• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shillelagh

kayn99

First Post
Ok I have some questions for this spell. When weilding a quarterstaff two handed, normally the damage is 1-6 per a side. If you had the ablility to cast Shillelagh on it, would the quarter staff be dealling 2d6 a side now? Seems a little rough but I can not find anything that would disallow it.

Kayn

Ender_rpm

First Post
Never mind, my response was based on a different version of the spell :)

For clarity: Your own nonmagical club or quarterstaff becomes a weapon with a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls. (A quarterstaff gains this enhancement for both ends of the weapon.) It deals damage as if it were two size categories larger. These effects only occur when the weapon is wielded by you. If you do not wield it, the weapon behaves as if unaffected by this spell. (SRD)

Yeah, based on this ,it would do damage as a huge 1/4 staff (a 3/4 staff?) of 2d6 per end. +1 enhancement. So about as much damage as a weak fighter with a great sword.

Last edited:

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
kayn99 said:
Ok I have some questions for this spell. When weilding a quarterstaff two handed, normally the damage is 1-6 per a side. If you had the ablility to cast Shillelagh on it, would the quarter staff be dealling 2d6 a side now? Seems a little rough but I can not find anything that would disallow it.

Kayn

Yeah, that seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Here's a question: does the spell work on a great club? That would make it pretty potent (3d8 damage).

BD

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Ender_rpm said:
No, per the spell, it deals 1d10+ whatever for the end that is enchanted. A second casting would be required (IMO) to enchant both ends.

I think you have an older verison of the spell there. A weapon enchanted with shillelagh now deal damage as if it were two sizes larger.

BD

Ender_rpm

First Post
BLACKDIRGE said:
I think you have an older verison of the spell there. A weapon enchanted with shillelagh now deal damage as if it were two sizes larger.

BD

Thanks!! you beat me to it while I was re-typing :) When did this change and why?

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Ender_rpm said:
Thanks!! you beat me to it while I was re-typing :) When did this change and why?

No problem. It changed with 3.5.

I personally like it better. It's more potent, but since only the caster can wield it, there's not as much room for abuse. Hell, in my opinion, druids need a few more combat-oriented spells anyway.

BD

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ender_rpm said:
Yeah, based on this ,it would do damage as a huge 1/4 staff (a 3/4 staff?) of 2d6 per end. +1 enhancement. So about as much damage as a weak fighter with a great sword.

Weak fighter with a greatsword? It does damage as a +1 greatsword each end (though without the crit range). The "weak" part is dependant on your own character's strength. Sure seems like a great spell to me.

Now the question has always been, can you combine Shillelagh with the Spikes spell (from Complete Divine), which changes a wooden weapon to deal both piercing and bludgeoning damage, gain +2 enhancement bonus to attack, +1 damage per caster level (max +10), and doubles it's threat range (and lasts 1 hr/level).

That is the kick-butt combo. At 10th level a druid with two weapon fighting, a Shillelagh quarterstaff, and two castings of spikes, will attack for 2d6+11 damage each end, 19-20 x2 crit.. Now you just have to hit, though the +2 attack bonus will help a bit.

Last edited:

Zathraas

First Post
Blackdirge – the spell is pretty clear that is only effects “Your own nonmagical club or quarterstaff” so unfortunately it would not work on a greatclub. Still, a medium sized quarterstaff that does 2d6 as its base damage is damn good.

Mistwell – I see no reason Shillelagh wouldn’t work with Brambles or Spikes. But take note, in the Spell Compendium they nerfed Spikes to only last 1 round per level.

Cameron

First Post
Zathraas said:
Blackdirge – the spell is pretty clear that is only effects “Your own nonmagical club or quarterstaff” so unfortunately it would not work on a greatclub. Still, a medium sized quarterstaff that does 2d6 as its base damage is damn good.

Mistwell – I see no reason Shillelagh wouldn’t work with Brambles or Spikes. But take note, in the Spell Compendium they nerfed Spikes to only last 1 round per level.
The Greatclub entry in the PHB specifically states that it is the equivalent of a two-handed club... Shillalegh works, although why it is not on the Druid weapons list still eludes me.

Remove ads