Siege in the Stonespike Mountains (Boddynock Judging)

Patlin

Explorer
The party heads down over rough terrain, eventually reaching the base of the rocky spire onwhich the fortress sits. Nearby, a cliff leads up toward the base of the main escarpment, where a large army of lizardfolk, kobolds, and allied creatures hold the fortress in siege. The remains of a broken bridge, apparently destroyed by the fortresses defenders, lies scattered between the two.

The climb looks almost (but not completely) impossible.

Patlin

Explorer
Original Briefing, for your convenience:

"The fortress is built high in the Stonespike mountains, and the road leading too it crosses a chasm seperating the fortress from the open ground. In times of trouble, the bridge can be sabotaged, making aproach difficult especially as the fortress is defended by archers who can harass workers on both sides of the chasm. Over the chasm, an outer wall conceals a small area where wagons can be unloaded, but the fortress proper is high above that area. Goods are normally brought inside via a pulley and counterweight system, while people are forced to climb a series of intentionally awkward stone steps. All the while, attackers would be subject to attack by the archers, as well as boiling oil which can be dropped upon the steps, making them slippery as well as scorching anyone so unlucky as to be on the steps at the time."

"As I believe I mentioned, the fortress is also warded magically. There is some sort of Forbidance effect which makes teleporting into or with the fortress problematic, and there are traps surrounding the fortress designed to disenchant those relying on magic to fly into the fortress. Since the drop is a bit extreme, these anti-magic traps can be quite lethal."

"Finally, the fortress is built to amplify any active magical defenses that the defenders might have access to. From deep within the fortress, a skilled user of magic, regardless of type, can effect the fortress as a whole, its inhabitants, and even the besiegers. I'm told, for example, that a priest of Sela was able to repair the damage caused by an extensive bombardment by casting a very simple spell from within the control room. I believe that the only spellcaster on the premises at this time is a wizard of minor talents, but should the defenders consider you hostile he might attack you as you aproached without exposing himself at all."

"One of my concerns is that the Fortress was not as well stocked with food as it should have been. It might be wise to either bring food and water, or to have available spells that summon such."

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: male human cleric 6/ranger 2

Charlarn looks at the besieging army. "I'd like to wait until dark to try to get past them. But that will make it hard to climb to the fortress. We also have to signal the defenders that we're on our way some how."

Patlin

Explorer
Looking around at the scenery, it occurs to Charlarn that he could keep the fortress (and the giant tower of rock it sits on) between himself and the enemy army, excepting of course any patrols the army sends out. By now, the Harpies have presumably reported back to their handlers.

SlagMortar

First Post
Back in time to talking about the silence spell: "Yeah, who would have ever thought my biggest contribution would be silence!"

Forward again to present: "Good idea, Charlarn. We should find some good cover in case a patrol happens by. Zaeryl, maybe we could send a note with one of your flying creatures? It probably wouldn't survive all the way into the fortress, but it might be able to drop a note down to the defenders."

Steve Jung

Explorer

Looking around at the scenery, it occurs to Charlarn that he could keep the fortress (and the giant tower of rock it sits on) between himself and the enemy army, excepting of course any patrols the army sends out.
"We can sneak around the back using the fortress to hide us. The fortress is protected from flying people, so I won't do that yet. But keep it in mind if things change. Zaeryl, if you don't think one of your constructs can maek it into there, maybe we can shoot an arrow with a note tied to it."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"It would be unlikely for a construct to make it all the way up the cliff in a minute or so. However, if necessary, we can prepare a...spell to allow us to fly. It would be more efficient if the clerics prayed for Air Walk, however."

(OOC: Hmm, I may want to spend 10 GM credits to get Zaeryl his next level. But I guess I won't yet since I heard the char judges are having trouble keeping up, and I don't want to slow us down)

Patlin

Explorer
(OOC: Hmm, I may want to spend 10 GM credits to get Zaeryl his next level. But I guess I won't yet since I heard the char judges are having trouble keeping up, and I don't want to slow us down)

ooc: Generally speaking, I prefer to keep the level range amongst the party as narrow as possible. Since Zaeryl is tied for highest level PC even without the DM credits, I'd ask you not to spend the DM credits during the adventure.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Sure--it was mainly since XP in PbP is usually pretty slow and Z has an unusually low amount of protective gear, so I was afraid being stuck at 60ish% of a level would be dangerous)

Steve Jung

Explorer

"It would be unlikely for a construct to make it all the way up the cliff in a minute or so. However, if necessary, we can prepare a...spell to allow us to fly. It would be more efficient if the clerics prayed for Air Walk, however."
"Aye. I can fly by praying to the Searcher. But I don't know how close we can get before the fortress's defenses dispel the magic."

Remove ads