put it aside.

[sblock=Larakese]"Sorry Yotsu-san, I may be a moment. There's something I need to discuss with Vanessa."[/sblock][/sblock]

Festy_Dog

First Post
[sblock=Galley, easily observable][sblock=Eldish]
Rystil Arden said:
"Uhh...sure. What's on your mind, Diedrik?"
[/sblock]

*Diedrik looked down for a moment, tugging at his goatee as he gathered the right words.*

[sblock=Rowaini]"Vanessa, something has been troubling me since you and Kirkesh came aboard. It was hard not to hear the angry voices behind you and note the hurry you two were in. Are you running from something?"[/sblock][/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Galley, Easily Observable, Rowaini]"Running?" Vanessa giggles nervously.

"Why would I need to be running? I'm a highborn lady of good standing...You know, you really seem to know a lot about Larakese culture, Diedrik," Vanessa continues, changing the subject, "That's unusual for a Rowaini, you know? I hear the Larakese are quite insular, and they usually don't accept outsiders in their home too readily, even for trade...You must be one of the few Rowaini who got a chance to see the mysteries of Lara Kai. What was it like? Did you ever see the Samurai, or the Ninja? Did you get to meet Roese Galienne, or was she before your time?"[/SBLOCK]

Keia

I aim to misbehave

[sblock=Galley, Easily Observable, Larakese] "Interesting change of subject, yes, Deidrik-san?" Yuriko commented in an understanding tone.

[sblock=Rystil Only]*Yuriko worked on cleaning her plates, then took a steep back and waited for Deidrik to finish his questions. When it seemed that the Rowaini woman changed gears, Yuriko almost giggled at the poor shift ans wondered what was behind the move*[/sblock][/sblock]

Festy_Dog

First Post
[sblock=Galley, easily observed][sblock=Rowaini]
Rystil Arden said:
"Running?" Vanessa giggles nervously.

"Why would I need to be running? I'm a highborn lady of good standing...You know, you really seem to know a lot about Larakese culture, Diedrik," Vanessa continues, changing the subject, "That's unusual for a Rowaini, you know? I hear the Larakese are quite insular, and they usually don't accept outsiders in their home too readily, even for trade...You must be one of the few Rowaini who got a chance to see the mysteries of Lara Kai. What was it like? Did you ever see the Samurai, or the Ninja? Did you get to meet Roese Galienne, or was she before your time?"
[/sblock]

*Diedrik frowned, clearly disappointed by Vanessa's rush to change the topic. He humoured her nonetheless. She was nobility after all.*

[sblock=Rowaini]"I know the name, but yes, she was before my time. She made it possible for others who were interested in the culture to be accepted if they were truly interested in learning and understanding the complexities of Lara Kai. I saw many Samurai, but I'm afraid that Ninja are the stuff of legends, Lady Vanessa. Their claim to existence seems to be the fact that they don't, if you follow my drift," he explained, "But regardless, I'd like to go back there some day. There are still things I want to know. I digress though."

*Diedrik got back on topic.*

"Lady Vanessa, this is a serious matter. Yuriko and I have responsibility for the ship's security, and if you are on the run we need to know who's chasing you at the very least, if not why. While you are on this ship your's and the ship's security are intertwined, so helping you helps the entire ship. If your pursuers have the will and means to chase us through wildspace then we need to know. As a Rowaini and as the ship's security I am doubly responsible for your safety. Lady Vanessa, will you please help me help you?"[/sblock]

[sblock=Larakese]
Keia said:
"Interesting change of subject, yes, Deidrik-san?" Yuriko commented in an understanding tone.

"Hehe, it would seem so," Diedrik replied.[/sblock]

*Diedrik looked a little embarrassed after replying to Yuriko's comment.*[/sblock]

[sblock=Rystil]*The change of subject was a blatant defensive move, but unless Diedrik wanted Vanessa to feel threatened by the subject he had to roll with the punches and ease back onto it. A spoon full of sugar so to speak.*

Guess I had best start playing the part of a servant a little better, throw in titles and whatnot. Have to cater to her sense of being served if I want this to work. Perhaps if I take the angle of this being for her benefit.

*Diedrik didn't dare mention a direct reference to Kirkesh. Putting thought of him in her mind may have her retreat to the safety of his presence, especially if he chose the wrong words and applied too much pressure. He'd never get any answers with Kirkesh near. Diedrik knew that for certain, because he felt he shared many similarities with the roguish looking fellow. The traveller could likely parry any inquiries towards himself and Vanessa without much effort. It was Vanessa he had to prey upon to satiate his information hunger. She looked unnaccustomed to travel, not unlike what Diedrik himself used to be long ago, so it was a matter of playing against weaknesses he once possessed.*

Heh, a fox protecting a rabbit (if that, I can't be certain after all). Only once the fox is away can the ferret play. :]

*When Yuriko spoke it took him off guard. He hadn't expected her to know Rowaini and thusly be able to follow the conversation. He had assumed speaking in Rowaini would allow a sense of privacy and allow Vanessa that much more comfort in knowing this was just a conversation between Rowaini. At least her comment was in Larakese, but it still rocked Diedrik a little. He hoped now that Yuriko didn't watch Vanessa too carefully. Scrutiny of that nature may apply the pressure on Vanessa that Diedrik wanted least of all.*[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Galley, Rowaini, Easily Observable]"Oh dear, yes, you're right...I'm such a bubblehead. Why, she would have been old enough to be your mother, wouldn't she?" Vanessa giggles, smiling a small smile, "Well, I guess all I'm saying is that sometimes people like you and me have things that they would rather not share. You understand, don't you Diedrik?"[/SBLOCK]

Keia

I aim to misbehave

[sblock=Galley, Easily Observable]*Yuriko maintained her silence, keeping her eyes near the feet of the others. She passed the time moving ever so slightly, exercising the muscles in her calves.*

[sblock=Rystil Only]*Yuriko maintained a watch on the female Rowaini, looking for information . . . details that may be important. The woman seemed very well practiced and had an air about her that seemed at odds to Yuriko's monastic training. Her words differed from her appearance . . . at least to Yuriko*[/sblock][/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads