• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should a NPC cleric heal himself?

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
In our game yesterday the party fought an undead cleric. I wanted to make it more of a challange. The cleric had an inflict serious wounds spell. I used it to heal the cleric. I heard groans from most of the people at the table. One went as far to say that it was against "the GM code of ethics" (which I never heard of) for a cleric to heal himself like that. Another arguement he had was it prolongs the battle.

My defense is 1. This was the BBEG. It should have been a big battle with lots of effort and drama. 2. Why shouldn't an intellegent being use what they had available? 3. PC's are allowed to do it to prolong a battle.

I try to make it a challenge for them.

Crothian

First Post
Of course he should heal himself. And there is no GM code of ethics, you're players are just wanting to make the battle easier for them.

That's so completely inbounds as far as acceptable DM behavior it shouldn't even have to be discussed.

Sheesh, what's next? Oh, he shouldn't wear armor, that just prolongs the fight?

Mercule

Adventurer
Absolutely, the cleric should heal himself or anyone else who needs it. Saying otherwise is like saying he shouldn't wear armor because it might prolong the fight. It's that open and shut, IMO.

One of my biggest peeves with modules is evil clerics statted as having "Inflict X Wounds" prepared. I always assume they are "Cure X Wounds" spells that some non-gamer editor screwed up, because no one who actually understands 3E rules is going to do that.

The cleric can swap anything else out for those spells. Unless the cleric is a complete idiot, and the module wants to emphasize that, he's not going to be wasting a slot preparing what's otherwise a freebie.

Anyway, like I said, I always assume "Inflict" spells listed on an evil cleric are actually "Cure" spells. And I use them that way.

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
Aeson said:
In our game yesterday the party fought an undead cleric. I wanted to make it more of a challange. The cleric had an inflict serious wounds spell. I used it to heal the cleric. I heard groans from most of the people at the table. One went as far to say that it was against "the GM code of ethics" (which I never heard of) for a cleric to heal himself like that. Another arguement he had was it prolongs the battle.

My defense is 1. This was the BBEG. It should have been a big battle with lots of effort and drama. 2. Why shouldn't an intellegent being use what they had available? 3. PC's are allowed to do it to prolong a battle.

I try to make it a challenge for them.

Hmm...I think it was against the code of ethics for you to give him legs. Mobility just extends the duration of the fight. I can see why you did it though; without legs he would probably count as a Small creature, getting a +1 to AC and to hit, which would obviously unbalance the encounter.

Whadda bunch o' sissies. Tell 'em next time they whine you'll break out the Arduin crit tables.

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
SpiderMonkey said:
Hmm...I think it was against the code of ethics for you to give him legs. Mobility just extends the duration of the fight. I can see why you did it though; without legs he would probably count as a Small creature, getting a +1 to AC and to hit, which would obviously unbalance the encounter.

Whadda bunch o' sissies. Tell 'em next time they whine you'll break out the Arduin crit tables.
They did complain about the 21 AC. If he was small I think they would have mutinied.

I know there is no code of ethics and I believe he knows this also. I think it was an attempt at a joke. He often gets the game confused with Hackmaster. Which I think is the game he prefers and want to turn my game into. Alas he is a friend and a solid gamer. I enjoy having him there thus I put up with his twisted veiw of rules and then over rule them. I wont get started on how he sees being neutral allows him to get away with anything.

Scribble

First Post
SpiderMonkey said:

I'm picturing a slug on the floor gurgling "please take my treasure o might adventurers... gurgly gurgle..."

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
Aeson said:
They did complain about the 21 AC. If he was small I think they would have mutinied.

I know there is no code of ethics and I believe he knows this also. I think it was an attempt at a joke. He often gets the game confused with Hackmaster. Which I think is the game he prefers and want to turn my game into. Alas he is a friend and a solid gamer. I enjoy having him there thus I put up with his twisted veiw of rules and then over rule them. I wont get started on how he sees being neutral allows him to get away with anything.

Hmm... sounds like a lot of the garbage I had to put with in high school, except change "neutral" to "chaotic neutral" and you get the gist of it.

Agent Oracle

First Post
He's a freaking Cleric! and an undead! It's part of the BBEG package!

also, what kind of pansies complain about a 21 AC? it just means you get to loot his plate mail when the encounter is over!

Though, running clerics is always a bit messy. The first time my party encountered a cleric (that was CR appropriate) almost ended in a TPK, but that was largely due to an impulsive barbarian trying to cleave a heavy, iron-bound oak door (and failing).

The moral from that encounter is: When the paladin detects evil on the other side of a door, take your time and explore all options before knocking.

Incidentally, that cleric was unarmored... (Okay, she was mostly sky clad, but her gauzy vestments should count for something), as was her (male) lieutenant (he was bare-ass nekkid for a ritual). And her (mixed-gender) cultist minions weren't wearing a stitch either (undergoing same ritual) But she did heal and inflict, and the campaign really came down to one last player standing, dueling against the sorceress, both in the single digit hit points, her attempting to hit him with a "cause light wounds" spell and missing, him trying to smite her and missing...

Remove ads