[Sigh] Retiring from RPGs. Here's why.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Why are you guys trying to talk him out of his decision? I mean if he really is burned out, persuading him to try it despite those feelings seems like a sure way to get him to toss his books in the trash and burn-out even longer on the whole concept. Let the man step away!

librarius_arcana

First Post
I think you need to take a complete break away from any RPG for six months to a year, You are going to need a fresh perspective before you can play again,
and if you keep trying in the mean time chances are you will make it feel worse,

Just have a break

librarius_arcana

First Post
Mistwell said:
Why are you guys trying to talk him out of his decision? I mean if he really is burned out, persuading him to try it despite those feelings seems like a sure way to get him to toss his books in the trash and burn-out even longer on the whole concept. Let the man step away!

Great minds....... ;)

buzz

Adventurer
der_kluge said:
I just don't understand this notion that "spending too long preparing adventures" is automatically solved by switching to Castles and Crusades?

Like, playing C&C automatically absolves one of the necessity to actually prepare a game to run on a weekly basis?
This is why I suggested InSpectres and the like. There's literally no prep nvolved, and narrative control is spread around the table pretty liberally, so entertaining the group isn't falling solely on the shoulders of the GM. Heck, some of the games I mentioned don't even have a GM.

buzz

Adventurer
Mistwell said:
I understand this position, but remember, BioHazard posted his decision in a public forum. Either he wants to make a statement, or he's willing to accept some input on his decision. Either way, commentary shouldn't be unexpected.

His somber tone makes me believe that he still likes RPGs as a concept, but is unhappy with his recent games. Ergo, offering ideas about how to RPG in very different ways seem logical. It may be that he's burned out on one way of RPG'ing, not RPGs period.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
buzz said:
I understand this position, but remember, BioHazard posted his decision in a public forum. Either he wants to make a statement, or he's willing to accept some input on his decision. Either way, commentary shouldn't be unexpected.

His somber tone makes me believe that he still likes RPGs as a concept, but is unhappy with his recent games. Ergo, offering ideas about how to RPG in very different ways seem logical. It may be that he's burned out on one way of RPG'ing, not RPGs period.

I didn't say commentary is unexpected. I asked why people think it's wise to try and talk him out of his decision.

"Anyway, I bid you all farewell. And maybe one day we'll meet again for a session of Star Munchkin. " That seems to say what his motives are about. He isn't asking for your commentary to suggest different ways to deal with his burn-out. Why the apparent vested interest in talking him out of his decision?

danzig138

Explorer
Mistwell said:
I didn't say commentary is unexpected. I asked why people think it's wise to try and talk him out of his decision.
Because people like to try and help other people sometimes? Especialyl when it comes to giving advice. Why is it a bug on your butt if they do? I seriously doubt suggestions on ways to alter his gaming patterns are going to make him run screaming to the trash bin with his books, a zippo, and some lighter fluid. If he's made his decision, then he's made his decision, and the good intentions expressed in this thread are just that. However, it's entirely possible he could see a post in here that hits a part of his brain and goes, "Shucks, that could be an interesting alternative, maybe I should look into it." They're not hurting anything by trying.

Heck, I'm just grateful that we haven't seen a "Don't let the door hit you on the. . ." post yet - or did I miss one?

Remove ads