Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour (Updated 29 Jan 2014)

Shemeska

Adventurer
Dear Shemeska:

I understand that you're quite busy, so if you've given up on providing us with a "novelized" compendium of both adventures, perhaps you might offer us an anthology of each instead. Encounters of lesser importance could be summarized briefly and those of greater importance could be fleshed out properly in order to save time. This would at least let your following here enjoy some sort of resolution to your fine story hours. *crosses fingers*

Respectfully,
Tsuga C

It's a nice idea, and there will be an update this week.

Currently writing it, about 75% done. I am however skipping random/not important fight scenes. I'll probably do that in the future, but won't be skipping metaplot and character development stuff.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Elsewhere, the third group stood before the largest of the caves, and in fact they’d been standing there for some time. Standing there with them, Toras couldn’t entirely blame them since the rock was almost completely obscured with a dense blanket of white, gauzy webbing.

Glancing into the darkness of the yawning cave mouth, with his hands on both of his sword pommels, Frollis Terpence smiled at Toras, “You go first.”

Toras raised an eyebrow, “Really? Seriously? I haven’t heard a word out of you in a day and a half –I don’t think I even saw you yesterday- and the first thing out of your mouth is ‘you go first’?”

“Gallantry is over-rated my friend.” The rogue quipped. “And that’s not normal white lichen covering on the rocks. You’re a much bigger and much better armored target for whatever caused it.”

“Gee, thanks for the endorsement of my function here.”

Frollis bowed and motioned the half-celestial forward. “Consider it a Pandemonium version of having a friend be the first to walk a new trail in the woods, breaking all of the spider webs across the way in doing so. I’m not just being safe, I’m giving you the endorsement of my view of your capacity for courage.”

“Yeah…” Toras trailed off. “Just stay close by.”

“I’ll be in your shadow, don’t worry.”

-fades away slightly as the larger, half-celestial’s shadow passed over him.

“You know, I haven’t really gotten much of a chance to actually talk to you that much.” Toras said, looking the rogue over and wondering just what sort of person he was.

Dressed almost completely in black and wearing not one, but two holy symbols around his neck, one of which was Mask, the Faerunian god of thieves, he didn’t exactly seem the most wholesome of a person. Having talked with Fyrehowl and Florian earlier that day, they’d been of rather the same opinion, and Clueless had had his eyes on him for a while longer. Still though, it seemed too obvious to blame random and horrific murders on someone just because they wore black, were a rogueish sort, and wait… just because the other holy symbol around their neck was the Faerunian god of retribution. Hmm.

“That’s an odd collection of jewelry around your neck.” Toras remarked, glancing at the rogue’s holy symbols.

Frollis chuckled but didn’t make any attempt to hide either of them. “We’re both tools of a god aren’t we? It’s just that you only have to deal with one; lucky you. There’s more than one holy worm in my ears. It can be annoying at times, but their intentions and methods aren’t always all that different.”

“Oh?”

“Justice and shadows, that’s what I’m all about.” Frollis explained. “Mask for instance is the patron of stealth and intrigue.”

“And thieves.” Toras added.

Frollis raised an eyebrow and shrugged. “So he is, but your tiefling friend is both a nutter and a thief, and you seem to get along quite well with her. Hmm?”

Nutter? Absolutely. Thief? Well that was a matter of perspective. Nisha was Nisha.

“Hoar the Doombringer is the god of poetic justice and retribution. I prefer to carry out the latter god’s will via the former’s.” Frollis flashed a self-satisfied grin.

“How so?”

“Justice doesn’t have to be about kicking in the door at noon, dressing in silver armor and loudly bashing heads and arresting someone for a crime. Punishment doesn’t have to be by the rule of law or the rule of men. Sometimes the best kind of justice is that which takes place without a single soul knowing about it except for the one that deserves it.”

Toras nodded, partially out of understanding and partially out of uncertainty. “The person carrying it out would know as well.”

“So I would.” Frollis said with a grin. “The shadows don’t have to be the rule of thieves and those hiding out of selfishness. Evil needs to fear the darkness just as it does the light. You can’t hide from justice.”

“And now you sound like a Mercykiller.”

Frollis wrinkled his face as if he’d tasted bad wine turned to vinegar. “So I do. That’s…”

He paused abruptly and moved to the cave wall, motioning Toras to do the same.

Further down the passage, something was moving. It was abrupt, and then it stopped; paused, waiting. It was a series of brief, whispered taps of something hard on stone in rapid succession. Whatever caused it, the sound was something very unlike humanoid feet, booted or otherwise.

“I heard it too.” Toras whispered. “What the hell is that?”

Frollis gave Toras an annoyed stare and motioned to his lips, then shrugged as a reply to the question. Still though, he drew both of his blades and eased back into the half-celestial’s shadow.

A dozen feet away, the shadow-dancer stepped out of one pool of darkness and then hopped to the next, trying to scout out the location of whatever had made the noise. Watching him, and barely managing to keep track of his location each time he stepped between shadows, Toras gave a nod to himself. That’s what he was capable of, and that’s why he seemed to simply vanish with barely a second’s notice. Half the time he bolted, he might have simply been a few feet away but largely out of sight. Still, it just raised more questions since clearly he was more capable than anyone had initially suspected.

A tap on his shoulder took Toras from his thoughts and sent a hand to his sword grip before he heard a sigh and the same hand slap at his. Frollis now stood behind him, having jumped back into his shadow.

“Well?” Toras asked as quietly as possible.

Frollis shrugged uselessly, throwing his hands up.

And that of course was when they were both illuminated in a wash of sickly yellow light. From directly above them came a bellowing roar and the chattering rustle of mandibles and pedipalps as the head and forelegs of a massive bebelith erupted from out of a previously hidden side tunnel. Toras and his shadow-dwelling companion dove to the side as the creature dropped down, filling the entirety of the passage with its steel-grey and pale violet carapace. Down the tunnel came nearly a dozen eruptions of insectile whines and shrieks, followed shortly thereafter by the shouts of men and the movement of torchlight and franticly dancing shadows.

Toras glanced up, gripping his sword tightly, looking at his face reflected back in miniature from across the multitude of the spider-like fiend’s compound eyes. The creature grinned, cherishing the chance to rend something beyond its normal prey, belying the intelligence of something far beyond and far more malevolent than simply a giant, monstrous spider.

***​

Meanwhile back with the second group, there was more to come with the bizarre material written upon the walls, and momentarily they dismissed the one oddly and disturbingly familiar line of text that harkened back to a name –HUBRIS– written at the base of an ancient statue or golem, miles below the streets of Sigil.

Tristol moved to examine some of the strange writing, glancing at the same portion of the wall that currently occupied Fyrehowl’s attention.

“What’s that one say?” The lupinal tapped the mage on the shoulder and inclined her nose towards one of the meandering stanzas.

Tristol looked at her oddly, “I thought guardinals could understand pretty much every language.”

Fyrehowl shook her head. “We can, sort of. It’s spoken languages only. And it’s not exactly the same as knowing the language itself. We can understand anything spoken, but unless I go out and learn the language I don’t get all of the quirks and subtleties, and it doesn’t work at all when it’s written down.”

Tristol nodded, “Nice ability though nonetheless. I took me years to learn all of the ones that I’ve picked up.”

“How many do you know? You’ve seemed to do pretty well so far with most of what we’ve seen.”

Tristol had to think for a moment, and he silently tapped a few fingers on one hand and then another. “Twelve at the moment.”

“Twelve?” Fyrehowl’s looked impressed, ears canted forward. “That’s quite a number. I can pull half of that, and I’ve had a lot longer to learn them.”

The aasimar smiled. “You haven’t needed to learn them though, you get to cheat.”

She shrugged, “It’s more fun to actually learn the real language though. It’s easier to just ‘cheat’ as you say it, but it doesn’t feel as authentic, or as close to truly understanding someone. But it works for most things, although it doesn’t come close to knowing what Xaositects are babbling about half of the time.” She glanced over at Nisha as the tiefling stood upside down on the cave ceiling, crouching like a bat, wordlessly opening her mouth in batty pantomime.

“Here’s a secret.” Tristol whispered. “I don’t think Xaositects know what Xaositects are saying half the time either.”

Up on the ceiling, the Nisha-Bat nodded vigorously with a grin on her face. A moment later she paused and looked confused, babbled to herself in xaos-speak, and then promptly understood herself perfectly well.

“I’m inclined to agree with you.” Fyrehowl said, chuckling at Tristol as they both glanced at Nisha.

Ignoring the tiefling-come-bat, the two of them studied the brief bits of writing that dotted the tunnel, reading them or using magic to translate when they didn’t fully understand the source languages. Most of them were mundane things, but one of them scrawled its way across the ceiling and initially refused translation. In the end they could only gather that it spoke of something related to ‘the howling madness and the wisdom of the Demented.’

But that was quickly forgotten once they reached another stretch of text. This one was easy to read, except that when they let their eyes play over the text –written in archaic planar common- they swore that for a moment they heard claws scratching at the stone and a distant shrill whistle of wind, almost like a far-off howling.

‘Do you hear the code? Can you listen to the keen and wail of the winds and hear their secret whisperings even the gods deign to ignore out of ignorance… and fear?’

They stared at the text again, slowly rereading it, and once again they heard the same things. Ears erect and glancing about with more than a small bit of paranoia, no one else in the tunnel seemed to have heard anything. Clueless was looking at a patch of wall a ways down from them, seemingly unconcerned and unaware of what they’d heard, several of their academics were likewise paying rapt attention to bits of text, and equally unaware. Nisha for her part was busy chomping at imaginary bugs, still embroiled in her bat pantomime.

“Bebeliths are yummy!” She quipped down at Tristol and Fyrehowl, flapping her arms like wings. She took their worried reactions to pertain to her own brand of crazy. “Teeny tiny bebeliths…”

Less concerned with Nisha than on the apparently supernatural element of the wall’s text, Tristol and Fyrehowl looked back at the text, reading it over and over.

While both the aasimar and lupinal were both staring blankly at the wall for far too long than was probably healthy, Clueless had found something of his own to be concerned about. Below a line of text on the wall which he hadn’t pondered long enough to translate, a single mage rune was neatly and intricately melted into the stone. Below that very familiar symbol -a mage’s personal rune melted into the stone- the text from above picked back up in the same language as the earlier text.

***​

-Insert fight with multiple bebeliths and several immature ones.-

***​

Clueless stared at the mage rune melted into the rock. Like the eye of some slumbering, dreaming serpent long buried over by the earth, it gazed back, insensate but like a slumbering dragon’s eye, it served a warning to not disturb its resting place. Clueless had no intention of simply ignoring it however as he looked more intensely at it, and its surroundings.

What disturbed him the most was that from the wear patterns on the rock, the top inscription was obviously oldest, nearly worn away in places. By contrast the mage rune was ancient as well, but orders of magnitude younger, and the next line of text was roughly the same age as it. But both top and bottom texts were in the same script and seemingly by the same hand, almost as if the words in the stone had reacted to the defacing of the wall with the mage rune where some ancient wizard had marked his self-important coming.

“naughty word…” Clueless muttered to himself. He recognized the symbol from when he’d looked into information on heavy magic and stumbled upon the story of Shekelor. The details of the last factol of the Incanterium came back to the forefront of his mind with eerie recall. Shekelor had vanished into the depths of Pandemonium, searching for something and claiming that when he returned to Sigil, he would do so to topple The Lady. That hadn’t happened, and instead he’d come back screaming, babbling nonsense, and publically incinerating. The full details of his time in Pandemonium weren’t fully known, but apparently at some point he’d come here to Howler’s Crag.

The translation was simple enough with magic: ‘We gather where the rock grows jagged, where the wind whistles its tune, where the hole in the sky rests beneath the bedrock of all chaos and madness’

Glancing back at his companions, still staring intently at another distant wall, or in Nisha’s case simply being Nisha, Clueless inhaled and whispered the words of a legend lore spell as he dipped his finger into the tiny fraction of heavy magic he kept on his person. Shekelor had found the orb and its contents, and while it wasn’t what had compelled him to abruptly abandon his factol, depart Sigil, and trek through the bowels of the multiverse, what he’d considered a fascinating if trivial anomaly might help unravel what he’d been looking for at Howler’s Crag, and why he’d marked the place with his personal symbol.

***​

Conjured light illuminated the cave, throwing heavy shadows from some of the smaller, jagged outcroppings of rock, pooling within the many niches and recessed shrines. Footsteps approached from the mouth of the tunnel, sending a scatter of rocks and pebbles before their master, his footsteps unsteady and awkward – not out of any notion of wariness or fear, but rather they were the steps of someone unused to physically walking when teleportation and flight were but a thought away. But certain things required exertion and deigning unhallowed ground with their presence, and this cave within Howler’s Crag was one such thing.

Clueless watched the conjured vision continue as a familiar person stepped into view and approached the same set of carvings upon the cave wall. Shekelor, the Archmage, the once-factol of the Incanterium. He’d left everything behind on his quest to bring the Lady low, or so he’d claimed. Clueless had met his apprentice factors, and in their maze they’d achieved an immortality of a sorts, and they hadn’t fallen far from their master’s example.

Shekelor’s eyes glowed with a dull platinum light, swirling with muted reflections, the hallmark of his decision to physically embrace his faction’s ideology. Magic is everything.

He smiled, tracing his fingers over the lines, obviously gaining some knowledge from them that eluded the half-fey watching his actions millennia later.

“How interesting…” His smile turned introspective, his thoughts wandering for a long moment before he whispered a phrase and traced his mage-rune into the wall where Clueless had found it.

But then the light shifted as another set of shadows interrupted his, followed in turn by a synchronized series of footfalls. A trio of figured melted out of the darkness, gaunt men with blank expressions, dressed in oily black from head to foot, black goggles hiding their eyes.

“Give us the Orb.” The first of their number demanded without inflection or emotion.

Shekelor turned and scowled at the Keepers.

“I am growing tired of you and your kind. I’ve already killed a dozen of you. How many more must I waste my time with?”

“Give us what we want and we will let you be.”

“And why are you so interested in it?” Shekelor’s eyes narrowed. “It’s a powerful curiosity, but it has nothing to do with you. You just show up, repeatedly, and demand that I give it to you. You’ve hassled me on five different planes, and I repeat, I am growing tired of you and your kind.”

The Keepers glanced at one another and as one turned back to coldly stare at the archmage. Their gaze was unnerving, and Shekelor knew full well that no eyes stared back from below their goggles, and no heart beat within their pale, rubbery chests. But for that matter his own eyes were anything but human, nor any more, and his life existed independent of the normal substances that sustained virtually every other being. Why should they disturb him, whatever they were, wherever they were from, and regardless of what they demanded?

“You’ve seen what I’m capable of.” The Incantifer bluntly stated. “I neither sleep nor tire, and outside of proving yourselves an annoyance, you have no capacity to threaten me. Leave now and never bother me again. This is my last warning.”

The silence was oppressive as neither the mage nor the Keepers moved, not even to breath, since none of them required it. Shekelor sneered with an elitism borne of tremendous power and tremendous ego, and for their part the construct-like beings that hounded him now and before gave no emotion or other indication of worry at his threat.

“Give us the Orb.”

With sudden abruptness, and speed belying his outwardly late-middle age appearance, Shekelor clapped his hands together. The fabric of space distorted, rippling as the clap echoed through across the cave. Simultaneously, all three Keepers imploded, falling to the ground as dissolving amalgamations of clothing and flesh, crushed to pulp in the space of a moment.

“No.” The archmage dryly pronounced as he stepped around their bubbling, evaporating essence, laughing at their deaths as he left.

Shekelor was gone and his conjured light began to fade when it happened. The factol never saw it, but it might have served a warning if he had. The letters on the wall that he’d searched for, the writing that he’d travelled so far to find, the answer to whatever question he had, it began adding to itself. A second line formed of its own accord, seeping out of the rock like wriggling insects. “…and long shall you gaze.”

The spell ended abruptly, wrenching Clueless’s mind out of that conjured moment of the past and back to the present. The bladesinger shivered as looked up at the complete line of text, knowing that it had reacted to Shekelor’s passing, and the archmage had never noticed. He shivered again, almost like a thousand tiny spiders crawling on his skin. Spiders…

“Oh hell with that.” Clueless softly cursed, knowing all too well what the factol’s last words had been. He shook the memory out of his head as much as he could. Evidently the factol had found what he’d been searching for, or perhaps it had found him.

***​

The Ward of Masks was alife with the skipper skapper of tongues heralding the looming festival of lamps run by the merchants of the copper district. Soon their dancing lights would themselves pay prophet to the groundbreaking of the Festhall one ward over. Crowds had already gathered for the ceremonial lighting.

The firre and his coterie of coure lampers stood upon their podium and the assembled crowd watched as the silver and burgundy clad eladrin raised his hands in welcome. A warm glow began at his fingertips, and then, unexpectedly, the courtyard flashed with colors entirely outside of his planning. The crowd gasped and turned as a portal flickered into being, outlined by the arms of a pair of statues and a tiny spider’s web that branched between their outstretched fingers.

Crimson turned to inky black as the portal opened, blowing a hollow, metallic scent upon the air as a single figure stumbled out of the darkness. He stumbled as he exited from wherever he’d come, losing his grip and sending a handful of sparkling gemstones scattered out onto the ground and amidst the shocked crowds’ feet. He was dirty, once fine robes smudged with dirt and ashes. His hair was wild and unwashed, but a palpable sense of –power- exuded from his very being.

The portal closed with a resounding crackle of energy and its former boundaries, the twin statues, shuddered. Lightning sparked between the marble fingers, incinerating the spider and its web into a fine dust of ashes, and a moment later the statues themselves cracked and crumbled to dust. The portal was closed, the air was still, but light still cascaded across the plaza.

The man stumbled forward another step. He looked confused, and above and beyond that, he seemed terrified. Light was shining from his body, illuminating an outline of his body beneath his robes, and every second that passed the intensity grew. Too shocked at his sudden appearance, the crowd was yet silent.

The light grew brighter, shining from his flesh brighter even than the firre who stood a score of yards distant. The eladrin felt something terribly wrong. Something had touched this man. Something terrible. Something –wrong-. But he couldn’t tell if it was evil or not.

Something horrible was about to happen.

Shekelor’s senses screamed. This wasn’t supposed to happen. Why was he here? Could they have followed? Oh gods above, what he’d seen in The Harmonica. His flesh burned from within, and he grew aware of the building light that even now seared his fingers.

Distantly, beyond the crowd, the archmage saw a single figure drifting into view; tall, regal, serene. Hovering, She turned and looked at him, making eye contact as the pain became unbearable.

He had to warn them. He had to warn them all, before it was too late.

“THE SPIDERS!!!!”

The crowd’s hush broke into a screaming, scrambling frenzy as the man burst into flame, erupting into a searing glow, screaming madly for a second more before he completely incinerated into nothing. Nothing remained but for the scattering of stones, each of them glowing with inner light, lost to the scramble of the crowd, kicked and dispersed in the passing of feet, claws, hooves.

Shekelor was gone, his vision to topple The Lady uncompleted. His mad, grand claims snuffed out like a candle flame in Pandemonium’s winds.

The figure turned and drifted away, as silent and serene as before.

***​

Toras made a face as he tried in vain to get the sticky, disgusting mess of bebelith silk and blood off of his sword, off of his armor, and out of his hair. It reeked, and unlike tanar’ri it didn’t seem to evaporate once they died, or flashed away in a cloud of fire, or turned into luminescent corpse flies. That would be fine on the grand scale of things; anything but the mess that was left after he’d taken on a bebelith hive. And where the hell had Frollis up and vanished off to?

Back down the warren of tunnels, away from where Toras was venting his frustration and kicking a dead bebelith, Settys Al Khylian walked through the caves, gingerly avoiding each bunch of burning webbing, letting them smolder and light his way. Brandishing his glowing khopesh, he went about neatly and methodically severing the heads of each bebelith corpse he encountered, ensuring that the creatures were and stayed dead.

Walking alongside the cleric, both Doran and Leobtav followed along, staying close in the event that something was still alive in the cave, both of them carrying conjured globes of light. Behind them, a small number of academics followed along dutifully, taking notes on the symbols on the cave walls, mapping the tunnel itself, or simply curious to watch as his went about his business.

“I’d also advise that we incinerate the remains along with any eggs.” The priest of Thoth warned. “If one of them hatches, they rapidly mature and we have too many things out in the dark already.”

“How much do you know about them? Bebeliths I mean.” Leobtav asked.

“I’ve run across them before near Curst, south of one of the tributaries of Maat. Difficult, violent creatures, but I haven’t studied them extensively beyond knowing how to handle them in a practical manner.”

“Then you aren’t aware of their feeding and hunting habits no?” Leobtav was going somewhere with his commentary, and beside him, Doran winced as he came to the same realization.

“They subsist almost entirely on tanar’ri flesh.” The elf explained in his colleague’s stead. “They hunt and eat demons.”

“The irony is that they probably preyed more on the fiends out there than anything else.” Leobtav remarked. “With the bebeliths gone, it might actually be more dangerous for us here in the long run.”

As they talked, Leobtav felt a tiny tug on his collar. Looking down, Ficklebarb caught his attention and motioned with his tail directly above them. Previously covered by a large swathe of bebelith webbing, a spidery collection of runes danced across the ceiling. When the last of the arachnid demons fell, its dying spasms had dislodged the covering and revealed the writing.

“I have to wonder if the bebelith hive might not be the source of our latest problems.” Doran asked, glancing at the massive body of one of the fiends. “They’re intelligent, so it’s not entirely out of the question I suppose. And I’ve never personally seen a hive this large.”

“Perhaps,” Settys mused. “But I seriously doubt it. They wouldn’t toy with us, and something clearly is doing just that. And we’re still missing two people. If we don’t find them dismembered and half-eaten somewhere in the caves here, covered in webbing and bebelith spittle, I think that notion can be dropped.”

The cleric clearly didn’t think much of the idea, but the elf was honestly more interested in his reaction. Based on the past few days, they needed to be open to the idea that one of their own had gone mad, and it wasn’t some fiend out in the shrieking darkness preying on them.

“What’s your opinion?” Doran asked, glancing over at Leobtav.

Leobtav wasn’t paying attention though. His eyes were fixed on a portion of the ceiling and a tracing of symbols that ran back and forth across the hand-carved stone back and forth for several dozen lines. His eyes were wide as he glanced between the symbols and his field journal. Perched on his shoulder, Ficklebarb’s head craned back and forth in alternating pattern to his master’s from book to script and back.

“Do you think…?” The pseudodragon asked with some hesitation.

Leobtav was preoccupied however, flipping back and forth, comparing samples in his journal with those on the stone. Each time he went from stone to book his expression lifted, growing more and more excited, grinning ear to ear.

“Sir?” Highsilver asked again. His voice trailed off though upon noticing his colleague’s expression.

It would evade magical translation as every other sample of the language had before – something to do with the tieres’ self-made damnation. But mundane translation was something else entirely. “Our glorious father, creator and protector. Our lives we gave, our tears we wept, children we raised in adoration of you. The labor of centuries we gave, poured forth from our midst to build unto you an eternal Cathedral in honor and obeisance of You our patron and maker.

It continued for paragraphs more, and while the fine details would need to be painstakingly deciphered, word by word, this was it: Gautish.

The professor’s voice was ecstatic. “I think we’ve found it.”

***​

Shemeska

Adventurer
Painstakingly copied from cave-wall to paper, the gautish script was easily the largest such sample that had been found written within the passages that honeycombed Howler’s Crag. It was also one of the most well preserved, almost as if the hatred of the people once known as the tiere continued down through the ages, reaching across the planes from their long-since become native Carceri to preserve and protect it like some sort of stranglehold upon the memory of their origin, and their great crime of virtual deicide.

None of the researchers, not even Highsilver or Leobtav had yet managed to fully decipher the text, and so for the moment it sat, illuminated by lamplight on Leobtav’s desk. His familiar though glanced at it warily, a look of worry on his face as if the poisoned thoughts of the gautiere might reach out like a sort of worm-word empowered by Pandemonium’s winds. It might indeed have, but it wasn’t the cause of the group’s current problem that stalked them in the darkness, killing them one by one.

And be that as it might, the text still held its secrets. The text contained both the lamentation of the tiere, the tale of their self-initiated damnation, and buried within its words the encoded location of their fall. It was there, waiting to be unlocked, and out in the darkness, someone was willing to kill for it.

“Our glorious father, creator and protector. Our lives we gave, our tears we wept, children we raised in adoration of you. The labor of centuries we gave, poured forth from our midst to build unto you an eternal Cathedral in honor and obeisance of You our patron and maker.
Why then did you hide? Why did you seek shelter inside our greatest creation, made in your name? Why did you forsake us then to our enemies and their powers when in anger and jealousy they came to steal away from you and we our eternal offering? Why did you hide as if a child within the depths of your palace we built for you with our pain and glory? Why did you seal fast the doors, bar your children entry, and leave us to the mercy of your feared rivals? Why oh mighty one?
Were you afraid? Did you fear more for your own life than those of your followers who feared not for their own in the face of death, but served you faithfully? Who then is the righteous and who is the damned? Who shows the spark of the divine, and who is but a pale reflection of it? Oh mighty one indeed. You seal the doors at the approaching hoof beats and drums of the armies and listen not to the wailings of your chosen, now forgotten and forsaken people.
RAGE to sunder the heavens we felt! All of our centuries of faith to you, forgotten in an instant! We will die not at the hands of your enemies who come to slay you and we in envy of how we glorified you. Raising our hands, voices, and spirits we scream to the multiverse and the planes themselves to take our hatred, our bitterness, our anger and our betrayal of you. To take these and shackled you for eternity in a prison of our making. No longer the Eternal Cathedral of our most beloved god, but your tomb. Our lives consumed, our souls twisted, the anger flowing out to gird your hands, and bind your feet, to cut out your tongue and blind your eyes. You will never die, but lie in undying impotence and suffering in the misty shadow of the Spire of Magic Death, betrayed by those you sought to betray yourself.
We are no longer your chosen, no longer your servants, no longer your slaves, no longer the Tiere, but the Gautiere.”

***​

“This is amazing!” Leobtav was babbling as he looked over a copy of the script from the cave. “It’s going to take days to translate but…”

“Sir?” One of the associate researchers interrupted him. “Why is that? Can’t we just translate it with magic? That seems the simplest way.”

“Because we can’t,” The professor explained. “That was one of the first things that I tried, but it doesn’t do anything but provide a vague transliteration. You’re more than welcome to try if you can cast the spell, but I don’t think that it’s a protective ward that just tries to resist the effect. As far as I can tell there’s something intrinsic to the language itself that defies magical decipherment. If we want to read it, we’ll have to do this the old-fashioned way. Thankfully we have some small samples, mostly bits and pieces from Carceri. I’ve included those samples on the copies of the raw script that I passed out.”

Tristol’s ears twitched. Something intrinsic to the script itself? That wasn’t so out of the question, especially given what he’d experienced with another, unrelated text elsewhere on the Crag earlier that day. That one at least could be deciphered, but it didn’t really make sense. Hopefully Leobtav and the others could make quick work of theirs. The earlier experience was beginning to really bother him.

Leobtav whispered a few phrases to an amanuensis spell and smiled, satisfied as the conjured force dutifully began transcribing another stack of paper copies of the text, a transliteration, and a further page of notes that he and Doran had both added.

“No more going out into the dark?” Leobtav’s pseudodragon chirped from where he currently sat, curled up atop a pile of books between his master and Tristol.

Leobtav shuffled the stack of freshly penned pages, “No more going out into the dark. We’ve got what we came here for, and while the Crag has its mysteries and a treasure trove of philological information, I don’t want to risk anyone’s safety.”

“Yay!” The pseudodragon beamed. For the first time in two days he seemed genuinely happy.

The little familiar’s smile was infectious, and soon the others in the room were smiling as well. When they left in the next hour their mood spread along with the professor’s pronouncement that they would soon be leaving the howling hell of Pandemonium. Ale was drunk, food was shared, stories were told and laughs exchanged. Like embers scattered in the wind spreading a warm, roaring flame their happiness carried for an evening of respite from the present troubles.

Trouble cared not for their attempts, and it would jar them back to reality with brutal force in short order.

***​

Had he stood in his current position overlooking the camp on some terrestrial world it would have been at the back edge of twilight, with the sun slipping beyond a distant range of hills, with the first stars faintly appearing and the lanterns and cook fires down below only now being stoked. He looked down, watching the little ants scurry about, readying their tents for sleep, putting away their implements of a day’s work, collecting together to talk, discuss, socialize like insects, with as much mindless absence of importance. He also noted that the hired mercenaries were now walking the perimeter, watching the edges of the darkness; they were starting to worry for their safety as much as the others.

The man smiled and returned to his work, eager to finish in full view of his victims, embracing the darkness within as much as the darkness surrounding. Quickly and efficiently, with grace that belied his lack of recent practice, he arranged each of his newest victim’s bones as he desired one after another to produce the desired tableau. His shoulder was heavy, like a piece of his master perched there, watching him with approval as he moved onwards to the next corpse.

“Closer now, ever closer.” He whispered, admiring his handiwork. “Thy will be done.”

In the artificial morning of their arbitrary sleep-cycle, they would find his work.

***​

Doran’s eyes were bloodshot, his hair unkempt, and he stifled a grossly inappropriate yawn as he looked down at the bodies. They’d been found only an hour earlier, but he hadn’t yet slept a wink, neither he nor Leobtav; they’d both been bottled up inside of their respective tents, obsessively pouring over the gautiere text. The text –as far as they’d translated thus far- told the tieres’ history, almost as a rationalization of their great crime, but in a way it was less disturbing than what he looked down upon.

Atop a small ridge of rock that overlooked the camp, two bodies lay on the ground, though it was more complicated than saying precisely that. One body lay on the ground by itself, limp and wrinkled, partially collapsed in on itself. It was flesh only, with every bone removed, bloodlessly and without a single obvious incision. Its skeleton lay a dozen feet off to the side, partially buried in the rocky soil, with the second corpse posed and positioned, kneeling over it with a brush and trowel, as if excavating a find. The second man seemed to have been killed by a single, clean slash to the jugular, but once again it was more complicated. Something had petrified his bones after death, holding him in his rigid, staged position, and the blood that emerged from his neck was transmuted to a trickle of crimson sand.

“What kind of fiend would do this?” One of the other academics asked.

“A sick man, a sick woman… I don’t know.” Doran sighed. He should have known. He was a diviner for all that was holy! But divinations were worthless. He’d tried to ascertain who had performed the earlier murders. He’d even tried to witness them through various forms of psychomancy, but they’d failed. Either the Crag’s proximity limited their use, or the killer was able to thwart such methods of discovery. You cannot stop what you cannot find.

Drawn in a trail of crimson sand upon the ground, the killer had left them a taunting message, ‘You cannot find us. We will kill you all, one by one, and smile. Are you afraid?’

It was written in planar common, with no peculiarities of spelling or word use that might indicate a native plane or race. They were out there in the dark, likely watching the discovery, possibly even amongst those currently milling about. It was maddening.

“Do we know who they are? The dead I mean.” Doran asked, looking away from the bodies. “I recognize the one on the left. The complete one. He was one of the cooks.”

“He’s a cartographer.” Mellisan the lilland explained. “I actually talked to him two nights ago quite a bit. The dark and the wind were starting to get to him, he looked lonely, and I felt it an imperative to cheer him up. He actually had a decent singing voice. I haven’t seen him since then, but I didn’t think anything of it.”

“We have a lot of people,” Doran lamented. “If they’re not in your group that you work with each day, there’s no reason or ability to keep up.”

“This is getting obscene Doran…” Mellisan whispered in a distinctly harsher tone than her normally melodic, sing-song voice.

The elf scowled down at the corpses and didn’t look up to meet the lilland’s gaze as they burned holes into his head.

“We need to consider leaving.” Her voice was tinged softer now, and very much a whisper so as not to be overheard. “If we can’t find the person responsible for this, we have a responsibility to our colleagues and hires to keep them safe.”

“I know that!” Doran snipped back, clenching his left fist in the hem of his robe. “I’m not ready to make that call yet. We’ve faced worse things before. You remember Porphatys, and that’s what lead us here remember? We’re close to deciphering one of the largest remaining mysteries in planar languages!”

The lilland paused, clearly about to say something, but she turned away having evidently felt it better to hold her tongue. Below her waist, her serpentine body curled and twisted, reflecting ambient light in a mixture of green and golden scatters.

“You want to say something Mellisan.”

“You already know what I wanted to say.”

“Am I making a mistake here?” He asked, glancing from the bodies to the bard.

She flicked a wing and drifting closer to put a hand on his shoulder. “That’s neither my call nor my decision. But think about it closely because you’ll have to live with it.”

The lilland gave him a soft embrace and drifted off, back in the direction of the camp’s lights, there to break the news of more killings and to do her best to sooth nerves and fears in its wake.

Doran sighed and watched her leave, “Assuming that I live through it…”

***​

Much like the others before them, the bodies were preserved from decay through magical means, and when they returned to a safer plane, they’d be returned to life. That was the hope at least. Earlier attempts had failed in the same haunting way that divinations had failed.

“I don’t like this at all.” Toras grumbled. “We’re sitting here letting some twisted little prick pick people off at their leisure.”

“Then why don’t we go out and find them?” Florian asked, clenching a mail-covered fist. “Tempus sure as hell wouldn’t want me to sit here and act scared. We should be out looking or setting a trap.”

“We?” Nisha looked up at the cleric as she held Tristol’s tail like an overly fluffy scarf and tickled her nose with its tip. “I’m not so sure about this whole we thing. I’m getting spooked.”

Tristol stroked the back of her head. “Going out into the dark won’t help us find anything when it seems likely that it’s someone inside of our own camp.”

Clueless glanced out at the lights flickering inside of a dozen or more tents. “Hunting them down, I’m not so sure about. Setting a trap though…”

“You have anyone in mind?” Toras asked, with Florian and Fyrehowl looking up with interest.

“Possibly.” The bladesinger frowned. He suspected the shadowdancer, but he couldn’t prove anything yet.

“We might not have to do anything.” Tristol interjected. “I doubt that we’ll be here more than another day or two. Doran and Leobtav have made some really nice leaps in the translation of the gautish text.”

Conversation trailed off and they went their separate ways. Clueless wandered through the camp, looking for various persons and quietly asking about what they’d been up to in the past day. Toras and Florian both did the same on their own, while Tristol and Nisha wandered back to Leobtav’s tent –mostly so Nisha could play with his familiar- and Fyrehowl simply tried to relax.

Every time the lupinal closed her eyes though, she felt she was being watched and her ears would twitch as if alerted from some odd, unnatural sound in the distance. It was unnerving, and Tristol would have noticed the same thing except he hadn’t yet tried to sleep. The line of text from the Crag that they’d read, concentrated upon, and indeed been touched by, they would discover its impact in due time alongside other events swiftly building to a climax.

***​

Later that day they all tried to take their minds off of the murders and several of them took the time to study more on the gautish text that the expedition had searched for and found at great cost. Both Leobtav and Highsilver had been pouring over it, comparing their ideas, and glancing over a multitude of references in books that sprawled across both of their tents. Tentatively they were making some progress, but it was proving to be much more difficult than they originally thought.

“I’m just not sure that the original text that we copied from the tunnel is accurate.” Leobtav grimaced and tapped his fingers on the table.

Doran looked at him over a pile of books as the professor’s familiar stared out into the darkness, preoccupied and afraid. The tiny dragon still couldn’t talk more about what he might have known or seen. But he didn’t seem to want to stay in their present location.

Milling about the tent, looking out into the dark as well, or simply listening to the expedition leaders’ talk, most of the other hires had assembled, with Tristol and Clueless paying especial attention.

“How so?” Doran asked. “The text was absolutely crisp for its age. It barely seems to have suffered any erosion, and no intentional damage despite its age.”

“The letters are old, and I’m starting to think that the original tiere alphabet lacked diacritical marks.”

“I’m not sure I get where you’re going with that.” Highsilver scratched his head, while behind him, having overheard the conversation, Tristol winced at the implication.

“The text is written in gautish, but I think that it’s expressing a text that was originally composed in the tiere language. It isn’t pure, and what we’re seeing was composed at a time when the gautiere had evolved and diverged from its original form. What we have are diacritical marks on our transcript…”

“And the original didn’t.” Tristol finished his thought for him. “And what we have may have applied them in such a way to partially garble the text it was attempting to express.”

“Sh*t…” Doran slowly smacked his head into the stack of books.

“It’s going to take more time to figure this out.” The professor sighed. “Our transcript doesn’t take some of the spacing and positioning into full account, and that’s going to be needed in the next day or two.”

“I want to leave…”

“Darkness is boring…” Nisha added in.

“Honestly I think we’ll make some better headway on this once we’re back at the institute. It’s a lot more comfortable than a tent in the middle of Pandemonium.”

Ficklebarb looked up and smiled, though he was still looking under the weather.

Looking over from where he slouched against the far wall, Frollis nodded in agreement, “Best idea that I’ve heard in a damn long while.”

“We don’t want her bored.” Tristol interjected, pointing at Nisha.

Quietly, Leobtav donned a pair of pristine white gloves for no apparent reason.

“I agree.” Highsilver concurred. “About leaving, not the tiefling being bored. We’ve already accomplished everything we came here to do, and staying here just puts us unnecessarily at further risk. And we have more than one person to resurrect once we’re back. Hopefully in the next few days we can have everything wrapped up and be ready to head back.”

Without prior explanation once again Leobtav stood up and walked over to the tiefling.

“Hi!” Nisha looked up and smiled.

The professor frowned disapprovingly and held out his gloved hands.

“What?” Nisha gave a quizzical look before suddenly remembering something. “Oh, yeah, that…”

Calmly, gingerly Leobtav removed a rare volume of the 1st edition of Asterguard’s ‘Languages and Dialects of the Arcadian/Mithardiir Wastes’ from the xaositect’s hands as she produced the book from the depths of a portable hole residing on the top of her head.

“Sorry about that…”

The professor said not a word but shook his head and sighed. Ficklebarb giggled for his own part.

Frollis took a sip of whiskey and broke the silence, “What was that about, and what happens if she gets bored?”

“Nothing good happens apparently!” Leobtav answered, glaring back at the tiefling. “That was in a locked case…”

Nisha grinned. Her tanar’ri ancestors couldn’t have done a much better job.

***​

High above the crag, peering down through the darkness like a subterranean bird of prey, a gaunt and emaciated figure flapped its membranous wings and rose on a sharp updraft. One of the varrangoin, its kind were ancient when the first tanar’ri emerged to seize control of the Abyss, but in the eons since that time they now lived as exiles within their own home plane, and it, Zoragothmrrus, dwelled in exile within Pandemonium. The savage wonders of the Abyss -the original Abyss- were but a distant memory to even the legends told by the eldest of its tribe. Hissing at the thought, it gazed down at the Titan’s grave, the Pheonix’s Tomb, the Mountain of Dead Words –it had a thousand different names- and paused.

It should have turned back, the bebeliths hungered and despite his height above the towering edifice, it knew that it wasn’t safe. But something told it otherwise. Hitting a second up thrust of air it inhaled deeply, sifting through the scents of ancient dust, freshly spilt bebelith blood, wood smoke, tobacco, wine, gruel, and other, non-native smells that wafted up from the sheltered basin at the Crag’s base.

The demon-hunters were dead. All of them. New flesh claimed the Crag. Zoragothmrrus smiled and shrieked at the top of its lungs, piercing the air with a wild, ecstatic cry that went unheard except for his multitude of kin that prowled the tunnels a league distant. Their prey upon the ground heard nothing above the howling winds, and even if the winds had been silenced, their ears would never have detected it as anything but a buzzing such was its pitch. They would be oblivious till death came for them.

***​

-insert varangoin attack

***​

Zoragothmrrus bled heavily upon the stone, washing the rock with sticky, black ichor that stank of rot and copper. The celestial had deeply wounded his side, and had he not managed to take to the air and escape beyond the range of their lights, the lupinal would surely have ended his life between her teeth or her blade.

Claws dug into the stone and the arcanist varangoin screamed with rage and bruised pride as much as from the considerable pain of his wounds.

“Stupid guardinal b*itch! I will…”

Abruptly the fiend paused.

He was not alone.

There was another creature present. No, more than one, multiple creatures. He could smell them over the reek of his own blood. The most prominent was dragging another, presumably a victim of one of Zoragothmrrus’s brethren and he was breathing heavily from the burden. Providence had delivered more victims. His tribe would be avenged for their losses this day.

The varangoin twisted in place, turning towards the other and gasping with a deep wince of pain. He snarled and hissed a death curse at the outline of a single humanoid figure and the body that lay limply at his feet.

“Die mortal wrech! Die for the…”

Calmly, coldly the mortal cut him off.

“You are not one of mine,” The mortal spoke in fluent varangoin, “But you will suffice all the same.”

Zoragothmrrus paused, taken utterly aback by his would-be victim’s attitude and the very fact that he spoke his tongue, something that would never be taught to a mortal. Something was wrong. Another voice was whispering something, and then the man snarled a response back into the darkness.

“Who are you?” Zoragothmrrus clawed the ground with uncertainty, hoping to show a position of strength and hide his wounded status. “How do you know the tongue of the people of the Abyssal skies?”

The mortal looked down at the body at his feet and then back at the fiend. He smiled and the distant light sparkled in perfect circles. Again he spoke in the fiend’s tongue with perfect fluency, “My master cares neither for them, nor for you.”

Zoragothmrrus never had the chance to react as the man opened his mouth and a gout of liquid shadows erupted like a hundred knife blades, lancing into his dying form and a hundred hands cupped to receive his blood. His killer would be painting tonight with the blood of more than one victim.

***​

Shemeska

Adventurer
Another update for you. Might be a little while before another, because I have three freelance projects coming up before the end of the year. :)

Tsuga C

Adventurer
Who Dunnit?

My money is on the cleric of Thoth or one of the associate scholars, but I wouldn't wager too much. Shemeska is moving a lot of players around the board and there's power afoot that can't be linked to anyone directly...yet.

Factioneer

First Post
Hi Shemmie, long time fan here.

Dropped by to tell you that you may be interested/horrified to know that I've been writing a Planescape crossover fanfiction with My Little Pony, with you as undoubtedly my biggest formative influence on the Planescape side of things. I'm so sorry.

Remove ads