Signs

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

I just got back from Signs- a very good movie.

The acting was well done. Gibson was decent. Phoenix was very good. The kids were good for kid actors. They got better near the end of the movie.

The plot is well done- Shyamalan is again proving his talent. I hope no one ruins the story for you- it will hurt the suspense.

The filming was nice as well- there are some interesting angles and tricks used to show suspense. He definitly has the Hitchcock interest in showing the effects of events on the characters face...

argh. lightning storm..

more later

FD

Ranger REG

Explorer
I'm guessing from the dull tone of your message, you don't sound like you enjoyed the movie.

I mean did you nearly wet yourself when a frightening scene appears? Or did you heart race?

What are you feelings toward the characters in the film?

Crothian

First Post
I think his tone was flat becasue he didn't want to give anything away. I do that when I'm not trying to give thinks away. I haven't seen the movie yet, but should get to next week.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

Darn it- every time I log on.. another wave of the thunder storm comes in... oh well.

I really like the movie - it is one of the better movies I have seen in a long time.

Scares- there are a few jump scares, but they usually don't scare me. The ignorance-based fear is very strong - I did not know what was going on, and when I had a clue of what was coming, then it was even more awe inspiring/fear inducing.

It is a good horror movie- in the same type of horror as the Sixth Sense.

Characters- You get a good feeling from a lot of characters that there was a world going on before the movie started- which a lot of movies fail at.

The main characters take a little while to really get to know, but that is similar to his other movies. I found myself feeling with them through out their adventures.

And, yes, please do not apply tone- I just want to give no expectations or spoilers.

I would really love to talk about this movie with someone else, but I won't get to go with someone else until Sunday evening. (Oh yes, I am going to see it again. Perhaps tomorrow as well.)

Respectfully submitted
FD

LightPhoenix

First Post
Start a spoiler topic, I just saw it tonight as well. Definitely worth the money I spent to see it, even if the rest of the night hasn't gone so well.

*LP beats real life until it stops invading online life*

jaldaen

First Post
What I liked about the movie was that it was thought provoking and well written... the acting was great and the mixture of suspense and release (usually through laughter) was right-on... I'm highly impressed by Shyamalan's writing/directing ability and can only hope that he will continue to put out the quality of movies that I have seen in Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and now Signs...

Jaldaen

PS: I rarely say this about a movie, but this one is worth full adult price... although I lucked out with the student fare... ah the perks of graduate school ;-)

Darklance

First Post
An excellent movie. I never get scarred at movies that just rely on the old shock scare. The ignorance kind of scare that gets the hair raised on the back of your neck is what this one uses. Excellently done.

Phoenix was very good and even though I don't like Gibson in anything I thought he acted better then he had in anything I'd seen from him in years. Even the kids were good.

Another interesting idea is throwing comedy in there. I chuckled quite a few times. Over all I would recommend it to anyone.

Mild spoilers.

Well, hopefully this won't raise everyone's expectations, but that was the most frightening movie I've ever seen, and might possibly be my favorite thriller of all time. That ending! Whack! Yeah! Whoo hoo!

And I screamed during the movie at one point. First time I can recall screaming in horror during an actual movie. Man, for the next few hours I kept expecting stuff to come out of the shadows. I had to watch UHF to get my mind off things . . . crap, now I'm getting nervous again.

But yeah, it was great!

Terraism

Explorer
Slightly-less mild spoiler!

RangerWickett said:
Well, hopefully this won't raise everyone's expectations, but that was the most frightening movie I've ever seen, and might possibly be my favorite thriller of all time. That ending! Whack! Yeah! Whoo hoo!

And I screamed during the movie at one point. First time I can recall screaming in horror during an actual movie. Man, for the next few hours I kept expecting stuff to come out of the shadows. I had to watch UHF to get my mind off things . . . crap, now I'm getting nervous again.

But yeah, it was great!
I'm with you, Wickett. The [almost] last scene was absolutely wonderful. And, when we actually saw the only full-on, I was easily as awed as when I saw the Balrog for the first time watching Lord of the Rings, and I'd call that high praise indeed. That thing absolutely froze my blood - I don't know why, but I think it may have been the most horrifying creature I've ever 'really' seen. Wow. And, of course, I'm not even going to get into how great the movie's other (deeper) themes were; it was great. Now to go see it with someone else... :)

KChagga

First Post
Yup, I agree. I think that is the first time I have ever actually been scared by a movie. It left me feeling creepy all night. If anyone hasn't seen this movie yet go watch it.

Remove ads