D&D 5E Should magic items stay out of the next PHB?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
IME, Typically, about 4:1 overall, and for any given game system, closer to 6:1. And then, IME, about 1 in 5 GM's does so only because they can't find a game to play in, and when they do, quit GMing as long as they do. And only about 1 in 5 GM's prefers to GM over being just a player.
And on top of all that you then have to knock out of the calculation those DMs who, while they are quite willing to run a game and think they are more than capable of it, are simply incompetent or worse; bad enough that nobody will play in their game.

I find here there seem to consistently be enough potential players that we-as-DMs can to some extent choose who we'll invite in; which is nice, as my experience over the years includes some pretty grim players who I'd rather not have back. Flip side is not so great; that being there's lots of people out there who would like to play and probably be lots of fun to have in a game but who don't have a DM and aren't confident in doing it themselves.

Lan-"and I'm not convinced organized FLGS play is the long-term answer; gaming with friends beats gaming with strangers almost every time"-efan

aramis erak

Legend
Lanefan, Organized Play is a far sight better than No Play.

And, in fact, it's a great test in both directions. Players can find other players they get along with. Would-be DM's can see how people play.

As it is, there are 7 DM's who are routinely at Encounters at my FLGS; 1 works for the store, and then 4 others are the store's assigned DM's for the program. Table size varies, but averages 6 per table. It's definitely filling a need. (In my case, that need is a fresh group of players.) Of the repeating 7 players, there is only one I'd not invite to a private game in public space... and that's because he tends to read during the game, a pet peeve of mine. Still, he's not a bad player.

And, for old hands like me, it's definitely a chance to showcase a different style of play from the other DM's.

Remove ads