• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shark World Inc

Carnifex

First Post
Something else you may want to consider is that you can deviate from the norm with the standard races quite significantly in this kind of environment. So sahuagin are one of the dominant races? Well, you don't have to have them all as evil. Sure, many might tend to be savage or unpleasant, but with so many you could easily have neutral or good-aligned groups as well.

Also, an idea I've considered for my own campaing and which could easily be applied to this one is paladins of aquatic races. To be honest, in general the idea of underwater mounts doesn't sit too well with me, so paladins of locathah, sahuagin and se elven communities have the ability to wildshape into a dolphin or other similar sea creature instead of gaining a bonded mount.

Gavin

First Post
Interesting thread. Made me think of a few things.

1) I saw a show (or possibly imagined the entire thing) in which somebody mentioned a species known as the Vampire Squid. That brought some interesting imagery to mind.

2) In a similar vein to the tentacled water walking bug: Water driders. Or at least centaur-like creatures with humanoind upper halves and water walking bug lower halves

3) A permanent whirlpool that reaches all the way to the bottom of the sea. A patch of dry land (maybe a city?) surrounded by constantly swirling 1000 foot wall of water in the middle of the ocean.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Gavin said:
3) A permanent whirlpool that reaches all the way to the bottom of the sea. A patch of dry land (maybe a city?) surrounded by constantly swirling 1000 foot wall of water in the middle of the ocean.

This one has been done, and quite well I might add, by Pinnacle Entertainment Group - Hostile Climes: Depths of Despair.

Link

Carnifex

First Post
Gavin said:

2) In a similar vein to the tentacled water walking bug: Water driders. Or at least centaur-like creatures with humanoind upper halves and water walking bug lower halves

Dunno if any of you ever played Planescape, but Zoveri fit this description: Upper half humanoid, lower half like an octopus (ie tentacled), they were lawful good creatures that lived in the ocean at the bottom of Mount Celestia. In a world mostly made of water, they could act as powerful messengers of the gods in a way that the non-aquatic archons cannot. There's an aquatic eladrin too, IIRC.

Crothian

First Post
I agree that we should give a twist to the standard races. I was thinking about instead of having them racially divided, all the races would run the gambit. THis way no one can look at a certainb race and know, truely, what side they are on.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Crothian said:
THis way no one can look at a certainb race and know, truely, what side they are on.

That's sort of how my campaign is run, as well. After all, a night hag is one of the "good guys". ;)

When the PCs encountered a lair of blinogo (goblin-sharks), they discovered that, while the chieftain was quite deranged and evil, several of his clan were not.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
alsih2o said:
oh! and you know those nasty thermal vents with the tube worms, you should have something that heals in that area :)

smack em down, when they fall into the nasty vents, they get re-energized and come right back at ya'!

Hey go check General Monster Talk forum and Boz's Create-a-monster polls. We're currently working on my idea of Giant monstrous Tubeworm colony (in my mind modeled after 'Scylla' of Greek myth)

Crothian

First Post
Tonguez said:

Hey go check General Monster Talk forum and Boz's Create-a-monster polls. We're currently working on my idea of Giant monstrous Tubeworm colony (in my mind modeled after 'Scylla' of Greek myth)

That's a cool idea, thanks for telling us about it. :D

Gavin

First Post
More ideas. Yes I am bored at work.

1) Schools of fish controlled by intelligent hive minds
2) Really freakin' big lampreys
3) An island sized Portugese Man-O-War
4) What about all those freaky skeletal fish that live at the bottom of the ocean and use lights to snare prey?
5) Remoras, those little eel-like things that float around sharks and clean 'em. Would giant, intelligent sharks have giant, intelligent remoras? Would they be servants to the sharks? Advisors? Familiars?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads