• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sigh ... more anti-D&D nonsense

ZuulMoG

First Post
Doc_Klueless said:
Darn tootin'. I'd kill (well, maybe just maim) for a basement to play in and I'm 38 yo now.
One of my buddies from my D&D group (since most of us were kids) has gotten married, bought ahouse, and gotten the ok from his spouse to turn the unfinished basement into a D&D gaming room.

drothgery

First Post
Threedub said:
The only thing that ticks me off is that all D&D players are assumed to have lived with parents who had basements. No one I knew in high school had a basement, we had to play in a friend's garage!

My parents had a basement (and still do, though it's a different one these days), but I starting gaming seriously in college; I've never played D&D in anyone's basement...

Oryan77

Adventurer
Originally Posted by Oryan77
What's really funny is that D&D is huge in prisons.

VirgilCaine said:
Dude. What? Where did you find this out?

I played a modern game with a guy who just served 3 years in prison here in my area (I think he served in San Quentin, but I could be wrong). He seemed like a cool guy who just made a really dumb mistake in life (burglary I think it was). He never played rpgs before he went to prison and he said D&D is really popular in there. Apparently guys play D&D in all the prisons according to him. He liked it so much he was looking for games when he got out and joined my friends for 1 session. It surprised me, but what better way to pass the time behind bars? They get books for free so I suppose they get free gaming books in their library also.

pogre

Legend
Conversely, I have had a lot of cops play in my games over the years. Men on both sides of the thin blue line seem to dig the game.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Oryan77 said:
I played a modern game with a guy who just served 3 years in prison here in my area (I think he served in San Quentin, but I could be wrong). He seemed like a cool guy who just made a really dumb mistake in life (burglary I think it was). He never played rpgs before he went to prison and he said D&D is really popular in there. Apparently guys play D&D in all the prisons according to him. He liked it so much he was looking for games when he got out and joined my friends for 1 session. It surprised me, but what better way to pass the time behind bars? They get books for free so I suppose they get free gaming books in their library also.

Interesting. Prisons. The military. Police.

Well, if I ever get behind bars, drafted, or beaten up/arrested/extorted...err...ticketed, I can crack D&D jokes and see who laughs.

Xombie Master

First Post
What's really funny is that D&D is huge in prisons.

Actually not to get too off track. I had a conversation with a guy who used d6s (monopoly dice) and ran DnD without books, while he was locked up. He was explaining how he changed the rolling conventions to deal with the single die type. Basically it sounded rather GURPSy to me. Pretty funny though.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Another good thing about guys playing D&D in prisons is that if one of us ever gets locked up, we stand a chance of not becoming some guys girlfriend. I'm thinking DM's might be treated with the same respect as gang leaders in prison. "Thanks for the Holy Sword Oryan, I've always got your back while you're locked up in here".

Remove ads