Shattered Sea Chronicles, Book I: Festival of the Dead

Fenris

Adventurer
Blarkon Dragonslayer said:
The dwarves cheer, a deep, rumbling yell that can be heard for blocks. It isn't often that a dwarf comes to manhood, and they intend to make the most of it.

Broderick raises his fist in acknowledgement of the crowd and to encourage more. He walks over to Grerik and helps in to his feet.
"Steady there Greybeard Gerik. Shall I fetch you your cane?" taunts Broderick with a grin.

"Come on, lets get some ale before they've drunk the Badger dry!" says Broderick climbing out of the pit.

-The Nameless Psion and Larren-
The young woman is helped to her feet, and some of the terror fades. She looks at her rescuers, and smiles a bit tremulously. "Thank you both...those things...they were horrible!" As she looks at them, a thought occurs to her, and she says, "Will...will they come back?"

As if in answer to her question, a party of four men bearing halberds, and wearing studded leather, and four dwarves in chain shirts with war axes appears. With the group is a man who seems rather too mild to be with such a well-armed group, his demeanor much like someone's rather reserved uncle.

The crowd of merry makers is babbling and pointing down the alley. "Zombies..dead things...fire!"

At a gesture from the mild-appearing man, the patrol of soldiers moves off down the alley, and there is the sound of much meaty thudding of blade into dead flesh. Then the man looks at the two adventurers, and the rescued girl.

"Well, from the sound of it, the zombies won't be any further trouble. Now...what happened here?"

-Johanna and Redbeard and Broderick-

The man selling trinkets is all too happy to direct the druid and the barbarian to the Granite Badger. It doesn't take too long for them to find it, especially given all the roaring and laughter coming from the somewhat formidable looking stone building.

Inside, they find a scene of riot, though a happy one. A rather formidable looking dwarf is being carried around on the shoulders of several others, ale is flowing freely, and a very old drinking song is being sung.

As they move inside the door, two massive steins of ale are thrust at them, by a formidable looking old dwarf. "Welcome, welcome! My grandson Broderick is a warrior born, such a fine day it is! Welcome! Go and congratulate him...if ye can catch him!"

The proprietor, a human, is dispensing ale in prodigious quantities, though he's looking around, a hint of worry crossing his features.

Broderick is finding himself passed around the room, by a festhall full of celebrating dwarves. The solid folk don't celebrate often, but when they do...it can get very loud.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Looking gratefully at the drinks in their hands, Redbeard shrugs. Trying to yell over the noisy crowd, "Your next one is on me. The old dwarf bought our ale, the least we can do is give his grandson well wishes, c'mon!"

Redbeard weaves his bulk through the crowd, towards the dwarf that was boosted high into the air, all the while keeping an eye out for Olephas.

pathfinderq1

First Post
EvolutionKB said:
Looking gratefully at the drinks in their hands, Redbeard shrugs. Trying to yell over the noisy crowd, "Your next one is on me. The old dwarf bought our ale, the least we can do is give his grandson well wishes, c'mon!"

Redbeard weaves his bulk through the crowd, towards the dwarf that was boosted high into the air, all the while keeping an eye out for Olephas.

Johanna had enough presence of mind to thank the older dwarf for his generosity, and then she wormed her way through the crowd of revelers. After a few moments of pushing she found a spot along one of the walls where she could stack her heavy backpack and her longspear out of the way. Then, substantially less encumbered, she worked her way back over to where Redbeard was. Throughout the whole process, she listened to the roar of the dwarven singers- their song was quite intriguing, and utterly different from the Jotun songs she had learned.

Once she had made her way back to Redbeard's side, she looked out over the mostly short folk. "So, do you know anyone here?" She wasn't quite sure that he would even hear her at this point- the din was deafening...

EvolutionKB

First Post
"Aye, me master, Olephas was going to meet me here. Old human, ye see 'em?" Redbeard takes a long swig of ale, some of it dribbling down his chin into his beard.

pathfinderq1

First Post
EvolutionKB said:
"Aye, me master, Olephas was going to meet me here. Old human, ye see 'em?" Redbeard takes a long swig of ale, some of it dribbling down his chin into his beard.

Johanna looked out over the crowd of celebrating dwarves- while there were other humans in the room, the large number of dwarves made her feel like she was atop the crow's nest back aboard ship. She scanned the room, looking for anyone meeting Redbeard's rather vague description. In between glances, she worked on drinking her ale- it wasn't quite Jotun quality, but it wasn't bad and between her travel and her fight, she found herself quite thirsty.

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Blarkon Dragonslayer said:
-The Nameless Psion and Larren-
The young woman is helped to her feet, and some of the terror fades. She looks at her rescuers, and smiles a bit tremulously. "Thank you both...those things...they were horrible!" As she looks at them, a thought occurs to her, and she says, "Will...will they come back?"

As if in answer to her question, a party of four men bearing halberds, and wearing studded leather, and four dwarves in chain shirts with war axes appears. With the group is a man who seems rather too mild to be with such a well-armed group, his demeanor much like someone's rather reserved uncle.

The crowd of merry makers is babbling and pointing down the alley. "Zombies..dead things...fire!"

At a gesture from the mild-appearing man, the patrol of soldiers moves off down the alley, and there is the sound of much meaty thudding of blade into dead flesh. Then the man looks at the two adventurers, and the rescued girl.

"Well, from the sound of it, the zombies won't be any further trouble. Now...what happened here?"
Well I am not too sure.” He says as he gives the Officer a shrug. “See I was just around the corner, over there.” He continues to speak as he points down the alleyway he came from, “Listening to a most wonderfully pleasing melody, when I heard a sudden and very off key scream come from this direction. When I came running, I saw this lady being dragged off by those Undead.

-All-

May 1-2, 1106 CR

In the alleyway, Larren and the nameless psion find themselves talking to Inspector Haversham, who turns out to be a Royal Inspector. The Royal Inspectors are well known in Avonleigh, in that they are a small, elite group that answer to the Chancellor of the the Realm directly. In this case, Haversham has been sent to assist the "Duke of Northlands" as the Thane of Stone Mountain is officially titled in Avonleigh the kingdom, during the festival. He questions them, in a friendly but thorough way, seemingly satisfied enough with their answers. Haversham does want to talk to them some more about the situation, and asks where they are staying in the city.

At this point, the girl they rescued speaks up. Her name, it turns out, is Lysana, and her father is Morris the Quick, owner and proprietor of the Granite Badger. Her father will want to provide for her rescuer's needs during the festival. Haversham seems satisfied with that, and goes to see what is happening with his squad of enforcers.

Lysana leads her two stalwarts to the Badger, though the din coming from it would likely have made it easy to find in any case. She's a pretty lass, and the way she is eyeing Larren seems most promising to the cleric of entropy.

When they arrive at the Badger, they find it full of dwarves, though not a few humans are present. The party for Broderick remains in full swing, and both Larren and the psion quickly are provided with copious ale. When Lysana tells her father what they did, he is very grateful indeed, offering them both rooms for the duration of the festival. Lysana is also quite popular with the dwarves, being well known to Broderick, who has seen her grow up from babyhood, of course. In any case, the two heroes are roundly cheered, and buffeted with many staunch dwarven backslappings.

Morris, it seems, may once have been Quick. He may even still be, when needed, but now he hides it well behind the facade of a late middle-aged, rather corpulent innkeeper. He definitely dotes upon his daughter, however, who is apparently his youngest child. "Mother" also is very grateful, being a woman of Jotun ancestry, and obviously of an age with her husband.

The two heroes are placed at the high table, along with Johanna and Redbeard. Such wounds as Johanna and Redbeard had sustained are long healed, Olephas clucking a bit as he uses the power of nature. Olephas, it turns out, was in the kitchen of the inn, helping Mother Quick prepare, and as the feast of Broderick's manhood continues, several things become apparent.

First, Dunrick, Broderick's grandfather, Olephas, Redbeard's trainer, (known as Lee to his friends) the Quicks, and Ulric Wolfsong, Johanna's storied grandfather, were once adventurers together. They are all well known to each other, and apparently meet each year during the festival to recall fallen friends, and reminisce about old exploits. It also turns out that Mother Quick, whose given name is Ullana, is a relative of Johanna's, being Ulric's younger sister. The captain of Johanna's ship, Olaf, and the brothers Finnacar, are old acquaintances of Ullana.

The feast itself is as bountiful as the ale was, with each course being ushered in by a dwarf relating some anecdote about Broderick's boyhood. Finally though, the last platter of demolished pork roast, and lizard steaks, and mushroom gravy, are cleared from the table, and the constant wall of noise fades. It's long after midnight, when the adventurers, young and old alike, finally get to bed. Broderick is staying at the Badger, as is his grandfather, because he is at a stage of life when he is considered almost a man, and thus too old to sleep in his family's quarters, but not yet ready to move into the warrens of the bachelor dwarves within the mountain. Larren doesn't sleep alone.

In the morning, the adventurers wake up and make their way down to the common room, which is much less crowded then the night before. Mother and Lysana, as well as several hired servants, have cleaned up from the night before, and the old adventurers are at a table swapping stories.

Another table nearby is set for the younger adventurers, along with a solid breakfast. Also waiting for them is Inspector Haversham...

Last edited:

EvolutionKB

First Post
Redbeard

When Redbeard wakes up, he rubs his head. Too much ale, he thinks, you only become a man once I guess. Redbeard turns, smelling his armpits, snorts and shrugs. He puts on his ale and food stained clothes from the previous day. Polly was sitting on the nightstand, her head under her wing. Redbeard strokes her back and she wakes up. He opens the window for her, the dawn light making him squint. She takes off, probably looking for her own breakfast. Redbeard takes walks down the stairs, the stairs creaking all the way. He emerges into the common room to see his master and his friends talking over breakfast. In all the commotion last night he had forgotten to talk to Olephas about Fiscus and his dealings. It could wait, it was time for breakfast. After a gesture to the open table from Olephas, Redbeard takes a seat. There is a guy in some fancy looking clothes there, Redbeard doesn't reconize him so he begins eating his breakfast, a fork in both hands, it helps to get it in his mouth a lot quicker.

Remove ads