Ship to Ship Hits & Crits (Paging FRANCISCA)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
FrostedMini1337 said:
My only suggestion is that I'd down the number of crew damaged on any non-crew critical, or increase the damage on crew criticals. If you wanna keep it the same across the board that i can see that (speeds up combat, keeps it simple), but it seems to degrade the coolness of getting in an extra d10 losses, when I could have gotten an extra d10 losses+other effect.

Very nice though. Pleasing to read. The lingo makes me want to run a see campaign.

Good point. I'll go in and knock a few of those out.

Rel - The crew refusing to fight is a good idea (very period) but what about at higher "damage" quotients having them mutiny or abandon ship if the command roll isn't made, so not only do you lose their use for a period but, you lose the crew totally? Just a suggestion, great system BTW. Very gritty.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Thunderfoot said:
Rel - The crew refusing to fight is a good idea (very period) but what about at higher "damage" quotients having them mutiny or abandon ship if the command roll isn't made, so not only do you lose their use for a period but, you lose the crew totally? Just a suggestion, great system BTW. Very gritty.

I think this idea definately warrants consideration but I'm not sure I'd want to include it in the critical charts. I think I'd handle it more on an ad hoc basis, taking into consideration the crew loyalty prior to the battle and conditions on the ship in general. So that a poorly fed crew with mates who are quick with the whip is more likely to suffer a mutiny than a ship of well fed, well treated sailors.

diaglo

Adventurer
Rel said:
I think this idea definately warrants consideration but I'm not sure I'd want to include it in the critical charts. I think I'd handle it more on an ad hoc basis, taking into consideration the crew loyalty prior to the battle and conditions on the ship in general. So that a poorly fed crew with mates who are quick with the whip is more likely to suffer a mutiny than a ship of well fed, well treated sailors.

if you are gonna go this route. don't forget "reputation" of the enemy (ex. they take no prisoners... kill every last man, woman, and child... walk the plank style)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
diaglo said:
if you are gonna go this route. don't forget "reputation" of the enemy (ex. they take no prisoners... kill every last man, woman, and child... walk the plank style)

Oh most definately. I'm kind of a system guy, which is why I am going to the trouble to make a system rather than simply a series of opposed checks and skipping to the boarding action. But that doesn't mean that I won't cast aside the system at an appropriate moment and say, "With the devastating broadside that you delivered combined with the fact that your own flag clearly identifies you as the crew of Slaughtering Skalfzar, terror of the Caribbean, the merchant strikes colors without firing a shot!"

Remove ads