D&D (2024) Weapon mastery and Shillelagh.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Assuming Weapon mastery stays as it is (playtest 6), as does Shillelagh (PHB 2014), then the Shillelagh should use the mastery effect from the base weapon: the spell specifies that the wood of the q'staff or club changes its nature; the weapon is unchanged).

This means that a Shillelagh made from a quarterstaff has no Weapon Mastery benefit (quarterstaves get Flex, which would give 1d8 damage one-handed, which is what Shillelagh gives anyways), but a Shillelagh made from a club would get Slow (-10' speed when you do damage).

So make your Shillelaghs from clubs! (or tell me where I'm mistaken).

Assuming Weapon mastery stays as it is (playtest 6), as does Shillelagh (PHB 2014), then the Shillelagh should use the mastery effect from the base weapon: the spell specifies that the wood of the q'staff or club changes its nature; the weapon is unchanged).

This means that a Shillelagh made from a quarterstaff has no Weapon Mastery benefit (quarterstaves get Flex, which would give 1d8 damage one-handed, which is what Shillelagh gives anyways), but a Shillelagh made from a club would get Slow (-10' speed when you do damage).

So make your Shillelaghs from clubs! (or tell me where I'm mistaken).
I hope flex does not survive in this variant. It is really bad, as it is a non benefit more often than not.

Horwath

Legend
I hope flex does not survive in this variant. It is really bad, as it is a non benefit more often than not.
Flex by itself is not (that)bad. Problem is that the weakest mastery is paired with weakest weapon property(versatile)

base damage of non-finesse weapons is bad as WotC in their infinite wisdom values Versatile the same as Finesse properties.
If longsword/battleax/warhammer base damage was 1d10 and flex going to 1d12, then flex would be fine.

Flex by itself is not (that)bad. Problem is that the weakest mastery is paired with weakest weapon property(versatile)

base damage of non-finesse weapons is bad as WotC in their infinite wisdom values Versatile the same as Finesse properties.
If longsword/battleax/warhammer base damage was 1d10 and flex going to 1d12, then flex would be fine.
I disagree. I see flex as a property that takes away the only intetesting thing of versatile weapons. Foghting styles already don't pair well woth versatile weapons... I don't want another choice remover.

Horwath

Legend
I disagree. I see flex as a property that takes away the only intetesting thing of versatile weapons. Foghting styles already don't pair well woth versatile weapons... I don't want another choice remover.
there is nothing interesting or valuable about versatile.
It is property that is not used in 99,9% of situations.
Might as well not being written in the PHB

there is nothing interesting or valuable about versatile.
It is property that is not used in 99,9% of situations.
Might as well not being written in the PHB
Your opinion. New grapple rules support it a bit. It lacks a fighting style however and flex takes away what is interesting about it.

Clint_L

Hero
Versatile mostly gets used by monks, allowing them to get a D8 damage from the staff or spear, which are the most common monk weapons at low levels. Ironically, since monks have no choice but to use the weapons 2-handed, they don't benefit from flex at all.

Flex is fine. Having a property that basically passes through and lets people who don't care ignore it after weapon selection is a good thing; not everyone wants the same thing.

Versatile has IME only ever been a relevant property with brawler fighters in 4e. This is because brawler fighters were sword-and-fist people who used their fists frequently to grapple, and while they weren't grappling enemies using their off-hand for extra damage was a choice that was made from round to round. (You could also use it for sword-and-bow combat where you can't draw your sword and sheathe your bow in the same turn - but archers are normally dex based and there's no dex-versatile weapon).

Remove ads