• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Significance of Rule Changes in Editions

Hereticus

First Post
I could be wrong, and I often am. I believe that the change from 3.5E to 4.0E was the biggest change, and others say the change from 2.0E to 3.0 (or 3.5E) were bigger. I would like to use this thread as a civil, fact based discussion of rule changes from any edition to the next edition, and how significant they were. And if I am shown to be wrong, I will admit it.

Forked from this discussion:

While going from 2.0E to 3.0E may have been the biggest change to date, going from 3.5E to 4.0E, IMVHO, has been a bigger change.

Attribute Stats: The core stats had stayed the same through the editions. There have been some improvements in 3.0E like keeping all the bonus numbers the same. But that is an insignificant change as I see it, because all it took to modify a character or monster was to change a number. 2.0E had Optional Rules and Powers, which split each stat in two. I liked that, but I am in the minority. 4.0E gives you the best of two stats to use for defenses, and that helps hide weaknesses. I prefer the one stat approach, because I do not like hiding character weaknesses.

Skills: They grew from nothing to incoherence in 2.0E to a an abominable list of 40 in 3.xE, to something much more usable in 4.0E. But I see skills as a sidebar to a base character, for the most part you can detach one skill system and add another without really affecting the base character design.

Feats: Pretty much the same as skills, they have improved with each edition. But again, a sidebar to base character design.

Combat: This may be blasphemy, but my group had house ruled out THAC0 long before 3.xE. I really do not see much difference in combat throughout the editions, just some number and source changes. Again, nothing that effected the character at the core of its design.

Classes: At its core, D&D has always had Fighters, Thieves, Clerics, Wizards, and variations on them. Character class is at the core of character design, and each edition has made changes to them. But in my opinion I could take a character from AD&D to 3.5E and still recognize that character as the same one by adjusting the mechanics around its core. However I believe that in going from any previous edition to 4.0E that the core is altered to not make it recognizable from what it once was.

Races: Like classes, at its core D&D is about Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Halflings, Orcs and many other unique and offshoot races introduced to add color. They fought Dragons and other monsters, often in Dungeons. This concept has not changed from edition to edition. 3.xE added the hated LA to exotic races, along with the equally foul monstrous HD. I love that 4.0E dumped them. But this was never a big change in the core character, it was a bookkeeping number change.

Here is my list of comments of likes and dislikes of 4.0E, from a different thread:

For Those Who Love, Hate, or Love & Hate 4E: What Did 4E Do Right?

What other categories am I missing?

Please comment on what I wrote, and why you agree or disagree with me.

Thank you.

Last edited:

AngryMojo

First Post
I understand what you mean by the changes from 3.x to 4, but the baseline game stayed the same. Task resolution, initiative tracking, even the action economy was, for all intents and purposes, the same. When 2nd edition changed to third, the baseline fundamentals of the game were altered, and many sub-systems were kept similar.

As an analogy:
Second edition is french fries. You put ketchup on them to make them taste better.
Third edition is a hamburger. It is a sandwich that you put ketchup on to make it taste better.
Fourth edition is a Reuben. It is a sandwich that you put thousand island dressing on to make it taste better.

Fries and hamburgers may have the same window dressing of ketchup, and a hamburger and a Reuben may be very different, but the hamburger and the Reuben are both, at their core, the same type of food where fries are not.

nightwyrm

First Post
I understand what you mean by the changes from 3.x to 4, but the baseline game stayed the same. Task resolution, initiative tracking, even the action economy was, for all intents and purposes, the same. When 2nd edition changed to third, the baseline fundamentals of the game were altered, and many sub-systems were kept similar.

As an analogy:
Second edition is french fries. You put ketchup on them to make them taste better.
Third edition is a hamburger. It is a sandwich that you put ketchup on to make it taste better.
Fourth edition is a Reuben. It is a sandwich that you put thousand island dressing on to make it taste better.

Fries and hamburgers may have the same window dressing of ketchup, and a hamburger and a Reuben may be very different, but the hamburger and the Reuben are both, at their core, the same type of food where fries are not.

I'm not sure I understood that metaphor, but now I'm hungry...:D

Doug McCrae

Legend
The major change of 4e was the classes, especially the powers. Monster design philosophy changed a bit but the actual stat blocks have a very similar structure from 3e->4e, it's the values that changed. And of course 4e is still d20. The combat chapter is remarkably similar, there are still 5-foot steps, opportunity attacks, minor, move and standard actions, etc.

Do you consider the late 3.5 splats? If so then the transition to 4e was extremely smooth. Bo9S had martial PCs with 'spells', fire-and-forget maneuvers that resembled per encounter powers in 4e. Some of them were supposedly non-magical but stretched credibility, just like Come And Get It. People said it was anime, just like 4e. Complete Arcane gave casters at will powers so they could now pew pew all day long. MM IV had monster fights with phases, rather like 4e's bloodied condition.

Last edited:

Clavis

First Post
Would that also include all the wasted bones? (And FWIW, IME the kids love the hotter wings more than the old folks. Go figure.)

Sure. 1st Edition had parts even Gygax didn't use! And part of what attracted me to AD&D at the time was the fact that it was definitely not intended for my age group.

malraux

First Post
4e and 3e are both on the d20 branch of the rules tree. I can pretty easily understand rules in either 3e or 4e. Reading rules in 2e makes little sense to me, and the approach to making rules seems even more divergent.

Remove ads