Sins of Our Fathers - 2/10 - Final Update

Lela

First Post
handforged said:
The ring did work. Amelyssan gave Vath the rest of his life force (hit points) just before he died, allowing Vath to kill the Anhkeg.

~hf
If only it worked better though.

MooseHB

First Post
Yes we do

Destan said:
On a somewhat related note - do new readers come along when story hours are this far advanced?

D
I started reading this thread about two weeks back. Don't ruin the end for me, I am about halfway through.

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
gerg_861 said:
If you perhaps told us the name of the forthcoming supplement it would be much easier to buy...

No kidding. Had to laugh when I read this post. Truth is - I'm not quite sure what it's gonna be called. The Valus, probably. Not too terribly creative, huh?

Lela said:
So, did all those deaths happen at relitively the same time or were they split up? I know Baden was doing PbeM but how were you handling the split with the other characters?

Hmm...they happened within the same week in the game world, and they all happened in between the same two group sessions in the real world. I did a couple of tabletop sessions with Baden. John, Raylin, and Kellus were all together for a single, short tabletop session. Vath and Amelyssan died in our only WebRPG session thus far in this campaign.

For those who don't know, this group gets together about 2-3 times a year. Each time is a Thursday-Sunday marathon. We have one coming up the second weekend in March. Sometimes, when the game lends itself to such, we do in-character posts or emailing and, occassionally, solo adventures. Helps pass the time.

As Joshua Randall first said, and many of you have echoed: Never split the party. We know that...now. :)

Nasma said:
had you actually planned for the cricket/ ankheg scenario from when Vath's player first learnt of the prophecy? If so... wow.

No. I wish I could be that good at predicting my PC's actions. Heck, I never know what they're gonna do from combat round to combat round. The prophecy Nasma is referring to is when Ilmater spoke to Vath and said he would be killed by a burrowing creature. When I wrote that update, of course, I knew how Vath would eventually buy the farm. A little bit o' artistic license, if you will.

This story hour has now been going for just under eight months...

That long, eh? Whew.

...yet in that time it has been the most entertaining of any that I have read. Thank you for writing it, and allowing us to read something better that many published books, for free.

Actually, it's free to most people, but I charge WizarDru and Old One a minimal reading fee.

It is strange to think that the characters haven't even met Loroth yet, if this is just the beginning of the campaign, then I can only imagine what the rest of it would be like.

Yah, it all goes downhill from here. :) When I first envisioned the campaign theme, I wanted some behind-the-scenes uber bad guy. Loroth has always been out there, waiting, planning, working his little evil machinations and what not. The PC's are pretty ding-dang-dong advanced from where they are currently in this story hour, but they're still far from being able to go head to horns with the Big Guy.

dpdx said:
I have to say that that's the closest I've ever come to shedding tears over a Story Hour. Still, I've got to admire the honesty it takes for a DM to let the dice fall where they may, even if it results in the death of a PC.

Well, on WebRPG the die rolls were in the open, so Vath and Amelyssan were goners whether I wanted to be nice or not. And with John's death, it was just...obvious. I couldn't let him live and not have it appear as a complete cop-out to all involved. I do like to let the dice fall where they may, something ol' Pogre can probably attest to from his own DMing. I'm of the mind that the moment players feel that the DM will cut them breaks is the moment they lose a bit of the fun. I'm sure that's not the same for all groups, but I'm pretty certain that's true for the Olgotha Brothers.

DrZombie said:
Bugger this. You sure you aren't George Martin in disguise?

If only I could dare to dream...actually, you might remember me as the short, fat, bald red-robed DM from the 80's D&D cartoons. Or maybe not.

Will you post a link in this thread when you start your next one?

If we fire up another thread, you bet I'll include this link. I'd plan on starting Thread #2 right from the get-go, without any background or preamble, so the link will be needed if we can snare some unsuspecting new readers into this little tale of death and depression.

Oh, look! Here comes one now...

MooseHB said:
I started reading this thread about two weeks back. Don't ruin the end for me, I am about halfway through.

Pssst - everyone dies in the end. :)

Thanks to the folks quoted above and all you other little D&D addicts for posting and reading.

Now, I'm off to drum up some CR42 monsters for our upcoming March session! Where is Blackdirge when you need him...

Take care,
D

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
Destan said:
Now, I'm off to drum up some CR42 monsters for our upcoming March session! Where is Blackdirge when you need him...

Take care,
D
Don't forget the Jolly Giant. His stuff's already a bit higher CR wise anway. Just mix in some Vile Darkness and you're there. ;)

WizarDru

Adventurer
Destan said:
Actually, it's free to most people, but I charge WizarDru and Old One a minimal reading fee.
Well, yeah...but we get these swell membership cards. :D

Destan said:
Well, on WebRPG the die rolls were in the open, so Vath and Amelyssan were goners whether I wanted to be nice or not. And with John's death, it was just...obvious. I couldn't let him live and not have it appear as a complete cop-out to all involved. I do like to let the dice fall where they may, something ol' Pogre can probably attest to from his own DMing. I'm of the mind that the moment players feel that the DM will cut them breaks is the moment they lose a bit of the fun. I'm sure that's not the same for all groups, but I'm pretty certain that's true for the Olgotha Brothers.
The Meepites feel the same way. The only time I've ever pitched underhand, as it were, was during "Heart of Nightfang Spire", and they could tell that I was holding back. It's part of the reason we didn't play the module to fruition. There is a certain inherent contract between players and DM, for our group at least, that no challenge is worth its salt if there's no actual danger or risk of death.

The idea that death has no drawbacks in D&D is, to me, silly. To all but the highest-level players, death is a dramatic and unpleasant experience, at best. Death becomes more of an inconvienence than a crisis at 20th level, and sometimes it has a high price. As it should be.

Destan said:
I've got a slightly used Advanced Hlaf-Fiendish Elder Xorn I can let you have, cheap. :)

Len

Prodigal Member
WizarDru said:
I've got a slightly used Advanced Hlaf-Fiendish Elder Xorn I can let you have, cheap. :)
Oh, so that's why most of the monsters ran away at the end of the fight. You're hoping to hawk them second-hand to other RBDMs!

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
grodog said:
OK Destan, we know you're gaming this weekend: any juicy details to share? :D

Senor Doggy,

I must admit - it felt dang good to be rolling dice again.

As frostrune mentioned over in the Rogues Gallery, it was a fatal session for two PC's. One always must look before they leap when using teleport, eh? Especially if the whole party can't make it on the same trip.

The weekend was filled with bad beer, bad food, and bad die rolls. In short, it was pretty much perfect.

Until next!
D

Remove ads