• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shout out for Stranger Than Fiction

Jakar

First Post
Hey there guys and gals and all in between.

I watched this flick on DvD last night with the other half and found it to be one of the best movies I have seen in years.

The use of graphics was amazing and, I really do not believe I am saying this, but I think Mr Ferrell should have been up for more awards for his role in this movie.

The subtleness of this flick will not be for all people, but I for one would whole-heartedly say it is a must see.

It also had one of the best first lines in a movie: "This is a story about a man named Harold Crick and his wristwatch."

What did other people think of this one?

Last edited:

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Thanks for reminding me! This sounded really interesting when it came out, but I didn't get to the theatre to see it. I'll have to rent it to check it out.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I finally saw this one myself, and I heartily agree. I don't like Will Ferrell in most of hi smovies (running around half naked), but in the ones where he actually gets to do something more than just be a chump, I've really enjoyed him (Stranger than Fiction and Ballad of Ricky Bobby- yes, I realize he was pretty much just a chump there, but not his usual shtick, there was actually a good story).

Anyway- agreed. Liked the story- it went a different direction from the trailer, which was a nice surprise (usually they give everything away in them). The graphics were a really nice and interesting addition as well.

Fast Learner

First Post
Fantastic film, saw it for the first time myself just a few days ago. I agree that it's full of subtlety, some really awesome messages. It had some of the messages of The Truman Show, but many others besides. Truly great philosophical/spiritual cinema, with plenty of comedy and entertaining plot for those who couldn't care less about philosophy or spirituality.

I was really suprised by how good this movie was. I am generally no too fond of Will Ferrell's movies, and I was drug to the thing (in theatres) against my will. That was a solid two strikes against the movie strait away.

Emma Thompson's opening line wiped those two strikes out like they'd never existed, and Will Ferrell's relatively understated performance really made me look at him in a new light. And, of course, you really can't go wrong with Dustin Hoffman in any flick.

Good stuff, all around.

Later
silver

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads