D&D 5E Should magic items stay out of the next PHB?

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I feel that magic items should stay out of the PHB. I never liked the way 4th edition did it because magic items became too common knowledge. I have always felt that magic items should be handled by the DM because he/she can allow or no allow certain magic items if that is how hie/her campaign is going to go.

hafrogman

Adventurer
I guess I never felt that it made a difference. I've never played in any game of any edition where the DMG wasn't owned and frequently perused by players who either sometimes DM'd or simply owned it for the magical items.

*shrug* I definitely want them to more optional in DDN, rather than included in the core mathematical assumptions, but which book they're in is more a matter of space restrictions to me.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Practically speaking, in the PHB-DMG-MM model, it is important to have magic items in the DMG simply for space reasons. But to be more philosophical, it does also push them away from being an assumed resource, and suggests them as a DM tool, which is a good thing.

The 3e DMG also had the Leadership feat and prestige classes. Frankly, I'd be happy if they threw a few spells in there too. Wouldn't it change the mentality of the game if Raise Dead were in the DMG? Gate? Maybe the whole variety of "ritual"-type spells?

hanez

First Post
I feel that magic items are for the DM to make, select, generate randomly, place, and hand out according to his/her infinite wisdom.

If I want to put Elrics Stormbringer in my players hand, I don't want them to know I took it from page 77, I also don't want them to know its a bit overpowered compared to the other items at their level. I just want them to know the item as I have described it, and how they have imagined it. Sometimes I hand out an item that will get more powerful in 5 levels, but players are too turned off to realize my hints because they assume its the exact item in the PHB and nothing more.

However I do appreciate tools to help me bring items into the players realm. Some of my campaigns have "magic item stores" where players can sell and purchase magical items. I haven't decided yet if I like this feature in my games, it has some positives but also some negatives. When I am playing with magic item shops in my worlds I like handing out short lists so players might know what is available and in their price range.

Having info about magic items in the DMs guides, setting guides and other modules would be best for my games.

BobTheNob

First Post
Yea.

To me, loot is part of the reward structure that filters from adventure to player. Its a gift for success and participation, not an expectation. Once its in the players handbook, its starts coming across as an entitlement.

My personnel preference = Keep it out of the players handbook.

S

Sunseeker

I believe some basic magic items should be in the PHB, such as flaming weapons, or holy weapons. I mean anyone playing a paladin things to themselves at character creation "Man, I'd love to have a holy weapon!" That and things like flaming weapons are pretty much staples of the genre.

The cat's out of the bag guys, trying to put it back in just isn't going to happen. Anyone who's played before will know there are magic items regardless of what book they're in, and anyone with an internet connection be be able to look up a list.

If the DM wants to restrict what magic items are available, the DM always has that power.

It is however nice to know what types of items my players would like to have to better enhance their character concepts. Then I can work in unique and interesting ways for them to acquire these.

As for random loot, well, most of my random loot consists of:
money
rope
junk
small trinkets
items the enemy used that were not destroyed in the fight.

So generally speaking, my players only find random loot in chests or treasure rooms, after serious encounters/adventures, so I feel it's OK to give them what they want/need rather than throw random things at them.

drothgery

First Post
Given that magic items are used by player characters, not by monsters (normally), they should be in books that players are supposed to have. At least, barring a radical shift in D&D to make magic items far less common than any edition of D&D has ever assumed (outside of Dark Sun). I guess if WotC wants to sell more DMGs to people who rarely DM, putting magic items in the DMG is a good idea, but I can't see how it improves the game.

CM

Adventurer
To me personally, it doesn't matter. In 3e and 4e where a certain amount of magic equipment is assumed, it makes sense to have them in the PHB. If 5e is returning to 1e or 2e levels of magic items, either is acceptable to me. My players would just continue browsing DDI for them rather than the PHB so it's a moot point from a book sales perspective (in my group at least).

Artifacts of course should continue to remain in the DMG.

Side note: I'd be happy if 5e were to take 4e's magic item system and make every item equivalent in power to a rare item and greatly reduce the assumed number of items owned per character. I'd like to see epic-level characters own perhaps 6-8 items rather than 15-20.

Elf Witch

First Post
I have never thought magic items belong in the PHB. The DM is the one who gets to decide what magic items are in the game not the players.

Putting them in the PHB seems to shift that power away from the DM and into the hands of the players. To me it gives the impression that they players tell the DM I am this level so I am buying this item.

CM

Adventurer
From the perspective that items should be in the DMG because the DM decides whether or not to allow them, isn't the same also true of races, classes, spells, feats, prestige classes, etc., etc.?

Magic items are just another game element primarily used by players as opposed to DMs.

Remove ads