D&D (2024) Weapon mastery on non-standard weapons

So I'm wondering about people's thoughts on if weapon mastery applies (or can apply) to non-standard weapons. Particular examples:

If I use a chair leg as an improvised weapon, which the game says I can treat like a club, would I be able to use the Slow weapon mastery, assuming I'd taken club as a weapon I mastered?

If I take a stone (sling ammo) and throw it, would it be able to use the Slow weapon mastery from the sling?

What about other, less directly-analogous improvised weapons?

Is it possible to get any mastery on unarmed strikes? Maybe Sap, since there are no other weapon traits that apply to your fists?

Can you custom-build your own weapon (for example, a falchion), and if so, do you get to pick the weapon mastery trait for it?

Regardless of what you think about what the rules can allow, what do you think they should allow?

Incenjucar

Legend
Improvised weapons acting as clubs would act as clubs by any fair reading. A hurled sling bullet would have no weapon equivalent to borrow from:

"An object that bears no resemblance to a weapon deals 1d4 damage (the GM assigns a damage type appropriate to the object). If a character uses a ranged weapon to make a melee attack, or throws a melee weapon that does not have the thrown property, it also deals 1d4 damage. An improvised thrown weapon has a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet."

Custom weapons would be homebrew. Unarmed strikes are not weapons.

Swiss knife is Flex.
Throwing your beer or any liquid is Graze
Pillow would be Push
Any sharp blade aiming the eyes is Vex
Big objet that you drop on feet is Sap
Butter knife is surely Topple
Any flexible, long and light shaft you can swing easily is Cleave

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I suggested in the Fighter thread that Fighters get Weapon mastery with either Unarmed Attacks or Improved Weapons for free at level 6.

Scrappy
You are trained to make due with the ars you have at hand. You can choose to have Weapon Mastery in Unarmed Strike or Improvised Weapons. Unarmed Strike and Improvised Weapons both have the Slow weapon mastery.

HOWEVER
I'd prefer that you learn weapon mastery properties and apply them to all weapons of that Mastery Property. So you would automatically apply whatever the DM adjudicates as appropriate for free.

Remove ads