Sharn: City of Towers (Book Approval)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
The biggest problem I can see is that it exacerbates what I like to call the "BBEG is easier than mooks" syndrome prevalent in Eberron. This is where the party sees the BBEG, looks at their action points, looks again at the BBEG, shrugs and says "We're going to level after we kill him anyway", and blasts the BBEG out of the water anticlimactically. This Artificer can do the same with his wands and make the BBEG fight even easier.
Which is why BBEG's in Eberron should be a bit tougher, have a few expendible mini-BBEG's first, and take the Herioic Spirit so they can AP them back.

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
Which is why BBEG's in Eberron should be a bit tougher, have a few expendible mini-BBEG's first, and take the Herioic Spirit so they can AP them back.
I agree. I'm not railing out against the Action Points at all, really. Just that this wand thing makes the syndrome that is started by the Action Points much much worse.

Bront

The man with the probe
I don't think there's an issue, since the actualy problem relates to something in the ECS.

I'm going to review the book again before I make my final vote though :)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Citadel Elite too Powerful?

Citadel Elite got weakened in the errata:

Page 164: Citadel Elite
The Citadel elite’s combat sense ability should be changed as follows:
Combat Sense (Ex): At 2nd level, the Citadel elite develops an intuitive ability to avoid danger and gains a +1 insight bonus to Armor Class.
Beginning at 4th level, a Citadel elite applies the same intuitive sense to striking opponents in combat as well as avoiding blows. The character gains a +1 insight bonus on attack rolls.
In addition, the Citadel elite does not get any bonus feats.

IMO, that's a good thing. However, it still looks interesting to play. Good flavor.

IcyCool

First Post
In regards to the Wand Wielder of Doom, IIRC that pony's trick burned several charges from the wands. Which means that it was a neat, but very expensive trick to pull off all the time.

Add to that fire resistance and Globe of invulnerability, and it becomes less of a concern.

Rystil Arden

First Post
It is still a large concern, as I mentioned above--it is understood that it costs a bunch of charges, so it isn't going to be an 'every battle' tactic, but the wand guy is going to use it when the others are blowing action points on a big fight and turn it into a cake walk. Energy Substitution will get past Fire Resist if the GM is incessant in throwing that in (and if you don't have it, don't use this on the Fire Immune monsters, use it on the ones who are weak to it), and just about nothing in the game except an NPC Wizard can throw up a Globe of Invulnerability.

Remove ads