D&D 5E Should magic items stay out of the next PHB?

Hussar

Legend
Sure. Some. But I've very rarely played in a group with only one DM. Surely someone else in your group has DM'd at some point.

Unless I'm teaching the game to new players, I've almost always been in groups with multiple DM's.

aramis erak

Legend
This is so not my experience. Minority? Sure I'll buy that. But that much? Guess I've just been lucky.

IME, Typically, about 4:1 overall, and for any given game system, closer to 6:1. And then, IME, about 1 in 5 GM's does so only because they can't find a game to play in, and when they do, quit GMing as long as they do. And only about 1 in 5 GM's prefers to GM over being just a player.

I'll note that of my "player only" types, most of them do not go posting on gaming sites.

Hereticus

First Post
The DMG is considered to be a core book, meaning that every player is expected to get one. I like the idea of only having character creation information in the PHB, such as info on stats, races, classes, backgrounds, skills, feats, equipment and spells. All monsters should be in one of the MMs, not the PHB or DMG. The DMG should contain info on running the game, like the sections on adventuring and combat. And yes, magic items.

Regarding magic items, I'd be happy to see all pluses on magic items go away, as well as all stat increases. magic items would only produce magical effects. If magic was real, you'd probably see a lot more cursed items, or items with both helpful effects along with curses. And lastly, I would allow characters to attune to one magic item per proficiency bonus point.

Hussar

Legend
Hereticus - I like the idea of magic items only producing effects. I'm not sure about outright curses, but, maybe side effects could be a better thing. Singing swords are much cooler than just a +1 sword or even a song that delivers some sort of effect. Maybe a table similar to the "Found Items" in the PHB for random side effects for magic items. I recall similar tables in 2e - I think in Dragon Magazine and reprinted in the Encyclopedia Magica. That sort of thing.

Hereticus

First Post
Regarding magic items, I'd be happy to see all pluses on magic items go away, as well as all stat increases. magic items would only produce magical effects. If magic was real, you'd probably see a lot more cursed items, or items with both helpful effects along with curses. And lastly, I would allow characters to attune to one magic item per proficiency bonus point.

Hereticus - I like the idea of magic items only producing effects. I'm not sure about outright curses, but, maybe side effects could be a better thing. Singing swords are much cooler than just a +1 sword or even a song that delivers some sort of effect. Maybe a table similar to the "Found Items" in the PHB for random side effects for magic items. I recall similar tables in 2e - I think in Dragon Magazine and reprinted in the Encyclopedia Magica. That sort of thing.

If I was to create a magic item for myself or an ally, I would consider placing a curse on it that would not be much of a detriment for the intended user, but would be a real detriment to an enemy. Additionally, a curse would make items a bit less powerful. I would not curse all of them, maybe about 10% to 20%, mostly the better ones.

S

Sunseeker

I have to agree. People willing to actually run a game are far in the minority compared to players.

Even if people don't DM, I know a number of people who read the DMG or MM, even if they don't own it to read up on creatures 'cause they're cool or some of the gameplay details the DMG provides over the PHB.

S

Sunseeker

That depends on venue. A not insignificant number of us are running as part of organized play. We don't have control over
  1. What books are allowed
  2. What classes are allowed
  3. What backgrounds are allowed
  4. Which stat generation methods are allowed.
  5. rolled or fixed stat generation

Those of us running organized play have to run with the PHB and DMG rules only, but have to allow all legal classes and races therein, and the backgrounds in that and the season book.
We have to use all the standard rules.

Yes, we agreed to that when we agreed to run Organized play... but it's not true that the DM is always the final say, because Organized play is different from at-home play.

Organized play is as you say, something different. You're not really playing YOUR game and YOUR rules don't apply. In this case, you're not even really the DM.

Remove ads