Sharn: City of Towers (Book Approval)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
7th. The artificer received errata, so that the abiilty actually does something when the artificer gains it (it needs the appropriate creation feat, which he gained at 7th level pre-errata).

Can you remember how exactly it went?
Nope. I know it involved two Scorching Ray wands, Metamagicking them, and I'm guessing the action point one must have either been what you pointed out or else Action Surge (I didn't own even the ECS at the time I read the build, so I didn't catch if it used Action Surge). 7th, eh? Well it takes to 10th then I guess :D

Knight Otu

First Post
(Arg, something wants to prevent my reply it seems :mad: )

It appears like the heartpiece is Twin Spell (not SRD or Eberron, as far as I recall), though Repeat Spell (SRD material) might work the same. Quicken Spell, while possible, might not enter the equation, because the Wand Adept ability specifically requires a full round action.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
(Arg, something wants to prevent my reply it seems :mad: )

It appears like the heartpiece is Twin Spell (not SRD or Eberron, as far as I recall), though Repeat Spell (SRD material) might work the same. Quicken Spell, while possible, might not enter the equation, because the Wand Adept ability specifically requires a full round action.
They can still do the FRA and then add a Quickened one after that. Also, they can do nearly as much damage with Empower or Maximise, which are SRD. Add to that the fact that I think Twin Spell is a fine and worthy feat in any other circumstances :confused:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
The wand adept adds his class level to the wand's caster level, stacking with wand mastery.
Right, I thought so. This means that By 9th level, his caster level is +5, so he can craft 6th-level wands of Scorching Ray on the cheap and get all 3 rays. Plus if an enemy steals them, they find out that they got stuck with the worst level of Scorching Ray ever, the last level of only one ray :lol:

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
How would things be affected if we had an errata that says that only a single metamagic feat can be added per round by the Metamagic spell trigger (meaning that only one wand would benefit, and from only one mmf)?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
How would things be affected if we had an errata that says that only a single metamagic feat can be added per round by the Metamagic spell trigger (meaning that only one wand would benefit, and from only one mmf)?
That would help. I believe it reduces the damage per round to roughly 36d6 single target or with a different wand 30d6 area effect save for half. This is still over twice as much as a Wizard who prepared spells with metamagic feats he took to maximize his efficiency at level 9 could do. This may not be a problem, though, since it does cost the artificer a bit to keep using this.

The biggest problem I can see is that it exacerbates what I like to call the "BBEG is easier than mooks" syndrome prevalent in Eberron. This is where the party sees the BBEG, looks at their action points, looks again at the BBEG, shrugs and says "We're going to level after we kill him anyway", and blasts the BBEG out of the water anticlimactically. This Artificer can do the same with his wands and make the BBEG fight even easier.

Remove ads