Ship to Ship Hits & Crits (Paging FRANCISCA)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Mark said:
Just figured we might as well put it together in a document that includes an OGL and section 15 with proper accreditation, at the least. That way if anyone wishes to utilize it, such as myself (and I would, but others could also), then it would be all in order and easy to do.

Sounds good to me!

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Here's mine...(crossposted from CM)

[bq]Sail Hit: Shattered Boom: Changes to speed or heading are at (-x) until repairs or jury-rig are affected.

Crew Hit: Map Room: Fire is set and will destroy the vessel's Charts in 1d6 turns unless the fire is extinguished. If the Navigator is present, he is hatched.

Cargo Hit: Improv Grapeshot-Cargo Packing (Barrels and Crates) are blasted into a cloud of shrapnel. 1d6 crew below decks are immediately hatched. If no Cargo or crew are present, re-roll for a hull hit.

Hull Hit: Smoking Fire-Apply fire Damage as normal. Also Musketeers on the damaged side (Port or Starboard) take (-x) the their shots until the fire is extinguished.[/bq]

And now I see a bunch of folks have already hit my ideas:)

Great stuff there frosted Minil337

But honestly man, you need to talk to Francisca. He has been working on something comparable for the better part of a year now.

Last edited:

Teflon Billy said:
Here's mine...(crossposted from CM)

[bq]Sail Hit: Shattered Boom: Changes to speed or heading are at (-x) until repairs or jury-rig are affected.

Crew Hit: Map Room: Fire is set and will destroy the vessel's Charts in 1d6 turns unless the fire is extinguished. If the Navigator is present, he is hatched.

Cargo Hit: Improv Grapeshot-Cargo Packing (Barrels and Crates) are blasted into a cloud of shrapnel. 1d6 crew below decks are immediately hatched. If no Cargo or crew are present, re-roll for a hull hit.

Hull Hit: Smoking Fire-Apply fire Damage as normal. Also MusketeersMARINES on the damaged side (Port or Starboard) take (-x) the their shots until the fire is extinguished.[/bq]

And now I see a bunch of folks have already hit my ideas:)

Great stuff there frosted Minil337

But honestly man, you need to talk to Francisca. He has been working on something comparable for the better part of a year now.
Fixed your terminology Billy - I'm sure there are others that wouldn't have been so nice. :)
Looks really interesting so far - how does this compare to S2S in say 7th Sea?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Thunderfoot said:
Looks really interesting so far - how does this compare to S2S in say 7th Sea?

I have absolutely no idea. I've never played 7th Sea.

Just so's I'm clear, it's not that I'm suggesting that other ship to ship combat systems put out by other folks are inferior to what I'm slapping together. My problem stemmed from the fact that all the ones I knew of were made for d20 and I'm going to be running Warhammer FRP. Furthermore, I've had some experience with the topic in general from the fairly successful set of rules that I cobbled together for my Sky Galleons of Mars games.

Seonaid

Explorer
I was curious about the 7th Sea system too. I've never played the RPG, but the CCG is tons of fun. And it has a really fun combat system (I think). I'd be interested in seeing 7th Sea RPG.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Thunderfoot said:
Fixed your terminology Billy - I'm sure there are others that wouldn't have been so nice. :)

I don't exactly live in fear of Terminology Clowns "Not being nice" to me man, but thanks all the same:)

I got the term from the only source I have any familiarity with: Pirates of the Spanish Main :)

NP -Just trying to keep things civil. ;)

Pirates of the Spanish Main actually refered to them as Musketeers? I thought that term was exclusively French and limited to ground troops. (Might be wrong about that one, anyone know for sure)
However, Western European naval infantry has always been refered to as marines (that one I do know.) Oh well, C'est La Vie. :cool:

Rel - yeah 7th Sea is d20(ish), just trying to help keep you from re-inventing the wheel that's all. I only have passing knowledge of the WH RPG system, so it was more of a could this be diced and dropped kind of thing.

FrostedMini1337

First Post
2 more for sails since they seem to be the most lacking(and to get this back to the frontpage):

Collapsed Mast- A mast is totally broke. If it is the main mast (25%) the ship moves at 1/4 it's speed, and you must determine the direction the mast falls. If it hits the opposing ship, roll a sail critical and a hull critical. If it falls to the bow, or stern, roll a hull hit on this ship. if it falls to the wash away from both ships, no other effect. If a secondary mast it knocked out (75%) reduce speed by a third. Cannot be repaired at sea.

Debris on the Deck- Some flaming rigging, a bit of the crows nest, or something large and obtrusive falls to the deck in such a way that it blocks or breaks the stairs between decks. Choose 1 set of stairs connecting the decks. The men on the higher portion may choose to try to jump down, but getting up can not be done. (Good to block off the helm and most likely the captain)

One for the Hull:
Inner Ship Entropy- The ship is in shambles. Everything has been knocked about, and you can't find crap. Due to the excessive amount of rummaging and clean-up repairs will take twice as long, and cost one and half times as much

And to elaborate on a cargo one:
Disaster!: A fell shot blocks the entrance to the cargo hold and something (Fire, Flood, Rats, Pirates themselves) are harming the cargo hold. The door must be cleared first. Takes (minimum 1) 5-crewmen assisgned rounds. Then the threat inside must be stopped. It takes 5-10(random) crewmen 5-10(random) rounds to stop it. Each round that the threat is not at least met, 1/5 of either the food, treasure, or other cargo is lost.

Edit:Fixed typos. ship is spelled a lot like :):):):), but that just shows up as a lot of smiley faces and makes me look stupid. and if your mast hits the opposing :):):):) im pretty sure their :):):):) is ruined.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Ok, gang. Here is the Hits and Crits chart in Excel. I'm going to put the whole thing together into a single document sometime this week but for now here is the preliminary crit list. If you see any corrections that need to be made then let me know.

Attachments

• Ship to Ship Hits.xls
    19 KB · Views: 62

FrostedMini1337

First Post
My only suggestion is that I'd down the number of crew damaged on any non-crew critical, or increase the damage on crew criticals. If you wanna keep it the same across the board that i can see that (speeds up combat, keeps it simple), but it seems to degrade the coolness of getting in an extra d10 losses, when I could have gotten an extra d10 losses+other effect.

Very nice though. Pleasing to read. The lingo makes me want to run a see campaign.

Remove ads