• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Should i bother with magic initiate feat?

Bennett

First Post
At 4th level i was thinking of taking green flame blade, eldritch blast and i guess hex with M.initiate feat. My question is should i bother with damage cantrips?. At low levels i am sure will be useful, but as i increase in levels will they become pretty useless, as i will be using high level spells most of the time, And wasting the feat in the process. I am a lore bard

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Well if it's a damage cantrip you want it to be one that scales up with level, and I believe that EB is one of those. Although it could be a nice alternative for a melee fighter to be chucking javelins.

The feat is a great way to add flavor to a character btw - it's not the "most powerful" but so what? So think about that angle too... Have fun!

Doesn't MI only allow you to cast cantrips at their base level, with no scaling, unless you have the requisite levels in the class for which you choose MI?

In other words as a bard, choosing Warlock MI, you won't gain any levels in Warlock sufficient to scale EB.

This seems to make sense, as MI is a dabble rather than a study - and for a Warlock MI, that dabble is really a brush with madness.

If this is the case, as I believe it to be, then EB is a nice cantrip (1d10 is pretty nice), and is suitably Warlocky. I'd be tempted to add Chill Touch (to stop those pesky regenerating monsters), and pair it with Unseen Servant, with whom your character conducts very involved (and to bystanders, one sided and very odd) conversations.

Dausuul

Legend
At 4th level i was thinking of taking green flame blade, eldritch blast and i guess hex with M.initiate feat. My question is should i bother with damage cantrips?. At low levels i am sure will be useful, but as i increase in levels will they become pretty useless, as i will be using high level spells most of the time, And wasting the feat in the process. I am a lore bard

Don't. In two levels you'll get Additional Magical Secrets; if you really want, you can grab greenflame blade or eldritch blast then. There are way better things to use a feat on.

Dausuul

Legend
Doesn't MI only allow you to cast cantrips at their base level, with no scaling, unless you have the requisite levels in the class for which you choose MI?
Cantrip damage scales with your character level, not your class level. If a 19th-level fighter gets MI and eldritch blast, it will deal 4d10 damage.

FarBeyondC

Explorer

Since cantrips (at least those two) scale with character level, they should remain useful throughout.

MI allows you to cast cantrips as normal. The 1st level spell gained through the feat is what's limited to its lowest level casting for the 1/day use.

Don't. In two levels you'll get Additional Magical Secrets; if you really want, you can grab greenflame blade or eldritch blast then. There are way better things to use a feat on.

Using Additional Magical Secrets for cantrips is a much greater waste, in my opinion.

Valetudo

Adventurer
Magic initiate isgreat for help building concept, but is a fairly weak feat overall. One houserule I did was let the spell go in your spells known list.

Remove ads