Should Ryan Gosling Play Drizzt in future tv or movies?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I have literally never thought about this before, but yeah... if you make Drizzt purple enough, Ryan Gosling would likely be near the top of my list. Chris Evans, Michael B Jordan. Tom Holland. You need someone with range for Drizzt, but you also need someone who can turn it on and off very quickly; John Barrowman would be perfect but he's too old for Drizzt, and now I'm going to be obsessed with seeing him as a live-action Jarlaxle until he's too old for that.

Another consideration is that you probably want shorter/slighter actors to play male drow, because it makes it easier to cast women who are larger than them to play female drow.

I have literally never thought about this before, but yeah... if you make Drizzt purple enough, Ryan Gosling would likely be near the top of my list.
Making Drizzt purple is still whitewashing. The character was originally written as black. So you still need to cast a black actor, even if you put them in purple makeup. And we know that would cause the horribly racist Drizzt fanbase to throw their toys out the pram.

But what you do not want in a D&D project is expensive actors. That was HAT's problem. It was good, but it was far too expensive for what it was. When you cast big-name actors the name is what you are paying for. There are lots of actors who are equally talented but less well known, and hence far more reasonably priced.
This would be harder than you think. the vast majority of big-name male American actors are over 6 foot. Because that is the beauty standard they are gauged by. You are basically left with Danny DeVito.

Last edited:

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Making Drizzt purple is still whitewashing. The character was originally written as black.

Uhm... no? He was originally written as an elf, of a species and an ethnicity that has never existed on Earth that has cosmetic features-- eyes, hair, and skin colors among others-- that have never existed singly or in combination in any human population or human being that has ever existed on Earth.

Drow are not African, they have never been African, and the one time they were portrayed as even resembling humans of African descent was an egregious error on the part of the artist.

This would be harder than you think. the vast majority of big-name male American actors are over 6 foot. Because that is the beauty standard they are gauged by. You are basically left with Danny DeVito.

There are several actors on this list I think would actually be good picks.

Uhm... no? He was originally written as an elf, of a species and an ethnicity that has never existed on Earth that has cosmetic features-- eyes, hair, and skin colors among others-- that have never existed singly or in combination in any human population or human being that has ever existed on Earth.

Drow are not African, they have never been African, and the one time they were portrayed as even resembling humans of African descent was an egregious error on the part of the artist.
You miss the point. It's the label that matters, not the detail. "Elf" is irrelevant. They don't exist. "African" is both irrelevant and offensive, since it implies that a black person is not British or American. It says in the book that Drizzt's skin is black, ergo to cast a non-black actor is whitewashing and would be met with with an outcry. You cannot logic it away.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
You miss the point. It's the label that matters, not the detail. "Elf" is irrelevant. They don't exist. "African" is both irrelevant and offensive, since it implies that a black person is not British or American. It says in the book that Drizzt's skin is black, ergo to cast a non-black actor is whitewashing and would be met with with an outcry. You cannot logic it away.

if you cast an Indian actor then you get the benefit of being both black and caucasian :)
and more elf-like too

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
if you cast an Indian actor then you get the benefit of being both black and caucasian :)
and more elf-like too
Happy Excuse Me GIF

Remove ads