Should Ryan Gosling Play Drizzt in future tv or movies?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
OK, let's just skip the blockbuster thing and take this idea straight to Bollywood. This needs a musical number or 10.

RRR- The Drizzt Story. I'd watch.

That said, I think that most people are dancing around the issue. In 2008, Tropic Thunder parodied the concept of miscasting in Hollywood by using Robert Downey Jr. in blackface.

Fifteen years later, the topic is so radioactive that there are people that criticize the film for doing this, even when it was critiquing (satirizing) the practice. Look, there is an episode of Community (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons) that was removed from streaming services because one of the characters dressed up as a Drow. So it's not like this would be an unexpected controversy ... and again, that was in an episode that was critiquing the practice.

The idea that Ryan Gosling (??!!??) would want to star as a Drow, given the baggage inherent in that, or that WoTC or any Hollywood studio, would knowingly step on that landmine, is simply crazy.

Ryan Gosling can play whoever he wants, frankly, but I don't see him as Driz'zt. Driz'zt is a bit of a loner, and not necessarily thwt charming.
For a more brooding performance, his role in Blade Runner 2049 springs to mind. Apparently, he also has been studying Muay Thai for years, so in theory he could pull off the fighting. However...

RRR- The Drizzt Story. I'd watch.

That said, I think that most people are dancing around the issue. In 2008, Tropic Thunder parodied the concept of miscasting in Hollywood by using Robert Downey Jr. in blackface.

Fifteen years later, the topic is so radioactive that there are people that criticize the film for doing this, even when it was critiquing (satirizing) the practice. Look, there is an episode of Community (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons) that was removed from streaming services because one of the characters dressed up as a Drow. So it's not like this would be an unexpected controversy ... and again, that was in an episode that was critiquing the practice.

The idea that Ryan Gosling (??!!??) would want to star as a Drow, given the baggage inherent in that, or that WoTC or any Hollywood studio, would knowingly step on that landmine, is simply crazy.

Ultimately, this. The drow are a nigh impossible creation to thread the needle in live action casting. Wizards has done some work towards eliminating the issues in the game world, but bringing them to the big screen inevitably runs into decades of problematic tropes.

Last edited:

Remove ads