• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shirt of False Life - Reasonable?

Darklone

Thanee said:
5th-level False Life has a duration of 5 hours, it shouldn't be much of a problem to activate it ahead of time. ;)
Depends on the campaign style. As a caravan guard, you will run into ambushes ALL the time :D

The biggest reason and IMHO the only reason that made the shirt better than the con+2 IMC: The char already had a con +4 booster and the shirt was much cheaper than upgrading that thingy.

Next thing: The shirt was twice activated (command word) by someone else to get the unconscious fighterdude back to his feet. You couldn't do that with the amulet... sure the dude might have been in the fight longer though I doubt it in this case (4 well armed dwarven fighters moving from player to player and downing him... though they moved slow :))

STARP_JVP

First Post
Is it just me, or is "Magic Shirt" an awesome name for a rock band? Mind you, people might confuse them with Magic Dirt...

Thanee

First Post
shilsen said:
True, but at a level when you can afford such an item, you're taking hits in combat where you really can't afford to use a standard action for 1d10 + 5 pts of healing.

That's why you use it ahead of time... ;)

And it cannot (sensibly) be used inside combat, which is a balancing factor, since otherwise you would have the full ~30 hps at your disposal.

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
One thing you have to be cautious about is the number of uses per day. As was pointed out, false life at CL 5 lasts for 5 hours. Chances are high that the PC will only use it prior to an encounter and not reactivating it during an encounter (unless things are really dire). Unless you have more than 3 encounters per day then, there's should be no difference in price between 3/day and 5/day or even 20/day. The benefit for the additional multiple uses is largely irrelevant (except for a possible abuse of passing the item off, but I would require the item to still be worn for the false life to stay). So, the choice of 3/day is clearly for a price break and it's not unreasonable to push it up a little. I think double or 25K are both extreme, however. It's not that good. I think 15K is a good number.

shilsen

Adventurer
Thanee said:
That's why you use it ahead of time... ;)

And it cannot (sensibly) be used inside combat, which is a balancing factor, since otherwise you would have the full ~30 hps at your disposal.

Bye
Thanee
Your second sentence is the point I was making :)

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I think the cost is a little light.

As for the opinion that it won't be used in combat, it will. It is not much different than drinking a Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds (average 12 points) on yourself in combat and I know that happens in people's games, even at higher levels. The time to use it in combat is on those rounds where you are not doing something very proactive (like moving to the other side of a room to get behind cover or moving to get close to the Cleric to heal you). Plus, it will be used before combat a lot.

It seems to be about on par with an Amulet of Health +4. In a direct comparison, more hit points per day which do not have to be healed at the level you could afford 16,000 GP, but no add to the Fort Save. Pros and Cons.

I think 15K or 16K is about right.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads