Sharn: City of Towers (Book Approval)

Bront

The man with the probe
Here's the place to discuss the Sharn: City of Towers book for approval.

I've already stated that I don't see anything that looks bad in the book at all. Most of the feats are actualy kind of underwealming, and have to do with Sharn. I have not gone in depth with the spells, but they didn't look too bad.

This thread is open to anyone who wishes to add input as to what we may or may not approve in this book as player usable.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
As stated already, Sharn (for crunch) is not all that powerful, but fun if you stay in Sharn for the most part.

Various Crunch:
- Chapter 1-5: Fluff on setting. Chapter 1 has some suggested prices for services, Chapter 4 has some suggested Diplomacy mods for dealing with the guard. Chapter 5 has some more suggested service prices (hiring Deneith mercenaries)
- Chapter 6: Crunch. Feats, PrCs, spells, etc.

Feats:
- Filth Eater: Better saves vs. poison and disease, lessened damage
- Improved Flight Item: Better flight in Sharn from crafted items
- Manifest Flight: Better flight in Sharn from normal flight
- Manifest Leap: Better jumping in Sharn
- Swarm's Embrace: Children of Winter became less harmed by swarms

Equipment:
- Various alchemical drug-like things
- Better clothes, some forging equipment, and the ever popular potion bracer (errated to 100 gp, not 50!)
- Actual drugs
- Even more service prices

PrCs:
- Cannith Wand Adepth: 3 level class. Make Cannith wand wielders into dual wielding machines. Less useful if feats from CompArcane allowed.
- Citadel Elite: Brelish agents. Gains some social skill bonus, combat sense (AC, to hit), some diplomatic protection, etc.
- Sharn Skymage: Become super flyer at the cost of 3 spell levels. Good HD.

It then lists "flavor-approved" PrCs from the Comp* series and others.

Spells:
- Arcane Seal: Arcane Lock++
- Force Hammer: Non-lethal single attack
- Shockwave: Non-lethal fireball

Magic Items:
- Various things to make the dragonmarked PCs better.
- Magical picklocks
- Feather fall tricknet
- Mask to hide auras
- Pendant to detect when magic is used
- Powder to disable alarm
- Magic clothes set
- Small flying sled
- Headband of light
- Manacles of supressing magic

Chapter 7: Monsters, one of which could be (per our rules) a PC: Roach Thrall (LA+2). Pretty much what it sounds like---an insect that hides in humanoid bodies. Probably not a great PC race, however (you can only be in the human host once).

Thats about it.

Knight Otu

First Post
Actually, the roach thrall cannot (easily) be a PC - it also has three monster Hit Dice, making the ECL 5 before class levels. I think with the organizatory things we took over from Living Enworld, we also took over the option of retiring PCs for a higher-level PC than normal, though, which might eventually allow such a creature.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I remember a seriously scary Artificer build with Cannith Wand Adept. The others sort of look fair, but I really wish I could see them fully before rendering judgment. After all, things that sound reasonable in short could be totally unreasonable in total (frex, if Shockwave was a level 1 or 2 spell that did nonlethal damage equal to a normal Fireball with Fireball's radius), if the flying sled had Fly Speed of 200 or something, etc.

Knight Otu

First Post
Shockwave is level 3, close range, with Fortitude partial, 1d4/level (max 10d4) that can daze victims, and has a few additional qualifiers. Force hammer is a 2nd level equivalent that hits a single creature. Soarsleds are 90 ft (good) in Sharn, slower outside. A bit like a 5x5 flying carpet, but with more functionality, and more expensive.

The wand adept problem might be from his ability to use 1d6 charges as a single action point?

Rystil Arden

First Post
See, that's almost exactly what I expected from Shockwave (except the Daze--poor Sound Burst :lol: ). Definitely balanced.

The wand adept thing I saw was a while ago, but it seemed to be doing hundreds of nearly-unavoidable damage at low levels. It may or may not have involved Dual Wand Wielder from Complete Arcane--I know it could dual-wield wands, but I don't know if the PrC granted that or if they had to take the feat.

Knight Otu

First Post
The wand adept can use two wands at once as a full round action, taking 1d4 charges, at 2nd level. Did the build use a 7th level artificer (Metamagic spell trigger)?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
The wand adept can use two wands at once as a full round action, taking 1d4 charges, at 2nd level. Did the build use a 7th level artificer (Metamagic spell trigger)?
You mean 6th artificer? I think that may have been part of the mid-level version that was something like 9th level and doing 200 damage a round (no save) without action points and average 700 (max 1200) with action points.

If we allow that PrC, that build is perfectly legal in our Living Eberron too. It doesn't even really take lots of crazy feats or anything--it is a simple core class / PrC combo that just uses its powers in a really crazy way.

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
You mean 6th artificer?
7th. The artificer received errata, so that the abiilty actually does something when the artificer gains it (it needs the appropriate creation feat, which he gained at 7th level pre-errata).
Rystil Arden said:
I think that may have been part of the mid-level version that was something like 9th level and doing 200 damage a round (no save) without action points and average 700 (max 1200) with action points.

If we allow that PrC, that build is perfectly legal in our Living Eberron too. It doesn't even really take lots of crazy feats or anything--it is a simple core class / PrC combo that just uses its powers in a really crazy way.
Can you remember how exactly it went?

Remove ads